Intake manifold recall questions

vltndennis

:
03 Mazda Protege5
The other day while driving home from work my 03 p5 threw a cell and it started driving like crap. i replaced the spark plugs and it was fine again but the gap in the spark plug of cyl #4 was closed down to zero.From what i understand there was a recall for this but i saw a couple of other options online too like the 626 mani or modifying the stock mani. What would be the best option so that this issue wont happen again? Im pretty sure i cant do anything through the dealer since the car has about 120k miles on it.

Search for "VICS screws". There was recall on a narrow range of cars because they used the wrong sort of loctite (or none, I don't recall) at the factory on these screws in the intake manifold. When the screws fall out they are sucked into the motor and can can cause a lot of damage. It remains to be seen if cars outside of the recall range will have problems with these screws as the cars age.

Search for "VICS screws". There was recall on a narrow range of cars because they used the wrong sort of loctite (or none, I don't recall) at the factory on these screws in the intake manifold. When the screws fall out they are sucked into the motor and can can cause a lot of damage. It remains to be seen if cars outside of the recall range will have problems with these screws as the cars age.

Yeah , I know that. I compared the VIN to the ones listed for the recall and im not within the range but i still had the problem. Now i read somewhere that the MSP does not suffer from this. Dont they have the same IM as p5's ?

My P5 did'nt fall under the recall dates.

Attachments

• rebuild3.jpg
    rebuild3.jpg
    843.3 KB · Views: 163
  • rebuild2.jpg
    rebuild2.jpg
    483.7 KB · Views: 177
  • rebuild1.jpg
    rebuild1.jpg
    591.5 KB · Views: 176
Just take the intake.manifold out abd delete the vtcs. Don't connect the vac hoses but do connect the harness. No cells, car runs better.

MSP shares the exact same intake manifold.
Actually the MSP manifold is not the exact same. It is very similar and it does have the same VICS and VTCS flaps, however the MSP has slightly more robust screws and flaps for their intake manifolds. No MSPs were covered under the recall. It is easy to remove the intake, replace the missing screw and secure them all with loc-tite. You can get the 626 manifold without the flaps but you will lose a good amount of power down low and you need all the power you can get in a P5.

Back