What have you done to your MSP today?

Ahoy, used to own a 2.0 Probe, was getting ready to turbo/megasquirtnspark plus a few other fun things when when the 9 month timer hit.
Few weeks ago I noticed this clean titanium with a few minor issues shared a ton of parts with my old project, decided why not.
Past couple days, Replaced wastegate actuator, coil packs, Front brakes, all fluids, Passed smog.

That heat soak tho, Still have pipes and FMIC, but I don't think it's going to fit without some cutting. Not sure if I'm down with that. CXRacing FMIC looks like a reasonable option, Cant seem to find many threads on it. (Can the stock BPV be used without any fuss?)

... now where did I put that MS'n'S (uhm)
Look at the Pope side mount setup. PM if you can't find info on it.

If your gonna clearcoat them don't waste aby time or money on headlight kits. New or old. Just get some 800 wrdry and wet sand the crap out of them to get rid of yellowing/haze. You could start with 600 but finish 800. Any higher and clear won't stick.
Use a good quality 2k clear and laydown two to three nice wet coats. No sanding between.
I likethe valspar cause I can lay a nice full coverage wet coat, go sit for 20 minutes and do it again.
Two coats is plenty.
If the clear isn't as nice as you like you can wet sand 2500 and polish the cleat in 3 days. Maybe a week for 2k rattlecan. Do not try to machine polish 1k clear if you use it.

I will also add not to do too many wet coats. Any more than two will prob lift. Of course too much dry thickness will chip super easy Its. Balance act that takes practice.
With the clear I use I have my gun setup to drop a pretty even wet coat in one pass. A secobd pass or dustup would definitely run.
I do it twice and leave for the day.

I got all the way to priming the engine and Florida weather just let loose. Hopefully it just passes by and I'll be running and test driving.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk

So I got the msp checked out and there were some leaks in the fmic piping. They tightened it and checked everything else. The problem persists. Do you think it can be bad gas? That's the only thing we can think of.

New lower control arms, rear end links, cross drilled / slotted rotors and brake pads showed up this week. Calipers are already painted, so this should be an easy weekend working on the car.

Went to a meet last night with a bunch of MS3's and finally found a niche / crew that actually gives this car some props. The honda people that dominate a different meet are either ignorant about it, jealous, or just plain dismissive of it.

Lol guys called the mazda dealer about what kind of oil goes in the trans, and the guy asked if it was a freaking auto! Lmao.

Lol guys called the mazda dealer about what kind of oil goes in the trans, and the guy asked if it was a freaking auto! Lmao.

The guy at the autozone still thinks I have a 2004 Protege. lmfao..

Even when I told him its a 2003.5, he INSISTED its a 2004.. People are funny

The guy at the autozone still thinks I have a 2004 Protege. lmfao..

Even when I told him its a 2003.5, he INSISTED its a 2004.. People are funny
He would be right except with our car the second half of the year is technically the 2004 model. In our case the 2003.5 was the second run of mazdaspeed with the update to the Mazda 3 in 2004

b9e9e0a1a137dd0a5b027ddc823c4a03.jpg

Haven't done anything to my msp but here's a super rough concept to a 2017 mazdaspeed3 sedan (which in theory wud be the new msp) lol.
9c9b2b0e96f0e8ee908bcf6db36d32d6.jpg

He would be right except with our car the second half of the year is technically the 2004 model. In our case the 2003.5 was the second run of mazdaspeed with the update to the Mazda 3 in 2004

What? 03.5 is 03.5 not 04. The 03 MSPs were introduced and sold in fall 2002 and the 03.5s in early 2003, the 3 wasn't sold until summer 03.

Last edited:
Back