Cannot retract rear caliper piston far enough

:
2002 Protege 5
So on my rear driver side caliper piston cannot be retracted far enough to fit over the new pads. Otherside is fine.

When I rotate the screw to move the piston it move smoothly and I can move it in or outward. But it get to a point where the screw rotation is a little rough almost as though there is debris. It will rotate further and I can feel the piston move a little, but pretty much stops after that, even if I continue to turn the screw.

Also, to note: I have the entire caliper removed with the bleed valve open and not brake line attached.

This leads me to believe that the piston maybe hanging. Another 1/8" and it would clear.

Any advice?

Yes I realize I can replace the caliper, just trying to look at my options.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I don't really understand if your post was meant to be a joke? Or maybe you didn't read my entire description.

if you are implying I don't know how to move the piston by adjusting the screw (after taking the cover bolt off) you didn't read what I wrote.

Again, when I adjust the screw...... the piston moves...... bother directions..... but I cannot retract it ALL the way, if moves back to a certain point and stops.

Something is probably binding. I would force the piston all the way OUT as far as you can, and use some compressed air through the fluid hole to blow it out of the caliper. BE CAREFUL! The piston can come flying out with a lot of force! Once it's removed, inspect behind the piston for debris, and run the retraction screw through its full range of motion.

I had the same problem a couple of times. Retract it as much as you can and then put some light pressure on the piston with a c-clamp, then take it off and it will have broken up what was making the piston bind. I know its not technically the best option, but if youre short on time, its always gotten the job done for me.

Thank you both for the response, I was a little afraid to use the C-clamp to push it back as I was worried about if there is debris (crud) pushing over the seal.

But both are good advice, I have removed cylinders before so I can remove it (carefully) and clean it. But I will try the above mentioned, will let know what happens.

Small update,

the C-clamp worked. A little fluid shot out the main inlet and it freed up after that.

Tightened everything down started the car AND................................................. same problem, well specifically my original issue, soft pedal.

So now back to where I was before. Master cylinder replaced, rear passenger side caliper replaced... I think I need to pull off the MS and rebleed it. it's the only thing I can think of that could still no be right.

Does ABS give any bleeding issues? I've heard that before on some cars, but never seemed to have any problems on the p5.

Back