Introducing the All-New 2016 Mazda2

Antoine

Administrator

Say hello to the All-New...

and All-SkyActiv Mazda2 (Demio in Japan)!

14672841515_b79d0b889b_o.jpg

14486207898_f569fecedb_o.jpg

14692726903_324c957817_o.jpg

Official Video of the all-new Mazda2!
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/sGm8cnBdhQU?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

More pics!

14500972658_258c1ca3a9_o.jpg

No confirmed engine details for North America (that I know of yet)...It does appear that it...

* Rides on a 101 inch (2570mm) wheelbase (3 inch / 80mm increase over current model)
* Has increased 6 inches (160mm) in length (now 160 inch / 4060mm)
* Sits 1inch (25mm) higher than before (now 59 inches / 1500mm)
* Remains unchanged width-wise at 67 inches (1695mm)

For Australia...

* It appears you will have a choice of two 1.5L four-cylinder gasoline engines
* The base model engine is rated at 106hp / 79kW of power (up 4hp / 3kW) and 102ftlb / 139Nm of torque (up 3ftlb / 4Nm)
* No confirmed specs for the larger engine

Release Date...

It looks to be late 2014 for Japan and Australia...North America?

What do you guys think?

Also, be sure to check out our very own Mazda2 Forum / http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?329!​

Looks "Sky-Active" and "forgetting" the old Demio very quick.............but why not the sharkvin on the roof ?

Last edited:
I think it looks good. Much better than the current 2. I'm eagerly awaiting N. American engine and fuel economy numbers. I see no reason why a 1.5L SkyActiv engine with 100 hp and 100 ft-lb shouldn't be able to get 35/45 mi/gal city/highway. It needs to be markedly higher than the numbers being put up by the 3 and 6 otherwise there's no benefit to the car other than its lower price. I'm looking to ditch my current 2 for this very reason.

Quick question: curb weight? That is one of the best features of the current 2.

Quick question: curb weight? That is one of the best features of the current 2.

Seeing as this 2 is going to employ the SkyActiv platform, and will therefore be akin to the 3, 6, and CX-5, the curb weight will most likely be less than it is on the current car. Depending on how much extra equipment they fit to the new car, I would imagine it could come in at about 2200 pounds (1000kg). As far as I know, the curb weight of the current 2 with a manual transmission is 2309 pounds (1047kg). I don't think shaving 50kg off the weight is out of the question.

Seeing as this 2 is going to employ the SkyActiv platform, and will therefore be akin to the 3, 6, and CX-5, the curb weight will most likely be less than it is on the current car. Depending on how much extra equipment they fit to the new car, I would imagine it could come in at about 2200 pounds (1000kg). As far as I know, the curb weight of the current 2 with a manual transmission is 2309 pounds (1047kg). I don't think shaving 50kg off the weight is out of the question.
The current 2 is already pretty stripped down - lightweight hood and doors, extraneous panels removed (e.g. no front undertray), and few redundant controls (e.g. one door lock switch). A 1.5L SkyActiv engine shouldn't weigh significantly less than the current 1.5L engine and with a length increased by 6 inches and a height increased by 1 inch I imagine the car will weigh the same, if not more than the current model.

It looks like my arm will be touching the door/window controls if I would hold the steering wheel at the 3 or 4 o clock position. It seems tight.

Official video posted from Mazda...

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/sGm8cnBdhQU?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Looks great, but I wish they didn't change the wheelbase and overall length. From a fun-to-drive and maneuverability standpoint, I like the fact that the 2 is one of the most (if not THE most) compact subcompacts.

How does the new size compare to the other cars in the it's class? I suspect Mazda needed to add to the size to make it's design language work.

Looks great, but I wish they didn't change the wheelbase and overall length. From a fun-to-drive and maneuverability standpoint, I like the fact that the 2 is one of the most (if not THE most) compact subcompacts.

Last edited:
I wonder if you could stuff the 2.5 under the bonnet of this thing......one can dream! It looks very upscale and its definitely a step up from all the other subcompacts out there

Well, doesn't it fit in the current 2? I'm pretty sure it was done with heavy modification.

I wonder if you could stuff the 2.5 under the bonnet of this thing......one can dream! It looks very upscale and its definitely a step up from all the other subcompacts out there

Back