Has anyone got this problem with i-stop?

Hi pauly69,
I've had no problems with car pulling right. It may sound basic but have you checked your tyre pressures, mine were all different when i checked after the first week after collecting from the dealer! The reversing camera appears to be accurate any problems I believe to be due to myself just getting used to it. I'll check the direction of my wheels next time I reverse.
Going back to the istop problem, my car has cut out one more time since. And after a motorway trip last week, after I came off the slip road onto a roundabout with traffic lights, the engine suddenly went racing of it's own accord, it sounded as if it was not firing on all cylinders, it made no difference when I depressed the clutch. I just had to wait a for the engine to settle ( held up traffic) and once it went back to normal I was ok without further incident.
Today while driving engine warning light (Engine inspection required )has come on perminanently and is booked in with RRG forMonday. Something's not right, which is disappointing because I am pleased with car except for these minor issues.

Thanks for the update. I have a separate thread in the tires section about my problem - long story short the dealer fixed it after unnecessarily mucking about with tracking and finally being advised by Mazda Japan how to reset the steering angle sensor (which feeds power steering, camera, reverse camera, istop etc). Now the car steers just fine.
Good luck with the dealer, if RRG are like my dealer they are very much still learning as they go when it comes to the CX5. Took several visits to dealer before they resolved it.

I've had my CX-5 for 2 months and done 6500kms. I-stop was fine for about the first 3 weeks but now won't activate. It coincidentally stopped working at the same time I first pressed the switch to turn it off (when I was idly waiting for my wife one day!). My dealer has no idea but will check it out when it goes in for it's 10,000km service. Just updated the navigation today so that now it uses kilometres rather than miles. Other than that it has been running fine. Will be towing my race car on trailer with it on Sunday which will be the first time I have towed with it so looking forward to seeing how well it tows.

Up date on my CX5. Cutting a long story of disappointment short. It has been with the dealer since the 16th July, Mazda Japan are involved. The error logs have been interrogated, the EMU has been updated (this hasn't fixed it). The regional expert has been to the dealership to take a look. The latest is that another CX-5 of the same specification is to be delivered on Monday 30th to use to bench mark my car against and to swap parts over...not great. The concern seems to be the engine racing and not being able to do anything to stop it, although the problem cannot be replicated, it must have shown up along with all the istop problems in the error logs. I'll keep everyone posted. It has took the shine of the new car experience that is for sure.

Hi all sorry for hijacking the thread haha but I have Just recently purchased a brand new CX5 and was just wondering when I picked the car up the Istop icon on the dash was not illuminated until I pushes the button but now the amber light is constantly illuminated and when I hit the button it turns green, I'm just wondering if when I turn it off should the Istop icon be constantly illuminated amber as it never was when I brought the car?

Hi all sorry for hijacking the thread haha but I have Just recently purchased a brand new CX5 and was just wondering when I picked the car up the Istop icon on the dash was not illuminated until I pushes the button but now the amber light is constantly illuminated and when I hit the button it turns green, I'm just wondering if when I turn it off should the Istop icon be constantly illuminated amber as it never was when I brought the car?

When I turn my istop off, it is shown as amber. If I press again (so as to turn it back on), the lettering is 'invisible' i.e. cannot be seen. It is not green. On restarting the car, the istop word is again invisible i.e. it is 'on'.

Last edited:

Hi Dan13l... I found that initially (I have had my car 3 days now) the i-stop wording was either amber, or if I turned it off the writing disappeared all together. At this point the i-stop did not work at all.

When I managed to clock up 300 km on the dot, suddenly the i-stop activated and started working, the i-stop word is now always green when on and if I turn it off the writing goes amber.

Yes - I too have a new CX5 and can't speak highly enough of it - fantastic car...

