Attention "Sportmatic" Owners: How Often Do You Use The Sportmatic vs. Regular Auto

Sportmatic:Regular Ration

• Sportmatic 100%

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Sportmatic 90%

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Sportmatic 80%

• Sportmatic 70%

• Sportmatic 60%

• Sportmatic 50%

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Less Than 50%

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Never, I am too lazy shift. :)

• Total voters

BlackMP5

Attention "Sportmatic" Owners: How Often Do You Use The Sportmatic vs. Regular Auto

Just wondering what ratio you use...

Also, is it alright to use it almost all the time? If not, then why in the hell did they put in the damn car!?!?

I'll start: I use mine about 90% of the time...

Last edited:
I think I use mine 50% of the time. Basically only use it when I know I'll need it, like if I have to pass someone and when I need to merge into traffic on the freeway. It's nice to know when you trailing a tractor trailer, or any slow moving object infront of me while merging into traffic I can just punch it and get myself into it. I'll stay on 2nd gear and floor it.

I almost never use it, played arround with it when I first got my car but that's about it.

although I prefer driving a stick but when i drive an automatic car, I drive it like an automatic. no point in switching gears manually. yes, there are a few occasions you might need to lock on one gear, when you're racing or going 45degrees uphill .

oh BTW, just my opnion, wayyyyyy too many poll options:
should simplify that down to: 1-never, 2-under half, 3-over half, 4-all the time. I don't think people remember what percentage they use their sport shifts.

let's see. my lovely wife drives the car less than 5% of the time and she runs strictly auto; so how do I do the math on that? I would guessimate 70-80% of the time I use the auto feature depending on my mood and how anxious I am to get home. I too bought the Sportshift Auto and to be honest if it makes her happier then I am happier. This is a good question though.

My wife never uses it, but I always do which = about 2% of the time. I never realy drive it. I know that Mazda does not make the best auto trans., so I don't push my luck with it.

:cool:

I don't think it's intended to be used all the time. Options like this are just now starting to trickle down from more expensive luxury and sports cars to econoboxes like the MP5. They were never that reliable in the high price vehicles so I would not expect it to be that reliable in our cars, esp. since it's relatively new. I must say that it is fairly refined and works very well. I only use mine in special driving situations and it is tons of fun. I wouldn't bank on using it more than 50% of the time though, like I said, I don't think it was intended to be an all time replacement to the automatic transmission. Just something to use in certain situations. And like everything else, the more you beat on it the less friendly it will play down the road.

i rarely ever use mine...............i use it to accelerate once in a while...............

my fiancees brother used his 100% of the time and his tranny crapped out at 11,000 miles. everyone who i have ever talked to that has had a sportshift says that it is crap..........acuras, hondas, mercedes, whatever. use it at your own risk..........especially if you have done work that could void your transmission warranty.

11,000 Miles? WTF, the transmission didn't crap out on him, he broke the tranny himself, possibly does not know how to shift.
I use the Manual mode in my AutoMatic 100% of the time. I am at 70,000 miles and works great! I am having it serviced this week actually. It was inspected at 60K said fluids were good.

^^^^Uh...this thread was dead for 12 years before you woke it up. This is likely why the poster's car only had 12000 miles.

Back