Harsh engagement, Loud clunk, Lurching Forward when Shifted from Reverse to Drive

i have this problem since we bought the car used. what i did was change the fluids for like 3 times but not the filter. (coz im lazy) anyways, it did remove the harsh engagement better than before. unless your car is fairly new then that would be a different story.

i believe i have experienced this same problem today. it happened about three times and went away after. i hope the jerking and thud noises never return. Typeshulder, is your wife's CX-9 previous problem fixed?

I had the same problem with my 2012 cx-9 (42k miles now). I was driving me knots. It felt like a car hitting me from behind or bad engine mount. It wasn't until 40k miles that the dealer replaced a leaking transfer case and leaking rear differential seal that the problem disappeared. it could very well be your transfer case and not the transmission causing the problem. Ask the dealer to inspect the upper part of the case with a mirror.

i believe i have experienced this same problem today. it happened about three times and went away after. i hope the jerking and thud noises never return. Typeshulder, is your wife's CX-9 previous problem fixed?
Our ecu was reflashed in October and the issue just came back today. I called to speak with the service manager, but he wasn't in, so I'll call back Monday morning.

Hi Phillips 1983,
I have a 2013 CX9 sport. I noticed when I first night the car, taking the car out of park into reverse seemed a little loud but it is intermittent and now I have a new problem and that is from Reverse to Drive and it's loud and car jerks forward. So I know its definetly not right. This is my 4th Mazda car to own but first time for SUV. I never experienced this before. Now I know you traded your car in, but have you heard anyone these with this problem and if they found the solution to this problem? If so many 2013 models are having the same issue isn't it part of some kind of lemon law? I don't know where to start. I am going to have the dealership look at it again but if you and others are not getting the problem resolved what can I do. I can't afford to be out of a car, rental car, etc. I also can't afford to put a down payment on another car. So if you know what the procedure is to just give the car back and have them get me into another car due to their faulty transmission, please give me direction. Im a single mom with kids and have no other car to drive while car is down. Thank you.

I have a 2012 38K that does this under certain circumstances. I feel like it happens after I have quickly shifted from reverse to forward. If I reverse, stop, neutral, let foot off break for a second, break, drive I don't have this issue. I do notice it if I am going quickly between reverse and drive and don't allow the car to disengage from reverse to drive with a complete stop. I don't have the issue all the time. It is very noticeable and frustrating when it happens.

Hi, I started this post back in September and here is more information:

Here is my timeline:
7/23/13 - (717 miles) Car clunks/jolts into drive from R/N/P
Performed: Auto Trans Electronic Diagnosis
Result: No Change

8/07/13 - (978 miles) Car clunks/hits hard into drive from R/N/P
Performed: Shift Shock - Reflash PCM/TCM
Result: Worked for ~100 miles then problem came back

8/15/13 - (1214 miles) Car engages harshly into drive from R/N/P
Performed: Replaced Trans. Control Module
Result: Worked for ~200 miles then problem came back

8/22/13 - (1345 miles) Car engages harshly into drive from R/N/P
Performed: Replaced Trans. Control Module Again

8/26/2013 - Contacted BBB for assistance (Not much help at all)

9/10/13 - (1792 miles) Car engages harshly into drive from R/N/P
Performed: REPLACED Automatic Transmission
Result: New Trans. helped a little but CX-9 still shifted harshly

9/24/13 - (2290 miles) Car still engages harshly into drive from R/N/P after news Trans.
Performed: Mazda master tech drove vehicle acknowledged problem but said everything is working up to Mazda's specification
The new installed transmission created more/other problems: harsh downshifts into 4th gear, clunking/jerking out of 3rd gear, and the CX-9 would rev itself upto 4000+rpms when downshifting.

Mazda acknowledge the problem was present each time but after the 6th visit to the dealer, they changed their tune and know stated that everything is normal. I lost all respect for Mazda so...The end result: after taking numerous days off from work to get this car repaired, I was fed up. I could no longer put my family at risk in this dangerous/unsafe/unpredictable car so I ended up taking a loss and I traded in the CX-9 in for a different (better) brand. I hope Mazda can fix your CX-9's. Best of luck to all.

I have a 2010 GT AWD. I've noticed on rare occasion a bit of a clunk when first engaging the transmission, typically on my flat driveway in the morning. However, the transmission shifts fine and the only issue I've had with the car at all was the transfer case that was replaced under warranty six months ago.

