Freaking Finally: 16vPete's Mazda2

Car is looking good ! Love that blue and black . Curious as to your impressions on the Dunlop's they may be my next tire . Keep up the good work .

Car is looking good ! Love that blue and black . Curious as to your impressions on the Dunlop's they may be my next tire . Keep up the good work .

Thanks a lot man! So far after a little beating these tires are pretty damn grippy, waaay more than the crappy all seasons. They don't screech and can handle some transitions and on/off ramps really well. The ultimate test will be next weekend when I autocross it, I'll definitely report back.

Your car is definitely inspiration for me to look into a lip, I think I'll have to message Rodrigo about that.

oshp4k.jpg

New nylon shift knob! Improved shift feel by a surprising amount and moved it a little closer to the steering wheel.

I also did my first rice mod! In an effort to cover the badge holes temporarily, I put a performance-oriented sticker on it from some HPSs I had on my old Protege. I don't have Hawks on the 2 just yet, but I plan on it, sooo...

fast-and-furious_fb_1935755.jpg

Last edited:
Where did you attain the butt plug looking thingy? I maybe interested in also owning a butt plug looking shift knob? In all seriousness i want a black one

5y5aac.jpg

Installed my DDMWorks rear swaybar last night in the garage at my new apartment. Really easy install, and I was able to squeeze under the car with just one side jacked up (I'm pretty skinny). The drill bit I had made short work of boring out the beam, and everything fit nicely. I have yet to test drive it but I will today and will report back.

Holy crap is it nice having a garage! I bought a huge ass push broom, and am going to buy some cheap shelves and a mini fridge - gonna turn it into a sweet mancave.

Took the deuce out on my secret suburban test track, including a secluded section of road I call "Corkscrew Lite", and man does the sway bar make a difference! The handling is much more neutral and under normal spirited driving on the street there is barely any understeer. The rear end rotates so much better and keeps the car nice and planted when powering out of a corner.

Best $100ish and 20 minutes of my time ever!

I pre-reg'd for my first autox with Windy City Miata Club this Sunday! This will be my first race in 4ish years, yikes...

Got my SA2010 helmet in the mail today, car got its first oil change over the weekend, the suspension's holding up and still feeling great (might put the rear shocks to full stiff when I can beat on it a little in the burbs this weekend), I'm really excited!

I'm really anxious to find out how the Dunlop DZ102s do between the cones. I'll bump up the pressures a bit but I don't think very much. They've proven to be great on the street and predictable in the rain.

Dear Diary.

Yesterday's autocross proved to be a great time! The car's setup was good, I consistently improved my times, I kept it smooth, didn't break anything... aces!

The course was a technical one as it was a smaller lot and I was running with a Miata club who primarily have well-prep'd NAs.

30utk5t.jpg

My setup was: rear shocks set to full stiff, fronts set to 2 clicks below full stiff, RSB, Dunlop DZ102s at 39 psi rear, 37 psi front. The car was glued to the road in sweepers and slaloms, and negotiated through the boxes without any trouble.

The course was so tight I had to downshift to 1st 3 times! An instructor rode along with me for the afternoon session (I got 11 runs all day - pretty awesome) and gave me a few tips, otherwise said I was making good use of the 100 hp and kept things really smooth. My line was a bit different than a lot of folks, some of the tighter stuff was definitely meant for the built NAs.

The tires held well! I was genuinely surprised at the amount of grip and how much punishing they were taking. Thanks to the car's light weight and low power I never really over-drove them, the instructor also noticed this.

I probably should've loosened up the rear end just a tad, in some of the slaloms the rear end would kick out a tad and slow me down.

All in all an excellent time and an excellent first race with the lil' deuce!

24qquyp.jpg

Great write up of your event . I can't believe you got so many runs in . I'm going to pull the trigger on the Dunlop's myself .

Took some fake HDR shots of the deuce this evening after its weekly wash and wheel cleaning

tumblr_nbx4qdSO5m1r3hbt4o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_nbx4qdSO5m1r3hbt4o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_nbx4qdSO5m1r3hbt4o1_1280.jpg

Back