Oil Change

The barrier is will. Nothing more. As I said, instead of wasting millions on hybrids, E85, electric, bio diesel, TDI, etc, that money could have made H2 affordable.

It's also very reliable due to it's simplicity. The only moving parts are the electric motor (1 part moves), the drive line, and suspension.

As for on board storage, a perfect and safe storage medium exists, but all the manufacturers rejected it becasue they use the fear of explosion to suppress demand for hydrogen cars.

Infrastructure would be easy to implement, too. Existing stations can either make it on site and store it in a tank, like propane, or have their H2 tank filled as normal from a truck. just add, or replace some of the pumps with H2 pumps. About the cost of one oil platform. There are actually thousands of H2 stations all over the world. A lot of them even make their hydrogen on site, eliminating having to transport it.

No one wants to do it becasue it makes too much sense.

I am not a tree hugger nor do I subscribe to owning a car that does not excite me or get crazy good gas mileage. However, Electric cars could be the answer. Safe, easy to build but we need lots and lots of Nuke plants. We drop the need to oil as well as NG.

If not, take over Saudi Arabia and Kuwait. Have a Nice day!

>>> It's also very reliable due to it's simplicity.

That's a big assumption of reliability w/o any past and current mass produced fuel cell vehicle to benchmark against.

>>> but all the manufacturers rejected it becasue they use the fear of explosion to suppress demand for hydrogen cars.

My bad. Didn't know you were on a first name basis with Alan Mulally and Rick Wagnoner (before he was booted out). However, IMHO, fuel cell is an unknown. I know an engineer who has been working on Ford fuel cell project since late 1990s. I'm sure it started much earlier than that. Though I can't tell you the exact reason (economics, technology, market factor, finance etc. just to throw out a few), I can almost certainly tell you it is not because they fear hydrogen cars demand will be too high.

>>> Infrastructure would be easy to implement, too. Existing stations can either make it on site and store it in a tank

Retrofitting existing infrastructure is an option. But it is a chicken and egg question. W/o cars on the road, no one will spend the money on the infrastructure. W/o infrastructures, the manuf sees little incentive to move forward. Otherwise E-85 would have taken off like wildfire.

Fuel cell has even less chance of becoming mainstream than diesel. Diesel though very clean now, tons of torque, no longer noisy etc. still can't shake the perception of consumers of "bad diesel". Fuel cell ain't gonna happen anytime soon.

Hybrid Electric vehicles, the likes of Chevy Volt will be mainstream. The Prius type technology and the low tech Honda electric hybrid (current) will be relegated to cheap compact cars.

Fuel cell is the only right answer, since everything else pollutes except stored electric, which is inefficient. A fuel cell CX9 would absolutely smoke a gas version, too.

Humans never do the right thing until it's too late. We treat disease instead of cure it, we build wheelchairs instead of prevent kids from being born with disabilities, and we burn filthy crap to make electricity instead of capture solar radiation in space and beam it cleanly to the ground with microwaves. (Technology that could have been implemented 40 years ago, BTW).

Sad, but true.

We're way off topic though.

Last edited:
To all the smart asses hating on the dude who wants to diy his oil change. This is 20 min service that is very clean when fumoto valve is used. I for one like to know what oil I have in there and I want to know for a fact that filter was installed right. I just bought cx9, big stealership was raving about their top of the line million point inspection. They changed the oil...all good until I noticed oil spots on the driveway. Oil leaking from the filter. I did 500 miles on leaking oil filter so there goes your 20 dollar convenience. If anyone is changing oil or doing anything really at jeafy lune....u really must hate your car or u r totally ignorant. It's just another car before lunch brake for underpaid dude with a wrench. They don't give single f $$k about the quality of the service. If I didn't notice that leak...I would be in for a new engine in couple thousand miles. Same goes for brake jobs....too much at stake for a too easy of an service to trust a hack at the shop.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I am not a tree hugger nor do I subscribe to owning a car that does not excite me or get crazy good gas mileage.

Old thread but this was the funniest post I've read in a while. You're basically driving a mini-van on tiny stilts with your CX-9. If that "excites" you your automotive bar is set pretty low. I like my wife's CX-9, and part of the reason we bought it is it's more fun than most 7 passenger SUV's, but it's hardly what I would call an exciting driving experience. My VW CC barely qualifies as a sports sedan and it's easily 5x more exciting to drive than the CX-9. The 05 GTO I traded in for the CC was 10x more exciting than the CC so you do the math on where that puts the CX-9.

Oh, and here's a great example of the kind of service you can expect from quick lube places...

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...to-take-your-S4-to-an-instant-oil-change-shop

^ This is why you don't trust some barely more than minimum wage wrench monkey to EVER touch your car. If you don't want to change your own oil fine, at least go to the dealer, where I hate to tell you chances are the absolute lowest guy on the dealership's scale of skilled mechanics is going to be doing your oil change. Better yet, fine a small independent shop you trust where there are probably one or two mechanics who do all jobs.

Last edited:
Just thought I would add my 2 cents here. Unfortunately, you can not trust quick oil or dealers to do anything correctly. I will change my own oil on my new 2015 CX9 because I dont trust anyone....I used to race Porches and did all the work myself. My tow vehicle was a chevy suburban. The suburban had an issue with the alternator light going on and off. I climb on the side of the drivers side and rocked the truck back and forth...the light blinked, telling me this was a wire grounding out somewhere. Since I had work to do on the racecar I dropped it off at the Chevy dealer because I figured they must have seen this 1,000 times since they made millions of 350 Suburbans. After a few hours the service manager asks me to come in. I see the truck in the lot with the hood not fully closed. I open it up and yep, right below the master cylinder is the main wiring harness taped up with electrical tape. I figure quick fix, will be cheap, so glad I took it here. I say nothing about this when I get in front of the service manager who proceeds to tell me that they need to look at every wire in the truck and that the total bill will be north of $2,500. I'm so pissed I need to walk away. I come back an hour later and calmly tell the guy, I know the truck is fixed and that I'm a second away from calling the cops, and that if I were a single women I'd probably have paid you, yada, yada, yada, curse, curse, curse, scum bag, .....I then offer him to give him $100 for the repair but only after he charges my A/C unit. Which he sheepishly agrees to........

^ Bad enough when you have to deal with tech incompetence or laziness, even worse when they're committing blatant fraud.

Back