Drove A mile with my parking break on.

Targaryen420

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
So, I was called into work on my day off, i jumped into my car, and started going! Little did i know, by the time i pulled into the parking lot, i reached for the hand break, and to my surprise, it was already up! FUUUUU. I did notice how slow i was going when i tried to get out of second gear. I only drove it 1.7 miles, never over 45 miles per hour. What kind of damage can i expect from this?

Thank you.

If you could smell it or it got hot then you might have done some damage like a warped rotor or worn out pads

agreed with above about pads and rotors have you driven it since? if so did the brakes make the car shake or pull or make any noise when applied? if not you may have just worn the pads down some and maybe requiring them to be replaced earlier than normal

Think about how many miles you drive with your brakes on. Go for a 20 mile drive in a rural or suburban area, and you'll have had your foot on the brake for more than 1.7 miles. I assure you that your brakes are more than up to the task of being dragged for 1.7 miles. They are tested to much more severe conditions.

Also, rotors don't warp, they generate thickness variation which is caused by off brake drag.

Okay this is good to know. Thank you. And today, when i was breaking, my wheel started to turn by its self. What is this of?

OP did you mean to say, "when I am braking the car pulls to one side (I have to turn the steering wheel to stay straight)"?

If so - you need to inspect for dragging brake and that one set of the brake pads (rear) are not glazed.

I would also do a brake fluid flush if the rear calipers indicate high heat was generated. The fluid may be been boiled.

OP did you mean to say, "when I am braking the car pulls to one side (I have to turn the steering wheel to stay straight)"?

If so - you need to inspect for dragging brake and that one set of the brake pads (rear) are not glazed.

I would also do a brake fluid flush if the rear calipers indicate high heat was generated. The fluid may be been boiled.
perfect idea he hit it on the head

Try using the brakes with your hands off the steering wheel. (carefully of course)

If it pulls to one side under braking, then you probably have a partially seized caliper.

Back