What have you done to your Mazda5 today?

Click on "this" he hyperlinked it.

hqdefault.jpg

Damn you kids and your "technology" that befuddles us luddites and elderly people! I was hoping for an e-bay supercharger, or some such LOL

Today I muscled through the unplowed snow in the back lane by my driveway and went around town picking up the people who told me yesterday they don't like driving in the snow :) We have snow tires on it (the first car we have ever had with snow tires) and I am very impressed. I was also afraid that the low ground clearance would be a problem but I didn't even come close to getting stuck. In a half hour I meet the same people out in the parking lot and drive them home.
This is a nice change because these people often drive me to work when my wife has the car.

Winter = Snowballed

What started off as hey, sounds like the idler is making a racket, guess its time to swap it, snowballed into, mine as well as do the serpentine belt, its getting old, into oh wait, the AC compressor belt has to come off first mine as well replace that too. Then realize, crap this is a stretch fit belt so I decided to get the alignment tool. Concluding with, Fit, mind as well do the AC compressor clutch bearing too since all this crap is coming off. Luckily parts cost is <$100 but dang
(hand)

Last edited:
What started off as hey, sounds like the idler is making a racket, guess its time to swap it, snowballed into, mine as well as do the serpentine belt, its getting old, into oh wait, the AC compressor belt has to come off first mine as well replace that too. Then realize, crap this is a stretch fit belt so I decided to get the alignment tool. Concluding with, Fit, mind as well do the AC compressor clutch bearing too since all this crap is coming off. Luckily parts cost is <$100 but dang
(hand)

So is this "AC compressor clutch bearing" a recommended maintenance item? If so, how hard to replaced - hopefully it doesn't need pressing/pulling.

thanks

One thing almost always leads to another. When I replaced mine it turned into a greek tragedy of failed and failing bits and pieces. On the plus side, once it was all done I had a much happier 5

Finally, finally, finally got a set of real MAZDA branded all weather mats to replace the Subaru rubber mats I have been running for almost two years :( Big thanks and best wishes to Davicho, without whom this would be impossible. Oh, and rolled over 216K on the way into work this AM...

Finally, finally, finally got a set of real MAZDA branded all weather mats to replace the Subaru rubber mats I have been running for almost two years :( Big thanks and best wishes to Davicho, without whom this would be impossible. Oh, and rolled over 216K on the way into work this AM...

Congrats Ross! and enjoy!

Washed twice - looks a lot better but still dirt pouring out of some crevices and holes, meh!
Prev. owner had no garage, any tips on killing algae & moss?

After finishing the install of Infinity 2-way components in the back along with some butyl rubber mats, started the same process in the front.
My HU is also on the way now - Sony XSP-N1BT It is a bit of an experiment. Folks seem to like the unit but hate the phone app (which is not 100% necessary).
Hm, do I go Metra, or Scosche, or ??? for the dashboard cutout?

I found the Scosche to be a better match to the color and sheen of the factory plastic. I got a Metra from Crutchfield way back when I installed my Pioneer and I sent it back, the silver was blotchy at the edges and looked like crap-o-la.

Cursed my own laziness. I've been putting off replacing a slow leaking left rear tire because the set is due for replacement next month. Well this morning whatever was stuck in that tire came out along with all the air. Two patches later the tire holds air again and I can put the compressor back in the garage. BTW turned over 217K this morning, so 9 days to go 1,000 miles...

Got some kyb's put on the rear of my 5. It feels so much better. The passenger rear shock was blown, so it was much needed!

These arrived yesterday.

Mazdaspeed3 brake swap is almost complete. I'll be running stainless steel lines up front. Hawk HP+ pads are coming on Tuesday, so expect pictures of the install shortly thereafter. I'm planning on running stock wheels with a spacer, so we'll see how much it takes. I've got 3mm and 5mm spacers. If it doesn't work at all, gen1 mazdaspeed3 wheels are on deck, but need new rubber. Hopefully they won't be needed!

Back