ZPS Build Thread

Went to a big autocross this weekend. It was at CMP (Carolina Motorsports Park). Even though I did not bring the 2, it was a good time in the Miata. This was the largest course I have driven it on and it took some getting used to but not bad over all. Of course I could have used more grip.

I did go with Amsoil. It feels the same to me. I mainly did it because 1. it needed to be changes, and 2. Now that I am doing track days I wanted something which can take the heat better.

Hey guys, It has been a while mainly because I have been super busy. I got married yesterday which is great. That is where a lot of my time has been going in the past month or two. Now that it is done, the fun things can begin. I have 2 new sets of wheels coming. New springs to stiffen it up for the next track day. New shocks will be happening after the track day. Well actually just in the front.

Also in case you have not seen this. I built an axle back as well. Sounds awesome. We are also looking at sourcing getting one of these made for everyone.

Last edited:
Which spring rates you going for? Is the front of the bilstein progressive like the rear? Or will you go with linear? I am making the decision to go with coil overs soon and was going to ask your opinion on set up rates. I was going to run 6k fronts and 4k rears with the fronts being swift springs and have the dampers vavled to suit. Then adjust to have driveshaft angles straight. And try get some more camber and castor with a top that jaystats is using. Run zero toe in the front. Sorry typed on my phone for grammatical mistakes. Is there something else I should be doing?

I am going to be putting in 450s in the front and 400s in the rear both linear. I think the bilstein fronts are progressive, but not as much as the stock bilstein rear. Hopefully soon I will be getting my pyrometer so I can make accurate alignment changes without just guessing.

Awesome. Guessing is all the fun and rage these days. I love my eibach springs but the progressive rates is not great for track use, But is great for street.
What brand springs you going with?

Congrats on the wedding! You didn't tell me you guys were married.

Guys I heard this axle back in person yesterday, its pretty much perfect from a daily driving standpoint. Nice tone, quiet at low revs but you can easily hear what the car is doing on track, especially with the DDM intake.

Yea the track day went great yesterday. I will hopefully have some videos and pictures later tonight.

Somehow I missed Woot's question. I just got basic Eibach race springs. 6" 400lbs for the rear and 7" 450lbs for the front. The fronts are a little long. I have the adjusters at the lowest setting to be at the same ride height. The car handled great at the track though as eyeballs can attest to. Very happy with those rates.

I got a ride along for one session, and from the passenger seat the car felt very neutral as grip started to give out. No drama whatsoever. Minimal body roll, and this setup eats rough curbing for breakfast. I couldn't believe how comfy it was. It was a very nice (but fast!) luxorious break from my miata (700/400 spring rates, race seats, harnesses, etc). BTW it seemed like every 5 min someone would come over to Zach and ask about the mods because he was hauling serious ass out there.

Zach - you need to get this out to road atlanta, you'd have a huge advantage since the curbing there can get pretty bad. Last time I kept finding my way onto curbing so rough it would cause me to mis-shift.

Grats on getting hitched!

BTW it seemed like every 5 min someone would come over to Zach and ask about the mods because he was hauling serious ass out there.

^That's so freaking cool. It's great to hear that the 450/400 is a solid and more comfortable combo too. If I go coilovers next Spring those will be on my radar.

ok so I finally have everything uploaded to post. It was a great time. The spring rates did work out really well. The car was very balanced, and as eyeballs said it just ate up the curbing like it was nothing. I checked my times and I had one lap which was a 1:42.9. In a later session I had 3 consecutive laps which were 1:43.0. I have a video here of them all. You can see how the car just goes right over the curbing with no fuss. The funny thing is as you can see going onto the front straight there is a sweeping left and then a right. Well once I got to 90mph there was no power left between the aero drag and the drag from turning so the car stayed at 90 for a couple of seconds until I straightened out the wheel. You can hear it to. Needs POWER!!!!

Here is a nice shot my wife got from the outside. All of the tire squeel was from me.

Yea people were constantly asking me what was done to the car because of how quick it was. Here is a picture of my car and a guy's C63AMG who I kept playing with on track. Really cool guy and we ran the same times so it was fun to run along with him.

1656348_10101664708871998_7585188720860106229_n.jp  g

Oh and Nom Nom curbing.
10533445_10101664708422898_7065924713524414796_n.j  pg

More Nom
10352903_10101664708527688_6738972806357707259_n.j  pg

I am going to do a highlight reel as well. One of my favorites was a white 991 Carrera S going by me. Sounded so good.

Eyeballs, I am definitely going to be running the 2 more next year. I just need to do some work on the Miata and pick up that new car I mentioned to you. I should be picking it up this weekend(dance)

Unless James gives into my pleas, it looks like I won't be able to attend the March event next year. He booked it on the day I have a conference that I must attend, to make up for the conference I skipped to go to last sunday's track day. The irony!

Rear is koni yellows. Front is still the Bilsteins for now. Koni yellows will be going in the front this winter though. I just need to check a few things to know if I am going to use the koni yellows for the car or continue building my own.

Once the fronts are in I will be selling my Bilsteins. Great for a DD/autocross car. Just mine is turning into a bit more than a DD at this point if you couldn't tell.

Rear is koni yellows. Front is still the Bilsteins for now. Koni yellows will be going in the front this winter though. I just need to check a few things to know if I am going to use the koni yellows for the car or continue building my own.

Once the fronts are in I will be selling my Bilsteins. Great for a DD/autocross car. Just mine is turning into a bit more than a DD at this point if you couldn't tell.

Same here. (our) front spring rates have outgrown the front shocks. Decisions decisions...

Back