Lighter = Faster (RX-7 Build #2)

Posted a couple more pictures up on Facebook. Figured I should share them here as well. Not too much longer. Need to finish the rear window and waiting on some clips to install the sides.

IMG_20150713_152742754.jpg

IMG_20150713_152649899.jpg

So one thing I didn't mention is the fiberglass splitter I bought a couple years ago is pretty much crap. The body shop estimates it'll take 10+ hours to get it to sit straight and look "alright" so I told them not to bother. This got me to looking at other options to change up the front end a little. A couple options:

1. OEM Turbo II option front lip
2. Functional splitter

(1) is pretty much non-functional but it's an OEM option so I know fitment will be good. The downside is it only comes painted so it will have to get sanded, prepped, and re-painted, which means more money. (2) is definitely functional but doesn't look as nice and might be overkill. A third option might be to combine both... Thoughts?

Last edited:
So one thing I didn't mention is the fiberglass splitter I bought a couple years ago is pretty much crap. The body shop estimates it'll take 10+ hours to get it to sit straight and look "alright" so I told them not to bother. This got me to looking at other options to change up the front end a little. A couple options:

1. OEM Turbo II option front lip
2. Functional splitter

(1) is pretty much non-functional but it's an OEM option so I know fitment will be good. The downside is it only comes painted so it will have to get sanded, prepped, and re-painted, which means more money. (2) is definitely functional but doesn't look as nice and might be overkill. A third option might be to combine both... Thoughts?
Looking good!

#2! I don't think you would notice #1 with #2 and #1 isn't something I really noticed in the pic. Plus #2 seems like it could be added at anytime in the future

Looking good!

#2! I don't think you would notice #1 with #2 and #1 isn't something I really noticed in the pic. Plus #2 seems like it could be added at anytime in the future
I was leaning toward (2) as well. (1) has merit for the reason you mentioned - it's discreet. Mouting them together just serves to put (2) closer to the ground. There's actually two different versions of (2): a "race" version, which is the larger one with the winglets (see silver car on the site) and a "street" version, which is smaller overall and meets all SCCA rules (see blue car on the site). They also have a custom option, which I may consider because I think the "race" version is too crazy but the "street" version is too subdued.

I'm interested in seeing the car back together with the body color hatch surround. Nice build so far!
You can actually see the body-colored hatch surround in the second picture in post #181.

I was leaning toward (2) as well. (1) has merit for the reason you mentioned - it's discreet. Mouting them together just serves to put (2) closer to the ground. There's actually two different versions of (2): a "race" version, which is the larger one with the winglets (see silver car on the site) and a "street" version, which is smaller overall and meets all SCCA rules (see blue car on the site). They also have a custom option, which I may consider because I think the "race" version is too crazy but the "street" version is too subdued.

If you aren't doing a rear wing to go with it, I would stay away from a functional splitter. An air dam of some sort would be better for reducing air flow under the car without disrupting balance in high speed corners much. Ideally the air dam would include an undertray back to around the middle of the front tires. You will probably want to pair your splitter with an air dam when you get to that point anyway.

If you aren't doing a rear wing to go with it, I would stay away from a functional splitter. An air dam of some sort would be better for reducing air flow under the car without disrupting balance in high speed corners much. Ideally the air dam would include an undertray back to around the middle of the front tires. You will probably want to pair your splitter with an air dam when you get to that point anyway.

Thanks for the insight, Bill! Seems like the best option would be (1) with an added undertray, which wouldn't be hard to build myself. If my front bumper cover had a more consistent profile, like say, a Protege, I could probably make my own air dam altogether.

EDIT: Went with (1) for now. They come painted and I went with black as that would be the most inconspicuous if left unpainted. I plan on making an aluminum or ABS undertray for it that extends to the front wheels at minimum.

Last edited:
The car is "about done." Maybe this week so just in case I cleared out its space in the garage. It's amazing how much crap can accumulate in 6 months. Ordered the air dam but no update yet. Spent nearly $500 on OEM seals and stuff to start putting the car back together.

Good to hear. Be sure to spam us with pics!

I just saw that you're in Cincy. We should get together when both of our cars are done! Maybe go to an Ohio Rotaries meet.

Few more pictures of the car as it stood on Friday.

IMG_20150724_154439555.jpg

IMG_20150724_154510600.jpg

IMG_20150724_154545104.jpg

IMG_20150724_154529970.jpg

The side skirt on the passenger's side is a little wonky. I'm going to have them try to make it a little better. I love how the rear window turned out. It's still a little wobbly. Maybe I should have used 1 x .125 in. steel instead of aluminum. It wouldn't be too hard to make near straps in the future if needed.

The air dam is supposed to be delivered today and that's the last item on the list. If I drop it off tomorrow maybe the car will be done this week.

I just saw that you're in Cincy. We should get together when both of our cars are done! Maybe go to an Ohio Rotaries meet.
I'm annoyed I didn't find out about the OH Rotaries events until after I blew up the red car. I'll definitely try to be more active once this is running. Note I didn't say "finished" :D

You can rivet/bolt some angle type pieces inside the rear glass under the straps and even between the straps to stabilize it.

You can rivet/bolt some angle type pieces inside the rear glass under the straps and even between the straps to stabilize it.

I certainly can. There's actually straps both inside and out but they're both aluminum. I imagine some aluminum angles would still be lighter than steel and achieve a similar stiffness. I'll try that if it comes to it. Good idea, Larry.

Slowly putting things back together. Tackling the low-hanging fruit for now. The doors close and lock and it has side windows and mirrors again. Still need another ~$400 in door and windshield seals, but that's going to have to wait because I'm out of funds. I'll have over $1000 in seals before I'm done with this. Need to sell some stuff.

Slowly putting things back together. Tackling the low-hanging fruit for now. The doors close and lock and it has side windows and mirrors again. Still need another ~$400 in door and windshield seals, but that's going to have to wait because I'm out of funds. I'll have over $1000 in seals before I'm done with this. Need to sell some stuff.

Take your time and do it right! In the end you'll be much happier that you did. Looking incredible so far; can't wait to see this beast in person.

Race cars don't need seals! Just silicone them in. ;)

Looking good, buddy.

Race cars don't need seals! Just silicone them in. ;)

Looking good, buddy.

Because not racecar? Either way, the seals keep constant pressure on the doors and hatch, which prevents them from rattling. Toying with the idea of completely removing the remaining parts of the climate control system (fan, distributor, and all ducting) so I don't have heat or A/C anyway. Having it out of the way will make installing everything else so much easier, not to mention further reducing wiring and weight. Thoughts? Does anyone run the fan without heat or A/C on?

Back