radiator reservoir boiling

ifaiZing

:
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege
anyone have clues for a situation that a coolant reservoir is boiling but the temp gauge is at normal temp? My engine bay will be really hot, but there are no signs of smoke. All the pipes will be hot/warm but everything reads normal.

It is a leak somewhere in the cooling system, quite possibly the radiator itself. My car did this and I finally found a pinhole in my new aluminum rad.

Check your radiator cap also. The bottom part breaks off and it will cause the reservoir to overflow.

Bump...did you ever find the cause mine is doing the exact same thing

I have not found the cause just yet. I've been so busy with work. I was pushing my car and testing how good it really ran with all the mods and after I came home that night, I heard all these boiling sounds and sure enough my coolant reservoir was boiling. I will have to check the entire radiator including the cap itself to see if thats the issue. the car runs fine and everything reads normal, but I can still feel the heat from the engine bay when standing beside my car.

When my thermostat went, they engine started overheating and the overflow container was boiling over. Pretty common point of failure for these cars. It could be a partial failure too, thus the car not overheating.

Check the cap, if it broke, it wont hold the pressure and it will lower the boiling point of the coolant causing it to of course boil, yet your temperature gauge will be in the middle.

Back