505 Cold Air Box Round 2 *GB*

(rockon)

Production is finally ready to begin on the new and improved 505 Cold Air Box. This version has all of the same benefits and features as the first gen boxes:

CIMG2444.jpg

Benefits:

Lower intake air temps (testing shows average 5 degrees above ambient outside air temps, shielding your filter from the up to 180+ degree underhood temp)
No hydro-lock issues like every other Protege CAI
Much cleaner filter location than other CAI's, prolonging filter life and extending time between cleanings
Looks great under the hood (anodized black or silver finish is standard, also available bare if you want to do your own custom finish)

Boxes include:

Trim-Lok edging
Attached quarter-turn quick-release DZUS fasteners
IAT sensor port
Stainless steel mounting hardware

Piping kits include:

T6 aluminum piping
Silicone couplers
Clamps
Hose
Breather port
1" BPV port on turbo models (optional)

In addition to the above, the 2nd generation boxes are now designed to work with any BJ platform headlight! This means that you '99-'00 owners can now get in on the fun!

The overall shape has been changed a little bit from the original to eliminate the need for a specific box style depending on what headlight you have, so it now looks like this:

CIMG5922.jpg

Full kits are available that include everything you need - box, filter, piping, and hardware. There are 4 different full kit styles available - N/A, MSP, and 3" turbo. Full 4" systems are custom (I will work with you and go over pictures to get you the best possible system for your setup).

- N/A uses 2.5" piping plumbed straight to the throttle body (with the MAF in the middle).
- MSP is for stock-ish setups that use the stock turbo and have the MAF on the intake pipe.
- 3" turbo is for setups that have a relocated or deleted MAF and a turbo with a 3" compressor inlet.
- 4" turbo is for setups that have a relocated or deleted MAF and a turbo with a 4" compressor inlet.

It is HIGHLY recommended that you relocate your MAF on the MSP setups. The piping and filter setup is MUCH better.

Individual pieces are also available- the Cold Air Box by itself if you want to fab your own piping, or piping kits if you want a quality lower-cost SRI setup without the box.

Options and Estimated Pricing:

Box only (3") = $209
Box (3") + filter = $229
Piping Kit only (N/A, MSP, 3") = $129
Piping Kit (N/A, MSP, 3") + filter = $149
Box + Piping Kit (N/A, 3") = $309
Box + Piping Kit (MSP) = $319
Full C.A.B. Kit (N/A, 3") = $329
Full C.A.B. Kit (MSP with relocated MAF) = $339
Full C.A.B. Kit (4", MSP with non-relocated MAF) = $359

* Final pricing will be announced before deposits are taken, but I do not expect these to go up much if any. If we get 20+ people it might be possible to bring pricing down.
**All prices do not include shipping. Actual shipping costs for your location will be due when your kit is ready to ship.
*** Custom upcharge options are available (within reason). Let me know if you want something different (no window, no A/C line cutouts, upgraded filter, etc) and I will see what I can do for you.

Deposits will be taken once the list hits 10 or more people, and production will then begin. Estimated time from deposit to delivery is 6-8 weeks.

Batch 2 is all sold out. Please PM me if you are interested in getting on the waiting list for batch 3.

1. Hammo - 4" kit, black, BPV yes *SHIPPED*
2. msp14 - 3" box + piping, black, BPV no *SHIPPED*
3. atlracer25 - MSP kit - black - BPV yes - relocated MAF *SHIPPED*
4. gangstagangsta- 3" kit - black - BPV no *SHIPPED*
5. Woody1969 - 3" box + filter - black - + additional windowless lid *SHIPPED*
6. mazdaastina1999 - Box only (3") - Black *BOXED*
7. ZealoustheEnder - Box + MSP Piping (relocated MAF) - BPV no *SHIPPED*
8. Linuxracr - 3" Box + piping - Black - BPV no *SHIPPED*
9. Anonymous - Box only - Black *SHIPPED*
10. Anonymous - Box only - Black *SHIPPED*
11. Anonymous - Full N/A Kit - Black *SHIPPED*

Last edited:
I made a bunch of different window configs today, and after combining the best looking parts of each, this is what I think is the best way to go:

There will be a radius on each point instead of just a sharp corner, but that is the gist of it.