Hi all! just got my new zeal red cx-5 last monday, absolutely love it!
Here is just one thing i'm not really sure about my istop function, when I picked up my car last monday, master warning light was on and istop was flashing yellow, dealer explained as the battery was not fully charged at that time. I drove around 30kms on monday night and the master warning light turned off and istop light became constantly green. but on Wednesday afternoon, when I started my car, the master warning was back on again and istop was flashing yellow. Has anyone came across this situation before? Is this normal? Thanks

My iStop just stoped working by itself as well.... the dealer delivery told us it's something that is always turned off unless turned off for that journey only.... will let you know if I come across something (wow)

My i Stop didn't work until the Car clocked up about 250 km's or so.

Now works well.

The i Stop stopped working most of today and then started working later on!! The Batt Amps must have dropped earlier on?

The i Stop stopped working most of today and then started working later on!! The Batt Amps must have dropped earlier on?

I-stop - and hill assist (I have a manual) on my car work very intermittently mostly not at all - the only way we can get this to function more consistently is to turn radio and complete heater function off. One thing we have noticed that daytime side lights go off when you pull on the handbrake. Battery has been tested and is okay - and the hazards don't always flash when arming the alarm. Its booked in to the dealer.

Idle stop shuts down vehicle's engine automatically when the car is stationary and restarting it when the driver resumes driving. Not currently available on Mazda CX-5's sold in US market.

Hi Dave from NZ, bought a Mazda 3 sedan brand new from Capital Mazda five months ago. It was this or a brand new Corolla. Great car love it but the i-stop has now practically given up the ghost. Took it to the dealer and they said basically get used to it as the battery has to be charged up to 75%. They say I am not driving it enough, and to get the i-stop working I should do longer trips. So what they are saying if I drive to work which is 28kms, not far enough go the long way round do twice the distance and the green light might come on. That is totally Chinese, to save fuel I have to go twice the distance. Totally not acceptable. I have read the manual and know how the system works and has been great for the first five months. Just doing small trips around locally I won't achieve this 75% is seems. It is now been followed up by Capital Mazda - they have tried to fob me off, but sorry they've chosen the wrong person. Thinking I should have gone for the Corolla now. Any ideas. It has a Q85 battery by the way. They mentioned a battery stabiliser - what does that entail? They even suggested I disconnect the battery and charge it in the garage. No way. My 74 Kombi and my Corolla which has done 400,000 kms don't need that so not doing it top a brand new car. Any ideas?

Does anyone know if istop works on an angle or only straight on? In other words if you are at a stop street that angled to the road you are turning right on and the car in front of you is angled ready to creep out and suddenly jams on its brakes. Will istop work if you also started to pull out behind him since the rear of their car would be at an angle?

Hi Dave from NZ, bought a Mazda 3 sedan brand new from Capital Mazda five months ago. It was this or a brand new Corolla. Great car love it but the i-stop has now practically given up the ghost. Took it to the dealer and they said basically get used to it as the battery has to be charged up to 75%. They say I am not driving it enough, and to get the i-stop working I should do longer trips. So what they are saying if I drive to work which is 28kms, not far enough go the long way round do twice the distance and the green light might come on. That is totally Chinese, to save fuel I have to go twice the distance. Totally not acceptable. I have read the manual and know how the system works and has been great for the first five months. Just doing small trips around locally I won't achieve this 75% is seems. It is now been followed up by Capital Mazda - they have tried to fob me off, but sorry they've chosen the wrong person. Thinking I should have gone for the Corolla now. Any ideas. It has a Q85 battery by the way. They mentioned a battery stabiliser - what does that entail? They even suggested I disconnect the battery and charge it in the garage. No way. My 74 Kombi and my Corolla which has done 400,000 kms don't need that so not doing it top a brand new car. Any ideas?

Listen to them.

i-stop can't work on a cold engine or you'll wear it out really fast. The snowflake only shows you coolant temperature, oil takes about 10 miles to fully come up to temperature, and it is what protects your engine when it stops and starts. If it operated as you wanted it to, it'd be like driving a regular vehicle and literally stopping and restarting the engine at every long light on cold oil, which is the worst possible thing you can do for engine wear.

Strange then that it worked OK during the winter but not now in summer and I'm driving 28km to work and back and the green light never comes on.

Summer = more AC usage

The compressor is still engine driven so if the engine shut off you'd get lovely hot moist air

Back