Remember this is not a Mazda transmission. It is an Asin (?sp) which is the same one used in Lexus and numerous other premium brands. If you are noticing the same problem with the new replacement transmission, I wonder if you are just hypertuned to the occasional clunking noise that any transmission can make on occasion. I presume there have been no actual failures and that you have never been left stranded at the side of the road so your baloney about "dangerous/unsafe/unpredictable car" is more a reflection of your neurosis than a knock on Mazda or Asin.

I have a 2012 Mazda6 V6 with this same exact issue. I believe the CX9 and 6S use the same Aisin ATX right? minus the AWD components of course...

My problem is intermittent, but getting more frequent. I notice it most after some city driving (stop and go, or after driving in heavy traffic) which makes me think its heat related. I was thinking maybe a motor or transmission mount is going, but that wouldn't be intermittent would it?

When going from N to D, or even worse, R to D, it literally feels like someone rear-ends me, like others have said. I've also started to notice when its in one of its slammy shift moods, that it seems to have less power to the ground off the start, almost like the feeling of starting off in second gear, and also makes a rattle/crunch/chug kind of noise when first accelerating (hard noise to describe).

I have been to mazda 4 times about it already, but the problem never seems to be present when i'm there...go figure. Since they haven't witnessed it, they wont do anything about it. They tried talking me into a transmission flush and fill, but I don't want to pay to "fix" something that should be covered under warranty. My 6 was bought as a certified pre-owned, so it has an extended warranty up to 100K miles I believe. Other than this issue, it shifts and runs fine!

I was doing some digging around the internet, and looked up the issue on other cars that use this same Aisin transmission, like various Fords and Volvos. I found several instances of the problem on Fords with this transmission, the harsh engagement. The solution on Ford's part seems to be to replace the valve body.

I have an appointment at the stealership on Friday about this and I plan to bring up the information I found. Ill report back afterwards.....

Last edited:
I have an '08 AWD GT. Transmission has been as smooth as any Lexus.
Aisin is partially owned by Toyota (hence Lexus), and is deemed as a satellite company of Toyota.
It supplies transmissions to Toyota/Lexus/Volvo/... many others. It is 3rd largest in the world when it comes to transmission.

That said, your '12 and '13 vs. my '08 should be the same mechanically.
I haven't heard of many transmission issues since I came on this forum since 2008.
I put my bet on either a bad batch of transmission or software issue.
Under the pressure of MPG, I am sure Mazda might have re-tuned the transmission software, which might be the root cause of this.
Hope a solution is found for you guys.

Also if you're over 50k you most certainly need a transmission fluid exchange. And make sure they sue the correct TOYOTA fluid in the TOYOTA transmission.

Denying a suggestion to prevent damage and to replace most likely worn fluid probably won't help your warranty case...

I have a 2012 CX-9 and had on occasion the clunk and jolt into drive. I brought it into the dealer and they flashed the computer and updated. I could tell an immediate difference in shifting. I will report any change. So far so good. Also, this is a "fill for life" transmission so if someone tells you to change the fluid inquire. Every model year is different.

I have a 2012 CX-9 and had on occasion the clunk and jolt into drive. I brought it into the dealer and they flashed the computer and updated. I could tell an immediate difference in shifting. I will report any change. So far so good. Also, this is a "fill for life" transmission so if someone tells you to change the fluid inquire. Every model year is different.

Here's the logic of fill for life:
When the transmission dies, the fluid is no longer needed.

Change the fluid.

I experienced the same clunking and lurching today on my 2013 AWD CX-9@ 31,000 miles , when shifting from reverse to drive out of a parking stop, definitely not normal, it wasn't a subtle lurch either. I see you have a FWD, so logically we can conclude the problem lies with a common component, ie transmission? It was a violent lurch sort of like when a person doesn't know how to drive a stick shift. I'll take it to have the dealer look at it and update afterwards.

*update* so went to dealer and explained the problem to them, they agreed to change transmission fluid and rear differential fluid for free. Problem seems to be solved.

so far looks like an isolated problem: when this lurching/jolting occurred, I happened to be parked at an uphill incline in a tight parallel parking spot between two cars. I shifted into reverse first to get some wiggle room upfront, then shifted to drive to pull up a little bit (this was the first jolt) then I had to put in reverse again to get a better angle to get out of the spot since space was tight, when I put into drive again that was when it lurched and jolted violently (I actually thought I hit the car in back of me, but I was no where near it's bumper)

I think it was a combination of the uphill incline plus the multiple reverse and drive shifting within a minute time interval caused the lurching/jolting condition. I have since been unable to replicate the violent lurch *knock on wood* this never happens on a level surface.