Better?

Last edited:
I like it! makes the air filter seem almost center in the window. I would be just as happy with no window though so don't let my opinion speak for everyone.

Window is shaped more like 1st ones. I like it...just a little more lid and less window but same shape tho. It ties back better to version 1.0. Version 2.0 now looks like evolved version 1.0 with universal fit corner added. Si bueno..............

On the first lid design, couldn't you weld a pipe at an angle on the inside of the box and have the filter go in the same direction as the opening? Idk how you have the filter mounted but I'd imagine it's just a pipe welded in there. Just trying to throw out options, liking the design of the box so far though.

I do like this last design though. Just saw it, was still stuck on page 4 when I posted previous comment..

On the first lid design, couldn't you weld a pipe at an angle on the inside of the box and have the filter go in the same direction as the opening? Idk how you have the filter mounted but I'd imagine it's just a pipe welded in there. Just trying to throw out options, liking the design of the box so far though.

It's possible, but I'd have to move the piping a little closer to the fans in order to get the base of the filter to fit on an angle, which might cause issues for some people.

Glad to see the positive impressions so far. I have the final price sheet all wrapped up except for material, which I am expecting the email quote for this evening or tomorrow. So far so good and the listed prices in the OP are what we'll be going with as long as material hasn't gone way up.

Window is shaped more like 1st ones. I like it...just a little more lid and less window but same shape tho. It ties back better to version 1.0. Version 2.0 now looks like evolved version 1.0 with universal fit corner added. Si bueno..............

This^^^

It's possible, but I'd have to move the piping a little closer to the fans in order to get the base of the filter to fit on an angle, which might cause issues for some people.

No need to mess with any piping outside of the box, you have plenty of room inside the box. Add a 165-170 deg (not sure what the exact angle would be) elbow or curved pipe on the inside of the box, right before the filter. It will just push the filter further into the box

My filter is longer than what most seem to be using with this box. It is custom sized one that I picked out measurements for when using it with the SRI I had.

323F_mtr_04.JPG

Adding a 20-30 degree elbow so the filter is parallel with radiator support wouldn't fit with my setup. IMO, it looks best as is just being straight inside the box but hey, your car, make it work if you want it that way. I guess the pipe inside the box that filter mounts to could be angled to point filter at different angle and that could be a possible option if seller decides to do something like that. Ask and see if that floats your boat. I just don't see that that would make it look or function any better or fit real good even........

Last edited:
Is it cool to have mine without the window??? (solid lid) and just a logo on the center of the lid... Cheers!

All of the minor details have been worked out. PM's have been sent to everybody on the list for final options and deposit info. Will be updating the list as deposits come in.

Since everybody wants a black box so far, that is going to be the only option other than bare for this batch. Anybody else that wants to get in on this batch only has about a week to do so (final order at waterjet will be going in as soon as the majority of the deposits are received).

1. Hammo - 4" kit, black, BPV yes
2. msp14 - 3" box + piping, black, BPV no
3. LinuxRacr - 3" box + piping - black - BPV no
4. atlracer25 - MSP kit - black - BPV yes - relocated MAF *DEPOSIT PAID*
5. Gangstagangsta- 3" kit - black - BPV no
6. Woody1969 - 3" box + filter - black - + additional windowless lid
7. protegedude25 - N/A Box + piping - black
8. mazdaastina1999 - Box only (3") - Black

Last edited:
1. Hammo - 4" kit, black, BPV yes *DEPOSIT PAID*
2. msp14 - 3" box + piping, black, BPV no
5. Gangstagangsta- 3" kit - black - BPV no

2. msp14 - 3" box + piping, black, BPV no *DEPOSIT PAID*
5. Gangstagangsta- 3" kit - black - BPV no *DEPOSIT PAID*

2. msp14 - 3" box + piping, black, BPV no *DEPOSIT PAID*
5. Gangstagangsta- 3" kit - black - BPV no *DEPOSIT PAID*
6. Woody1969 - 3" box + filter - black - + additional windowless lid *DEPOSIT PAID*
8. mazdaastina1999 - Box only (3") - Black *DEPOSIT PAID*

Last edited:
Back