ZPS Build Thread

Supposedly the miata 1.6 Mazda 2 and Mazda 3 can use the same flywheel but you have to mix and match clutches.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Yea hopefully we will be installing it this weekend. There were a few people who said on here that the 1.6L Miata flywheel fits. Well when I looked into it about 6 months ago Mazda even said that the Mazda 2 flywheel was the same part number as the 1.6L Miata. Doesn't say that anymore though because they changed how they list the numbers. Also the pressure plate is the same mazda part number. The clutch is different because it has different splines. For a clutch I will be using a ACT HD pressure plate with their 6 puck spring clutch....again because racecar.

So yea have your hopes up it all goes together.

Interesting to note. Great find. The stock prices are stupid low even from the dealer. I think the entire stock Mazda2 clutch kit is $200 total. And new flywheels are $186.

Do you know if the stock 1.6 Miata flywheels have the tone ring on them like the 1.8 does?

Best of luck with the install, looking forward to your impression.

Jeff, What do you mean by tone ring?

OK so the install went great. Took about 7 hours while taking a bunch of pictures. Nothing really gave me a hard time which is nice. Transmission is 79lbs. Here are some pictures of interest. First is the flywheel with clutch and pressure plate.
1936285_10102413121067958_6127087391674751057_n.jpg

Here is the stock parts which I was replacing.
12742502_10102413120998098_502798120930404608_n.jpg

Funny enough the stock flywheel is heavier than the flywheel, clutch and pressure plate I put in. Also for the lightest weight the stock clutch and pressure plate could be used. This is mainly for an autocross setup where it doesn't get too hot. My clutch has a bunch of life left at 73K miles, just with the heavy flywheel it got hot and slipped a bunch on shifts on track. How hot did it get? Well it is purple in some spots. Not sure if from manufacturing or from it slipping on track.
12745443_10102413121127838_7620579526217791322_n.jpg

Oh and here is the flywheel installed. I am going to email this to 949 and see if I get a contused email back.

12687799_10102413120933228_44982372524258940_n.jpg

So yes it seems like my earlier research was true that the 1.6L Miata flywheel was the same part number as the stock Mazda 2 one. I am going to wait until 500 miles are on it before I really get on the new setup though to allow it to break in. So far what I can say is that the clutch is heavier, but not by much when fully down. You know how they design the clutch so when pressed all of the way the force required gets easier. Well when your foot is on the floor this one isn't bad at all. Just when you are at the grabbing point where it is heavier. Not too bad though. My Miata is worse. I have yet to stall it as well which is nice. The only thing is I do get some shuddering when leaving in 1st, but since this car doesn't get driven much on the street I am not worried. I will be driving it a bunch right now just to get the clutch broken in before the trackday. Oh and the new tires came in on Friday and will be getting mounted on monday.

Ok so time for some more data. The morning before I put in the new flywheel and clutch I took a video of a rev from idle to redline so I could compare how much faster it reved up afterwards. Well before it was 0.9 seconds and after it is 0.674 seconds so 75% of the time it used to be.

I can't wait until I get moles on it and can drive it hard to see how it goes.

So I will post some of my early thoughts on the clutch. It is heavier at the engagement point, but when your foot is to the floor it isn't bad at all. There is some shuddering I am trying to figure out. Mainly with light starts on the street. If the RPM/s are higher than it is better. Only when going into first gear. This morning I didn't get any though. We will see how it all turns out. About 110 miles on it at this point. Once it gets close to 500 then I would think it was really broken in and I will report back. Because of the shudder I would say my setup isn't for everyone. I am only DDing the car right now so I can get miles in it before my next trackday. Also at some point I am going to try an AWR engine mount to see how that effects the shuddering if it still does it.

Productive weekend on getting the car ready for the first track day of the year. I got the oil changed, pulled the lower control arms to change the bushings, re aligned the car, bled the brakes, and pulled the lower lip off. The lip was hanging down from a couple of months ago where I hit a tire tread while changing lanes in the middle of the night.

Old
12745449_10102424782443468_5794726000272430923_n.j  pg

New
12717388_10102424782428498_9139037130760662610_n.j  pg

Oh and autocrossed the IS this weekend. Such a fun car.

Zach

Damn, you were busy over the weekend. I've had no regrets pulling the lip off mine, that thing annoyed me since I bought the car. The miata is ready for AMP, though I didn't have nearly as much to do. We are still waiting on Katie's sa2015 zamp helmet that I ordered back in november...hopefully it comes soon.

I'm really curious to see how your time trial stuff goes. Reading about it in the last GRM got me thinking about it again. I wonder if JZilla experience counts towards a license.

I am planning on running with ITrackMotorsports. Don't think that they have one. I could be wrong though. I will look into it again later.

Interested in how this new clutch/flywheel setup turns out, when the time comes in a few years it would definitely be cool to go more performance-oriented. I assume the clutch/flywheels job is a super straightforward FWD job, too.

Unless your doing track stuff the stock clutch and pressure plate would be fine. The lightened flywheel would be nice though. If my car was a DD I wouldn't be happy with it because of the shuddering and it definitely takes more concentration to shift smooth. If you didn't have a puck clutch would probably be better as well. Right now I have about 260 miles on it.

Oh and you know how with the AC on you have to shift faster since the RPM's drop fast. With this light of a setup you really have to shift quick.

To install it it was pretty straight forward. The only tips I can offer was that it took a lot of effort with a pry bar to get the driver axle out. The passenger side doesn't have a clip so it just slides out. Also you do have to pay some attention when getting the transmission out and in because the part of the housing where the differential is gets into the front subframe. Nothing terrible, just it doesn't just come right out, you have to angle it a little. we used a transmission stand which helped a lot, but 2 people and a jack would work too.

Well Yesterday was the first trackday of the year for me. Good times. It was raining the morning of, so the first session was in the rain and raining. Second session was wet but drying and by the third it was dry. The car in the rain was a challenge to drive. Just couldn't get heat in the rears so it just slid everywhere. I have video from my second session and as long as it turned out good it should be entertaining to watch. I will post it once I go through it this week.

Other than that the car was great. Set my new best at AMP with a 1:41.47. The RE-71R's are awesome. I was doing 1.2G pretty consistently in turns and one hard transition which also goes uphill I was spiking 1.6G. No issues with the new clutch which was good. I just need to work on braking hard and getting my shifting smoother for some of the quicker shifts where I don't brake much. Need to get the car louder too which would help. Hard to hear it still with windows open and a helmet on.

Back