First Mod!

:
Mazda Protege5
Okay, don't get too excited, it's pretty tame. Made a run to the local U-pull-it place and got a wiper switch out of a Ford Escape. Now I have variable intermittent wipers. Woo hoo!

I grabbed a 16" antenna off a VW Jetta. It was like new and a perfect to replace my cracked one.

Total cost $9.50 for both items.

Here's a picture of the of the Escape variable intermittent wiper switch:

IMG_2529.jpg

Here's the antenna I got off a Jetta:

IMG_2534.jpg

I'm not sure if the antenna is a VW OEM part or not. There are a lot of similar antennas on eBay.

It's a super easy improvement to make. Find an early 2000-ish Ford Escape or Mazda Tribute as a donor. Remove 5 screws and you're all set. It's about as plug-n-play as you're going to get.

You can find the used switches on eBay for about $25. But, just about any U-Pull-It junkyard should have an Escape of that vintage and the part should cost you less than $10.

Nice score on that wiper stalk! I paid a wee bit for more mine but it's worth every penny!

the wiper mod is a cool improvement to our aging p5. slowing adding modern car features.

too bad it does not rain enough in cali to justify this mod for me

Sweet, I'm gonna go out and see if I can score the same wiper switch too.

That's way too cheap and easy for me to ignore,... now I just gotta get off my ass and do it,...

one of my proudest achievements... adjustable intermittent wipers for my car.
I used the wiper switch from like a 2005 or 2006 mazda6 hatch on my protege sedan. I have the switch for the rear wiper, it just doesn't do anything.
Sometimes i think it's my light switch though... then i wonder why my lights aren't doing anything while i'm twisting it through the settings...

OP, I can help you out with another simple cool mod to add more modern features..........what about the sylfex aux mode board that plugs into the bottom of the stereo in the tape/md hole and gives you 3.5mm aux input to run mp3 playas and such into the stereo? I'll can hook you up with the board and a cable if interested.....................I swapped to GROM audio box that has usb playback/usb charging/ipod/aux connections so the other one is just hanging around in a ziplock.

Cool... Nice wiper mod. Pulling off the roof rack cross members and filling the holes with factory blanks and also replacing the antenna with an Acura RDX stubby one really updates the look of the car. Those are the only two "mods" I've done to my car and it looks great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP, I can help you out with another simple cool mod to add more modern features..........what about the sylfex aux mode board that plugs into the bottom of the stereo in the tape/md hole and gives you 3.5mm aux input to run mp3 playas and such into the stereo? I'll can hook you up with the board and a cable if interested.....................I swapped to GROM audio box that has usb playback/usb charging/ipod/aux connections so the other one is just hanging around in a ziplock.

Yes, I'm interested in it. I tried to PM you, but it doesn't appear to have been sent. I don't know why.

Back