On the psychology of cops and minivans

Usually this is what I do on my commute. I've been going 75mph with everyone else the the CHP passes us by still.
Yeah, CA CHP.... step above the Rampart PD. Doing 90mph with lights blaring with no where to go..... then again, can't complain. Moron police behavior pays for all my toys... so I say let the morons be morons...

You'd be on on the Yugo forum..... (shrug)
LOL

... but then I just stiffened the suspension and continued at that pace.

Ha! Yes, agreed, it's all relative.

My point was: speeding and the Mazda5 are mutually exclusive. Sure, a slow car can be fun to drive around the curves if properly tuned, but I find the 5's poor acceleration to be a real bummer. Of course, the benefit of that is that it prevents excessive speeding. If you're speeding in the 5, you're gonna know it by the resistance the car gives you.

My point was: speeding and the Mazda5 are mutually exclusive. Sure, a slow car can be fun to drive around the curves if properly tuned, but I find the 5's poor acceleration to be a real bummer. Of course, the benefit of that is that it prevents excessive speeding. If you're speeding in the 5, you're gonna know it by the resistance the car gives you.

Maybe I am misunderstanding but acceleration and speeding doesn't always equate.

I don't see how acceleration prevents speeding as you said.

My 1199 Panigale accelerates like bat out of hell, but I never exceed 70mph on it.

A Semitruck has very poor acceleration, but lots of them do 85mph+ on highways in the middle of nowhere.

Personally my Mazda5 has no problem doing 90mph. Is it as quiet as a Lexus LS600hL? Of course not. Doesn't mean either can't do 90mph effortlessless.

If my 1967 Mini Cooper S can do 85mph with a 1380cc motor, a modern Mazda5 can easily be "speeding"

In Los Angeles you can see Prius drivesr doing 90mph all day, and they have some very poor acceleration.

Most of the DB9 and 911 Turbo guys are doing 65mph in the middle lane, just like the 458 drivers.

Fast is all relative depending on the fastest / slowest thing you drive. Some even consider their stock Mazdaspeed3 or WRX fast ;).

Perhaps, but my other car does 0-60 in around 3.5s and still don't find the acceleration on the 5 to be a bummer. (dunno)
Would it be nice to have more power, sure, but I have outgrown driving aggressively on a daily basis and having the car be slow has mellowed me out for the better

Perhaps, but my other car does 0-60 in around 3.5s and still don't find the acceleration on the 5 to be a bummer. (dunno)
Would it be nice to have more power, sure, but I have outgrown driving aggressively on a daily basis and having the car be slow has mellowed me out for the better

Agree 100%. It's not super fast, but is very fun to drive. When I was cutting my driving teeth I had a four-banger early 80's Mustang with a 4 speed manual. The roads where I lived curved up and down and around hills. Hardly a straight stretch to be found. That car taught me how to carry speed through turns to make up for lack of power, how a proper line was more fun and faster. I later had cars that had more power but at times I missed the 'stang. The 5 brings fun to a family hauler. That's all I can ask of it.

Its not fast, it has a bit of pep but I love hammering through those six gears like a dirty *****.

Its not fast, it has a bit of pep but I love hammering through those six gears like a dirty *****.

*****...mazda5..sliding doors..YUMMY MUMMY

I once owned a 1991 Civic Hatchback HF model. 4 forward gears. Vinyl seats. No passenger side door mirror. No tach, no AC. 67HP. 1.5L. One of the most fun cars I ever owned.

I later upgraded to a 1991 Civic Si hatch and then a 1991 CRX Si Hatch, but nothing was fun as my underpowered HF.

Maybe I am misunderstanding but acceleration and speeding doesn't always equate.

You're right. It's my personal, experience, however that a car that accelerates quickly gets me in trouble more often. The speeding tickets I did get when I was a foolish youth, were often not on major highways, but on county or residential roads. The desire to feel acceleration is what led me to speed. It also influenced me on highways, because it was more fun to pass when you had some boost. It's also often true that cars with quicker acceleration have greater top speed, and they are often far more composed at high speeds than the 5.

So, I stand by my opinion that the Mazda5 is really not built for speed. I am older now, wiser, and a more careful driver, but when I do have a chance to drive a fast car, even at my progressed age, I often find myself punching the accelerator for the pure joy of it. The Mazda5 just doesn't offer that thrill.

You're right. It's my personal, experience, however that a car that accelerates quickly gets me in trouble more often. The speeding tickets I did get when I was a foolish youth, were often not on major highways, but on county or residential roads. The desire to feel acceleration is what led me to speed. It also influenced me on highways, because it was more fun to pass when you had some boost. It's also often true that cars with quicker acceleration have greater top speed, and they are often far more composed at high speeds than the 5.

So, I stand by my opinion that the Mazda5 is really not built for speed. I am older now, wiser, and a more careful driver, but when I do have a chance to drive a fast car, even at my progressed age, I often find myself punching the accelerator for the pure joy of it. The Mazda5 just doesn't offer that thrill.

Agreed.

It is a lot more fun to press the accelerator on my MS3 than the Mazda5. But the Mazda5 isn't a slouch, in its relative class of car, that is all I was saying.

If the Mazda5 did offer that thrill, it wouldn't be a 17-19K econobox. I mean I am paying Honda Fit prices for a car that I can have the whole family of 6 people on a road trip :)

I too enjoy acceleration, but I LOVE the 0-70mph and then letting off.

Having been 170mph on 2 wheels, top speed doesn't do it for me as a 0-70mph onramp roll.

Life is about compromises...

Everything is relative to situation, is the 5 extremely fast? No, but when compared to most of the other pedestrian passenger vehicles out on the road from the likes of Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Ford, GM, Chrysler, and the list goes on, the 5 is in the same league. The 5 isn't grossly under powered when compared to what their competition offers for people movers. I have no problem passing vanilla pedestrian vehicles like the Corollas, Camrys, Cruzes, Focus, Fiestas, Civics, Accords, Elantras, Sonatas, Odysseys, Sienna's, you get the point, none of those vehicles are going to be winning any races either. The Mazda 5 becomes a lot faster when you know how to wring the gears out like a " dirty *****. " I have surprised several BMW's, Mercedes, Mustangs, Chargers, and etc... by passing them because I know how to wring the gears out on the 5 and maximize every amount of torque that it has to offer. I borrowed a 370Z for several days and took it on many of the same driving routes the 5 goes on, and while the 370Z was a blast to drive and went from 0-60 in less than 5 seconds, I can say that the 5 was more composed at 60-75 mph on curving on ramps than the 370Z.

The 5 is remarkably balance. Weight transition in turns is very smooth and controlled. I'm addicted to driving it - 90K miles on my 2012 Sport 6MT now. Road noise is giving me a beating, but man that steering wheel feels awesome. And yes I think it's invisible to cops' radars and even eye vision :)

Road noise is giving me a beating, but man that steering wheel feels awesome. And yes I think it's invisible to cops' radars and even eye vision :)

I spent an evening and about $100 in materials to quiet down the 3rd row area and the front doors and the difference is enough to not give me headaches anymore. Makes the car so much more pleasant to be in.

Back