New to forum getting cx-5

:
Mazda cx 5
Just registered on the forum. Looking to get my wife a Cx-5 must be awd. Looking for input from owners on packages. Things you have but don't really need vs things you wish you would have got.

Background she is a stay at home mom of 1 currently. Soon to be working on our second. Prob going to buy used and not worried about higher mileage. (She doesn't drive that much about 6000 a year avg) so with that a higher mileage car will become reg mileage in a short time.
Live in Pittsburgh and her awd on her current Impreza has helped/ compensated for lack of snow driving experience. I'm working on getting her better at that.

I drive a Toyota Tacoma with 6' bed been a multi Tacoma owner for past 8 years and about 7 of those on tacomaworld.

We like the cx-5 for the rear seat room. She's comfortable with the size and the cx-9 rear seat didn't add enough value for us to justify the price.
Thanks for any input

Last edited:
I have a 2016 CX-5 GT fully loaded.

2016 has the newer infotainment system. It is much better than previous models and I definately recommend trying to get a 2016 if you can find a good priced on a used one (since u are looking used)

There isn't a item I regret having. I literally use it all. The navigation and voice controls for it work great. At first I thought I would still be using my phone, but the voice controls are easier than other cars i've used for navigation. People dislike the Bose stero, It is fine, it just isnt amazing. It's part of the pckage and it's good enough for me that I dont want to upgrade. I use the heated seats in the winter quite a bit, though they don't get as hot as some cars, I also don't need to keep adjusting them like some cars because of this. Lane departure is probably the only thing I don't use and have turned off only because I hate the noise when it goes off, but this is in a package with a lot of other things I do use.

What is your budget? I'd suggest you getting a new 2016.5 GT AWD with Technology Package. The main thing from Tech Package is the LED lightings with AFS which greatly improves the vision of night-time driving. The LED DRLs looks cool too. But if you prefer a used, still try to find a GT or Touring AWD with Tech, which comes with HID headlights and AFS if it's not a 2016 MY.

Sounds like you are looking at AWD high mileage used ones...

Skip the 2013 ones with the small engines and head straight for the 2014-2015.

The 2016 and up are definitely a notch and a half better, but how much $ do you want to spend...

Blind spot monitors are great to have and will save you, so make sure you are looking at TOURING and GRAND Touring lines.

I like the AWD and 17 inch wheels, moonroof and manual HVAC controls, so for me the AWD TOURING w/ the Bose and Moonroof package is my perfect happy zone.

Thanks for the responses. Budget is fine with whatever. However that said more I spend on the car the less I can spend on other stuff(vaca. Truck mods) so right now I'm looking used with higher miles. She doesn't drive that much so it will come around in a few years.

Any issues at higher miles. I'm starting from scratch with Mazda never owned one nor has anyone I know. No relic expensive parts (timing belt comes to mind) that I should know about with higher miles.
Excuse my ignorance. If roles are ever reversed and you find yourself on tacomaworld ask away there is not much I don't know/ haven't experienced.

With kids, and a second one on the way, i'd look at something bigger than a CX-5. With a car seat in the back, I can't even roll the front seats more than half way back. With two, and all the other things that come with lugging kids around, you are going to find the CX-5 is a bit cramped. We just have one right now, but my wife and I are confident if we do have a second one, the CX-5 will be traded in (we also have a 100lb labrador retriever).

No timing belt. You may need more frequent gear lubricant change on front transfer case and rear differential as an AWD. ATF change is preferred too.

If you went with winter tire changes you could stop as well as go and FWD would save what it cost for extra set of tires. There is a thread on High Mileage CX-5s check in...

I got the 2016.5 sport model and regret not getting the Touring. For what I'd want if doing it again for sure the more adjustable front seat, the climate control, 40/20/40 rear seat and the blind spot monitor. I'd seriously want all of those. Used I'd try for a 16 but if not 14 at least with the 2.5

2016 GT w/o the tech features and the only thing I wish it had were the upgraded / brighter headlights. That said, I could always go w/aftermarket if truly motivated to make a change.

No complaints about the performance or features of the car. Stereo is OK by my standards, backseat space is good as I don't have kids in car seats, and no issues w/cargo room. I don't find the seats particularly comfortable, but everyone is different and the vast majority of people seem to be able to find a suitable driving position. It is a solid machine - I was rear-ended two weeks ago and sustained minimal damage. I feel safe in the car, which I suppose is the thing that matters most.

I don't have any opinions about earlier models, but unless you need all all of the technology, a Touring or base GT may very well do the trick for your family. Good luck!

Thanks for the responses. Budget is fine with whatever. However that said more I spend on the car the less I can spend on other stuff(vaca. Truck mods) so right now I'm looking used with higher miles. She doesn't drive that much so it will come around in a few years.

Any issues at higher miles. I'm starting from scratch with Mazda never owned one nor has anyone I know. No relic expensive parts (timing belt comes to mind) that I should know about with higher miles.
Excuse my ignorance. If roles are ever reversed and you find yourself on tacomaworld ask away there is not much I don't know/ haven't experienced.

Not any issues that I know of. That is why I went CX-5. Timing CHAIN. No expensive ELSD's to maintain. The Sky-Active engines/transmissions really do seem super low maintenance from all I have read. That said, I don't think any CX-5's have high miles on them to really judge by, so it's kindof extrapolation.

My main concern for high mileage SkyActiv engines are gunked up intake valves. No one has reported any major engine problems yet so hopefully its not a big issue. Mazda says they keep the valves at a certain temp so that it burns away any deposits. I would like to take a look at them as it nears the end of the powertrain warranty.

My main concern for high mileage SkyActiv engines are gunked up intake valves. No one has reported any major engine problems yet so hopefully its not a big issue. Mazda says they keep the valves at a certain temp so that it burns away any deposits. I would like to take a look at them as it nears the end of the powertrain warranty.

I have not heard of any issues thus far on that front from ANYONE.

For the needs you spelled out I would look for a 2014 or later. The 16 has a better infotainment but for a second car with kids in the back I doubt it is an issue. I love the backup camera. The split fold down seats are great. I use all the other nice stuff but the main thing is that it handles well and therefor is safe. (There are two ways to come out of a crash unhurt, survive it or drive around and away from it. Blind spot monitors are nice. For the car with the wife and kid in it I would definitely get a extra set of 17 in wheels. You can use many Mazda wheels from a older Mazdas) and put good snow tires on it.

What's wrong with it?
Not sure? I myself, like the newer NAV much better so far.

If you need to use google, or waze, you can also just turn on Bluetooth Audio, and hear the instructions from your phone over your cars speakers.

What's wrong with it?

No live traffic. But I can assure you, that does not make it the worst nav. It is still much better overall than the older cx5s. But it still definitely needs work. The main thing is the whole new infotainment system is worlds better than pre 16 models.

I am curious for those that have navigation, isn't it easier to just use a smartphone or a garmin (or any other GPS device)?

I am curious for those that have navigation, isn't it easier to just use a smartphone or a garmin (or any other GPS device)?

It is. And that's all I use now. The built in nav is just nice for informing me of speed limits, and upcoming roads. But if I need to get somewhere, Google maps it is.

Back