P5 transmission issues

RatLabGuy

Huh? What?
:
'03 p5 and '89 4Runner; M5 (wife's)
Awhile ago, my P5 started to randomly pop out of gear. Seemed it was only when in certain RPM ranges.
Based on some reading, figured it was a warn syncro (185k miles), and planned to just swap it out w/ a new lowered-gear one sometime soon.
My commute is all local so I just avoided 5th a lot until I had time to do it.(yawn)
Then it started to slip out pretty commonly, and grind in the process.
Then it started to pop out of 3rd on acceleration, and 4th on occasion. Uh oh.

After a little more reading I decided to go ahead and check/change all the motor mounts. It rides really roug hand I knew they needed replacing anyway, the PO had put poly inserts in and I hate the vibes. Front top one was toast, front lower trans had a poly insert but was toast, top trans was OK. Didn't get to the rear one yet b/c it will be a well-documented PITA... but it looks like the PO put poly inserts in there too.

Previously I had a lot of vibes, this helped a little but not as much as I'd hoped, and made no difference on the shifter popping out. Damn I hoped I'd get lucky.

By Thurs, it would just grind when tryin gto engage 5th, and pop out of 3rd or 4th commonly enough I have to drive w/ my hand holding it in place to avoid surprises.
Then Fri morning, I backed out of the driveway, and unexpectedly found the stick is stuck in reverse. Had no problem going in and have not had any recent issues there. The stick just won't move. Clutch engages and disengages the engine fine, but the behavior if the stick shows no change.

I disconnected the stick at the connecting rod below (and checked the bushings at the same time, they are good and tight). Cannot move the gears pushing the rod directly either.

To me it sounds like something w/ the shift forks are just toast, I was hoping to eliminate all the cheaper options first. The behavior is very much like the syncros have not been fully engaging, like only half-slid in or something. Is that a common failure/behavior?
Only other thing I can think of is that maybe that rear mount is off so much, and the trans is sitting in a weird enough position that it is preventing the stick shaft from pushing full engagement. But I would expect then that it should work when I disconnect the stick at the bushings and try to push it directly?
Unless this is somehow a clutch system problem but I find that hard to believe?

I suppose I am just look at replacing the whole trans...

Awhile ago, my P5 started to randomly pop out of gear. Seemed it was only when in certain RPM ranges.
Based on some reading, figured it was a warn syncro (185k miles), and planned to just swap it out w/ a new lowered-gear one sometime soon.
My commute is all local so I just avoided 5th a lot until I had time to do it.(yawn)
Then it started to slip out pretty commonly, and grind in the process.
Then it started to pop out of 3rd on acceleration, and 4th on occasion. Uh oh.

After a little more reading I decided to go ahead and check/change all the motor mounts. It rides really roug hand I knew they needed replacing anyway, the PO had put poly inserts in and I hate the vibes. Front top one was toast, front lower trans had a poly insert but was toast, top trans was OK. Didn't get to the rear one yet b/c it will be a well-documented PITA... but it looks like the PO put poly inserts in there too.

Previously I had a lot of vibes, this helped a little but not as much as I'd hoped, and made no difference on the shifter popping out. Damn I hoped I'd get lucky.

By Thurs, it would just grind when tryin gto engage 5th, and pop out of 3rd or 4th commonly enough I have to drive w/ my hand holding it in place to avoid surprises.
Then Fri morning, I backed out of the driveway, and unexpectedly found the stick is stuck in reverse. Had no problem going in and have not had any recent issues there. The stick just won't move. Clutch engages and disengages the engine fine, but the behavior if the stick shows no change.

I disconnected the stick at the connecting rod below (and checked the bushings at the same time, they are good and tight). Cannot move the gears pushing the rod directly either.

To me it sounds like something w/ the shift forks are just toast, I was hoping to eliminate all the cheaper options first. The behavior is very much like the syncros have not been fully engaging, like only half-slid in or something. Is that a common failure/behavior?
Only other thing I can think of is that maybe that rear mount is off so much, and the trans is sitting in a weird enough position that it is preventing the stick shaft from pushing full engagement. But I would expect then that it should work when I disconnect the stick at the bushings and try to push it directly?
Unless this is somehow a clutch system problem but I find that hard to believe?

I suppose I am just look at replacing the whole trans...

Bingo. It's the most cost effective solution.

If the forks are worn, they will reach the end of their travel before engaging the gear all the way.

Just as a confirmation, I just finished removing both front crossmembers, and tried jacking up the trans from different angles... no change in behavior, still stuck in reverse. So not hung up from mount angle.

Now the fun begins... anybody got an extra trans laying around? (loser) (fart)

Back