2009 Mazda5 Suspension Replacement

brockmanah

:
Mazda5
I received advice from various forums on upgrading my Mazda5 stock suspension so post project I have been meaning to return the favor and publish our experience. The stock suspension was garbage and a dangerously bouncy ride. We replaced it last year with Koni with good success. We also replaced the rear cambers. I guess we did not replace the springs - maybe we should have. I'd like to get a response from anyone who knows if springs make a huge impact. But post project with the rear cambers and koni shocks the ride is safe and radically improved. We can ride over bumps now without bouncing all over the place. Love the small size of the Mazda5 overall and greatful it exists... little bit dissapointed with the stock suspension but overall this was not a huge price to pay.

Here is what we got:

1x Mazda 5 Wagon 2005-2009 KONI FSD Shock Kit for $576.00 each

Subtotal : $576.00 USD
Shipping : $0.00 USD
Total : $576.00 USD

Product Model Quantity Price Total
Adjustable REAR CAMBER KIT FORD FOCUS MAZDA 3 MAZDA 5 Silver CK MZ M3 S 1 $95.99 $95.99
Sub-Total: $95.99
Free FedEx Ground Shipping: $0.00
Total: $95.99

How many miles on your stock stuff? How many miles now? Was your car eating rear tires? Welcome to the forum btw...

I got the MS3 struts and springs and rear sway bar ... What a difference.

Is the uneven tire ware a common problem ? What is the solution ?

I got the MS3 struts and springs and rear sway bar ... What a difference.

Is the uneven tire ware a common problem ? What is the solution ?

The OEM struts on the Gen 1 MS3 are garbage. Mine were gone at 30k.

Assuming the rest of the suspension is in good order, the solution for uneven tire wear is an alignment. On stock springs (OEM height), you should have enough adjustment to get everything within spec. If you've swapped in shorter MS3 springs, you may find that you need adjustable camber arms in the rear and camber plates in the front.

Magicka, also the rear shocks that i got from the MS3 2011 were norrower than the M5 and i used some nuts as spacers, is there a better fix for that ?

I also kept the M5 rear sway bar links because the mechanic said it will be fine if I do not hear it clunking. Should I get the MS3 ones ( they are larger in diameter judging by the difference in the holes in the swaybar.

Last edited:
OEM end links are item 5 here: http://onlinemazdaparts.com/parts/2...iteid=214264&vehicleid=314479&diagram=5418615

Whiteline adjustable from Edge: http://www.edgeautosport.com/manufa...r-adjustable-endlinks-mazdaspeed-3-2007-2013/

MOOG Problem Solver end links for MS3, part # K750069: https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

MOOG Problem Solver end links for MZ5, part # K80867: https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

You can search by vehicle at moogproblemsolver.com. Ideally, your RSB arms will be roughly parallel to the ground with weight on the suspension.

Yes, you'll be fine with the spacers installed in the rear.

ordered the MS3 sway bar links … where is a good place to get those adjustable SPC rear control arms ?

I just picked up an MS3 RSB. Should I get new end links and bushings too? My car only has 8K miles on it.

I just picked up an MS3 RSB. Should I get new end links and bushings too? My car only has 8K miles on it.

If the MS3 bar you bought is not coming with either end links or bushings/brackets, you will definitely need to buy a set of each. The original MZ5 ones will not fit on the MS3 bar.

To be clear, the RSB came from a Gen1 MS3 and I have a Gen2 5. I believe the first gen MS3 RSB should be fine, its only the Gen2 MS3 RSB that needs new endlinks?

the M5 end links will work because the M5 ones are smaller diameter … they bolt up and you can tighten them for a good hold, but i think it would be better to get a proper sized link.

To be clear, the RSB came from a Gen1 MS3 and I have a Gen2 5. I believe the first gen MS3 RSB should be fine, its only the Gen2 MS3 RSB that needs new endlinks?

Tuanies, do the MZ5 links bolt up to the MS3 RSB? Yes! Is it the proper way to install it? No! The MZ5 end links have a 10mm stud that bolts up to the control arm and a 10mm stud that bolts up to the OEM MZ5 RSB. The MS3 end links have a 10mm stud that is the same as the MZ5 end link that bolts up to the control arm. However, the other end that bolts up to the RSB is a 12mm stud to fit perfectly to the RSB. It's up to you whether you want to do it right or do it half ass like kaos did. For the record mine is also a 2nd gen MZ5 and I'm running a 1st gen MS3 RSB with OEM MS3 end links and Prothane 26mm bushings and brackets.

I ordered the Moog links ... I am pretty sure I will be fine until they arrive. I grabbed the bar and the links and gave it a good shake and it was tight as tight can be.

Back