ZPS Build Thread

The car feels great without the front sway bar so I am going to keep it off. The bump in spring rate seems to be going well. The car is really neutral with slight understeer, but nothing you can't lift of the throttle and get the car to rotate. I mainly have it setup that way because on track I we don't have the power to really power out of oversteer. Combining that with 70+ mph cornering speeds I am much happier being set up that way. I am going to continue to tweak though. Next event at AMP I am thinking on changing front bumps stops to see which one I like more.

OK so a lot has been going on with the 2 over the last 3 days. Firstly I removed the rear bilstein height adjusters and cut down the other 2 ebay ones I have so I could put those in. I did this because I am going to be selling the bilsteins. I already have a buyer.

I also made a lot of progress on the brake cooling ducts. Finished the parts for the other side and painted them. I also ordered some of the hardware I needed to get it all together which will be here on Monday. I am hoping to have it all done this week. Oh and the part in the picture above which mounts to the lower control arm. Yup painted that lime green as well. I also trimmed the one corner of the dust shield which will now allow air to get to the caliper and the inside of the rotor.

Lastly I got the old header out. Took longer than I expected, but it was just because things are packaged tighter on these newer cars. I put comments on it in the header thread. I am hoping to get the new one in this week.

Overall lots to do before the next track day on Aug 29th, but I am really looking forward to it. Fun track and hopefully with more power now.

11870851_10102153782075378_5516111329808134462_n.jpg

Here is things all disassembled while working on the 2. You have to remove all of the lower windshield stuff to get to some of the bolts.

11816337_10102153782714098_1649379680484776402_o.jpg

I was waiting for your install tips and it was much more detailed than I thought it would be. Also looks like a big job which I was waiting to see how people did it.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Sweet. So now that you have a new daily...will you be doing some weight loss? I bet you could pull close to 100lbs out. That could keep you busy between CMP and AMP. Must get into the 1:30's!

Yea not exactly sure what is going to be going on with the car. I am going to be keeping it. I would love to strip it out, but it isn't going to really take out that much weight. Probably 100lbs as you said which really isn't that much especially since I would add at least a rear cage to it so in the end it probably wouldn't be much lighter. For now I am just going to enjoy it on track as it is and get the RX7 done.

Oh and also I got a check engine light after only 11 miles so yea the extender and 90 degree didn't trick it.

Maybe try mounting it upstream in the bung before the collector? I'd think exhaust pulses would be slower there.

I could try it to see. I might have time to try to do it this weekend. I think I can get to everything to do it. Either way it seems that the car will throw a pending code on the first time and won't throw an actual code until the next drive cycle, so if anything for the trackday I will just reset the lights before each session. That is unless I have time to update the tune.

Also eyeballs the AMP event in September I am going to bring the IS300.

To update from my side. I am getting a CEL, but I have something else I am going to try to see if I can get rid of it without having to change the tune. Right now I think the o2 sensor might be too far removed from the exhaust so I am going to remove the extender and only use the 90. It will probably be after the trackday that I have a chance to try it though. So early September.

This weekend the cooling ducts will get a final install. Pictures will follow.

Very nice! Looks like it isn't too complicated to rig something up (or is it just a matter of the pros always making it look easy?)

Well when making it yourself it is a lot harder since you have to figure it all out and build it. The hard part was because it is FWD the axle is in the way, and also most FWD cars have the caliper behind the axle. On ours it isn't so when you turn the caliper mounting bolts and the sliders for the caliper really start to get in the way. So I got mine to where I can go full lock to lock easily with my 15X7 wheels, but I am pretty sure my 15X8 wheels will clear as well with full lock to lock. I also had to drill a second hole in the lower control arm to mount them, but that wasn't a big deal because I finally figured out a way to get the lower arms out decently easy.

I also checked the pressure differential from the inlet to the outlet and it looks good so they will definitely flow well.

Congrats, looks great! Hopefully that'll keep the brakes cool enough. One less thing to worry about.

So the trackday was a blast. The weather was really nice for Kershaw this time of year. The car handled really well. Even I was impressed. The track was a lot of fun. My fastest was a 1:59.7 which is pretty good for our power level. The only issue I had was some clutch slippage later in the day during shifts. I am thinking that the oil pan is leaking oil and it is getting onto the clutch. I am going to redo the seal before Road Atlanta. As an example of how the car was doing there are two right hand sweepers. One in 3rd and one in second. While looking at my solo data I noticed my turn in was 1.2G, but sustained I was only 1G. This morning I remembered though that was 1G while floored in 2nd or 3rd which is really good. Also the car was not understeering or getting wheelspin at that point. It just stuck. I was really happy. Unfortunately my gopro batteries are about 6 years old now and they died really fast so no real video. Since I was driving I don't have many pictured either, but here is a nice one.

11954827_860272974062401_8779510470936811926_n.jpg

I also have white walls now on one side. I went 2 wheels off at about 70.
11924761_10102183963591378_1669850486514102556_n.jpg

Sweet. I went off also on my last track day. Lift off oversteer in cold conditions over a hill and did not have the skill to catch it :(

That's a bummer about the oil pan. Didn't you have to pull that off once before? I'm disappointed I missed out on CMP, and James doesn't sound too optimistic about an event there next year.

Woot Woot, Yea at AMP there is a section at the end of the lap where it is a tight turn over a crest and I learned that the first lap or two I have to take it easy otherwise it gets very sideways there.

Eyeballs From talking with people at the shop it seems that the pan issue was because I used red RTV to seal it not grey. The grey is better for oil and it has better adhesion. I am going to be replacing it this weekend. I am pretty sure just oil was leaking out the pan on the clutch side and some was getting in the clutch. Oh well. I know better now. I also think I know that my braking instability issue is when braking 80% or more. One of my caster bushings on the front was ripped and I am thinking that it was effecting the alignment enough to make the car not drive straight under hard braking. They have a 3 year warranty, I just need to figure out when I got them.

Yea CMP is a long way from Atlanta and the turnout was definitely smaller. It was a good time and I really like the track. I can understand if he doesn't go there again. I definitely will since it is close for me. You would have liked it, similar to AMP in that there isn't really a long straight. much more handling.

Back