Hope for Piston Ring Replacers

:
2003 Protege 5
Hey all:
Long time fan, first time poster. First, thanks to all who contribute. I replaced my clutch, valve seals, and piston rings using information found here. Second, for those blowing smoke everywhere in a P5, there is hope. I replaced my piston rings (block in frame, too lazy to yank engine) but did hone cylinders (they were pretty hazy, and not much cross-hatching left). The old oil rings were completely carboned up and seized.
At any rate, not only did oil consumption CEASE altogether, but my fuel economy jumped significantly. I have gotten anywhere between 60 and 100 kms on a tank of gas MORE than before. So if you are concerned about the cost of the repair, you will save the money in OIL and GAS in no time!
Now I just need sway bar end links, fix the dang rusty rear quarters, and eventually figure out the blasted ABS lights!
J

Thanks for the info! I'm gonna consider this for my future do to list as I want any mpg boost I can get.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Hey all:
Long time fan, first time poster. First, thanks to all who contribute. I replaced my clutch, valve seals, and piston rings using information found here. Second, for those blowing smoke everywhere in a P5, there is hope. I replaced my piston rings (block in frame, too lazy to yank engine) but did hone cylinders (they were pretty hazy, and not much cross-hatching left). The old oil rings were completely carboned up and seized.
At any rate, not only did oil consumption CEASE altogether, but my fuel economy jumped significantly. I have gotten anywhere between 60 and 100 kms on a tank of gas MORE than before. So if you are concerned about the cost of the repair, you will save the money in OIL and GAS in no time!
Now I just need sway bar end links, fix the dang rusty rear quarters, and eventually figure out the blasted ABS lights!
J

yup,i was losing 3-4 quarts of oil before fillup,with 270,000 on the motor.i replace valve seals before,but it didnt do anything.i just replace the motor..ill rebuild it later..also you should install the mazdaspeed protege oil cooler.i think this is one of the only mazda motors that doesnt come with one from factory

Back