blown LSD or clutch?

chomper149

:
#1417 Titanium MSP
Hey guys so I either blew the LSD or killed the clutch today. Going down the highway and came to a stop sign. Went into gear and heard chatter whenever I gave gas. Was able to drive it for another 250-300 feet going back into gear one other time from a stop to turn into a side street. At that point the car just started freely revving. Only chattered or seemed broken when giving gas but coasting never made it seem broken and didn't seem like the rpms dropped while coasting.
But now regardless of gear I select it just revs. What do you guys think broken LSD or killed clutch or something else?

Thanks guys!

thanks guys, lsd was what i thought also but wasnt sure as i have never blown a clutch before or killed a manual tranny. I guess heres my excuse to go mfactory. Any recomendations on type of clutch? i want one that will take abuse from autox and last a while but not trying to make huge numbers or anything. and anyone else have a longer 5th gear? how do you like it?
thanks guys

The 626 5th gear is a little longer but not much, I would just get a replacement MSP clutch it will hold up just fine. You will probably do alright with a new OEM diff since it has been revised multiple times since they were first installed in our cars but the MFactory is better for only a few hundred more.

I'm just going to upgrade the lsd to mitigate any future problems. And isn't the Msp clutch just a stock protege clutch? I like the feel of race clutches so I'm kind of leaning that way. Anything else I should do while it's open?

No the MSP clutch has a much higher torque rating and clamping force than the regular pro, you won't need any more than a stock clutch unless you have a built motor making well over 250whp.

I second getting a welded version (that's what I did for peace of mind).

Here are the part numbers for reference:

Parts & Supplies Needed:
------------------------

Part 1: 1x Mazdaspeed Protege LSD OEM Rev3 Welded Differential & Ring Gear
OLD PART NUMBER - GS01-27-190A
NEW PART NUMBER - GSY1-27-190 (MSP Revision #3 2006)

Part 2: 1x Primary Shaft Lock Nut
F520-17-628

Part 3: 1x Secondary Shaft Lock Nut
F521-17-628A

Part 4: 2x Carrier Bearings
G5R0-27-350B

Part 5: 2x Oil seal
F003-27-238A

Part 6: 2x Front Axle Nut (spindle nut) 32mm
GJ21-33-042B

Part 7: Permatex Ultra Grey Rigid High-Torque RTV Silicone Gasket Maker
http://www.permatex.com/products/product-selector?view=productcategory&id=5

Subbing for part numbers. Btw, does anyone have an install on how to change the oil seal and carrier bearings?

Back