After market leather seats ?

erhayes

Contributor
:
2022CX5 PP
I had a Mazda CX7 with leather seats which I liked. When I purchased my CX5, I decided on the Touring with the fabric seats because I didn't care for the 19 inch tires etc. That may not have been a prudent decision, now that I;ve owned the vehicle 3 years. There are leather covers I believe for the CX5, I would be interested in locating the manufacture AND people who have upgraded to leather. Maybe upgraded isn't the correct work here but, bear with me. Ed

I had a Mazda CX7 with leather seats which I liked. When I purchased my CX5, I decided on the Touring with the fabric seats because I didn't care for the 19 inch tires etc. That may not have been a prudent decision, now that I;ve owned the vehicle 3 years. There are leather covers I believe for the CX5, I would be interested in locating the manufacture AND people who have upgraded to leather. Maybe upgraded isn't the correct work here but, bear with me. Ed
Try Katzkin leather seat covers highly recommended by Ulrich many times. He said Katzkin leather has much better quality than CX-5's OEM "leather". You can try to PM him for more details but he's been MIA from this community for a while!

That's why I "only" got a Touring with cloth seats and then had the seats upgraded to (real) leather using Katzkin seat covers. The GT had nothing that was worth the extra money to me, aside the leather seats, so I actually saved some money in the process. Katzkin seats should be right around $1000.
The other thing that was in stark contrast was the cloth seating - some kind of basic open-weave cloth that is going to inhale dirt. My 2012 Mazda 5 Sport has a much tighter weave cloth that does a good job combating dirt (plus I ScotchGarded it myself). Luckily, this dealer has a Katzkin installer nearby, so a leather interior is just $1000 away.
Before you pull the trigger there, talk to the installer -- not the dealer -- about color options. If you just go for the "OEM match" you will get the "Sand" equivalent (I think they call it "Putty"); that was a bit of a surprise for me, since I expected to get the "Parchment" [equivalent] I saw in the 2016 GTs (the Katzkin name is "Alabaster", I believe). That may be a little light, but I think it actually looks better with the car's ceiling (which is close to parchment), and I was not quite as happy with the "Sand" color match in my 2016 as I was with my "old" 2015 (RIP). Point being is that they have lots of shades that are just a smudge different and that might be more aesthetically pleasing to you. I know I had long discussions with the Katzkin people about their choice of "Puddy" when in my mind a neighboring color was a much better match. Oh well.

I believe the "Alabaster" would also hold up longer/better than the OEM "Parchment" because in my experience/opinion Katzkin's leather is better quality than what you get from Mazda. But that is purely subjective...

Also, if you like a firmer driver/passenger seat, they can add extra padding at the time of the installation. No extra charge.

There are other names as well besides katzkin, like LeatherSeats.com that do "seat cover replacements"( this involves taking off the oem seat covers and recovering them to have the best finish). Another thing is...its a good time to add heated seats when getting this done.

I have katzkin installed in my cx-5 sport. Im very happy with the quality and would recommend them, but looking forward to trying LeatherSeats.com on my next vehicle.
2wmj8lk.jpg

Last edited:
...but looking forward to trying LeatherSeats.com on my next vehicle.
2wmj8lk.jpg

I used leatherseats.com in 2008 for my 2001 Miata. Selected them only because at the time Katzskins demanded that professional installation for warranty coverage while leatherseats.com encouraged owner installation, honoured warranty and even sold installation kits. Additionally, they claimed a number to call for installation assistance. The material was hands down superior to OEM. The fit was excellent. I did have a problem getting a seat part off and a call to the help line - answered immediately - got me the needed solution. My brother now owns the car and the seats still look like new. The cost was a third of OEM as I first priced Mazda replacment. I would use again.

Just sayin'

Brian

I realize it's a long commute for you but Coach Automotive in Beaverton, OR installed seat heaters in our CX-5 Touring. They also do high end leather seat conversions. I've seen their work and it is first rate. http://www.mycoachleather.com/

Back