Last edited:
Mazda was able to fix my issue: loud clunk and drive engagement.

I had the same problem, 2012 cx9, harsh shift into drive from park like the tranny was going to fall out. Mazda flashed my computer and it hasn't happened in 5k

Hi, I started this post back in September and here is more information:

Here is my timeline:
7/23/13 - (717 miles) Car clunks/jolts into drive from R/N/P
Performed: Auto Trans Electronic Diagnosis
Result: No Change

8/07/13 - (978 miles) Car clunks/hits hard into drive from R/N/P
Performed: Shift Shock - Reflash PCM/TCM
Result: Worked for ~100 miles then problem came back

8/15/13 - (1214 miles) Car engages harshly into drive from R/N/P
Performed: Replaced Trans. Control Module

8/22/13 - (1345 miles) Car engages harshly into drive from R/N/P
Performed: Replaced Trans. Control Module Again

8/26/2013 - Contacted BBB for assistance (Not much help at all)

9/10/13 - (1792 miles) Car engages harshly into drive from R/N/P
Performed: REPLACED Automatic Transmission
Result: New Trans. helped a little but CX-9 still shifted harshly

9/24/13 - (2290 miles) Car still engages harshly into drive from R/N/P after news Trans.
Performed: Mazda master tech drove vehicle acknowledged problem but said everything is working up to Mazda's specification
The new installed transmission created more/other problems: harsh downshifts into 4th gear, clunking/jerking out of 3rd gear, and the CX-9 would rev itself upto 4000+rpms when downshifting.

Mazda acknowledge the problem was present each time but after the 6th visit to the dealer, they changed their tune and know stated that everything is normal. I lost all respect for Mazda so...The end result: after taking numerous days off from work to get this car repaired, I was fed up. I could no longer put my family at risk in this dangerous/unsafe/unpredictable car so I ended up taking a loss and I traded in the CX-9 in for a different (better) brand. I hope Mazda can fix your CX-9's. Best of luck to all.

Hi, I have a 2011 CX9 with 73K miles and i have noticed that when I shift from park to reverse or drive the change is hard it feels like the gear skips. My husbands mechanic thought it could be a sensor in the transmission.. Has anyone heard of such thing? I really cannot afford a new transmission..
Otherwise my CX9 has had no other problems..

Hi, I have a 2011 CX9 with 73K miles and i have noticed that when I shift from park to reverse or drive the change is hard it feels like the gear skips. My husbands mechanic thought it could be a sensor in the transmission.. Has anyone heard of such thing? I really cannot afford a new transmission..
Otherwise my CX9 has had no other problems..

If it's an AWD CX9 they have transfer case problems (Ford part) and have extended the warranty on the part. Visit your dealer.

Keep in mind harsh engagement is normal when shifting from park into reverse or drive, if you are parked on a slope with the parking pawl fully engaging the vehicle's weight. I.e. parked on a slope, vehicle rolls forward and stops against the pawl. But while driving around and going from reverse to drive you should not have an issue. The whole "expecting more from Mazda" arguement..... I would frustrated as well but since 2007 this is the first thread to address this ever happening. I'd say our trans has a pretty good track record.

this happened to me tonight, backing out of parking lot with a downward slope; after backing out and shifting from reverse to drive
there was a harsh engagement like a clunk, I'm pretty sure it was because of the slope, any recommendations to keep from happening ?
I guess maybe hold the brakes for 5 seconds before shifting ?

stop completely, shift, let it engage, then release the brake to drive

Don't be a reverse floater, it won't end well over time.

stop completely, shift, let it engage, then release the brake to drive

Don't be a reverse floater, it won't end well over time.

^ This sounds like good advice. I really don't trust automatics. I know their durable, but it seems like new or old, they shift HARD when load is on them (I.E. not using the parking brake and letting the weight of the vehicle rock on the tranny when parked, shifting drive modes while moving, etc.). With all this model's drive line issues, I always come to a complete stop when switching from reverse-drive or the other way around and wait a beat after shifting into drive to go ahead. Makes me look like an old man/ sloooowwwww driver, but I'm not trying to impress anyone, I drive a CUV now (lol2).

Manual > Automatic :)

Back