rear vent no heat?

:
2012 Mazda5 Touring
When I have front heat on , I am gettin.g cold air for rear if I turn on rear ?

Is that normal ?

The rear A/C vent is just that, cold air only. Heat to the rear comes out from under the front seats. In auto climate mode, the settings should automatically go to foot or foot/defog when in heating mode.

Funny, I just phoned Mazda about this issue yesterday. The lack of heat from the centre unit was disappointing, they basically said the same as DKaz. BTW, the amount of heat that actually comes out from under the front seats is so minimal, that is also disappointing.

The Mazda service response also included; "you know this is not a mini-van" and "heat rises, this is why we put the vents under the seat". Well, the force that the centre unit can push out air directly on the passengers would be a great thing when trying to warm up fast.

Last edited:
Says so in the manual.

You don't get the manual until after you have bought the vehical ;) ...but, after reading the manual after the purchase there were a 3-4 features that I would have paid extra for if I had known about them.

Yep, you have to keep the area clear to get adequate heat back there. But my 07 didn't have the rear A/C vent and it was even more difficult to keep the rear cool than warm.

Let me start by saying that my wife and I bought a new Mazda 5 in 2008 and I just bought another new 2012 Mazda 5 in October to replace my old Corolla. In 2008 there were a short list of items we wish the Mazda 5 had like the rear vents to heat as well as cool and to have LATCH anchors for car seats in the 3rd row. I have to say I was hoping that since 2008 that Mazda would incorporate these items. But it did not and my 2012 doesn't have them either. One thing I do have that our 2008 Mazda 5 doesn't have is a one-touch drivers window that goes up as well as down, but I am also now lacking a coolant temperature gauge and the side marker turn signals. Oh well, I don't look at the items I listed as deal-breakers, just minor inconveniences that are easy enough to tolerate since I didn't have to spend $26K to buy a low-end minivan from a decent manufacturer.

Last edited:
I was going to ask, Los Angeles and need heat? :)

I wanted a 7 seater Mazda 5, didn't get it. :(

Well, obviously the HVAC engineering team was using Emperor penguins to sit in the 2nd row when they designed the rear "A/C" controls... didn't you guys know that?? They seemed pretttttty comfy back there.

No, really, look at it this way. It has dropped down to about 30 degs F here in Central NJ, so far this winter season. I haven't had any complaints of it being "too cold" in the 2nd row, and I noticed that there are plenty of BTU's to go around the cabin if you blast the heat. I can see how it would be much more difficult to maintain "coolness" on a hot summer day, since everywhere you drive the sun is beating on the roof and the glass. I should know, my old Chrysler T&C was an LX, which meant NO REAR A/C OR HEAT AT ALL (back in the day, it was the $22K entry level T&C). I had to hook up a 12V fan in the back to the cig lighter to keep everyone in the back cool. When you have 6 ppl sitting and talking in a car I think it tends to warm itself up really quickly. HOWEVER... it does show a lack of consideration for customers that still may want the same air coming out of the front to come out of the back, even if there is no separate temp control as in the full size minivans, at least you can go LO or HI in airflow.

I don't think it's too much to ask that they fix this the next go 'round. I'm sure the Taiwanese are already on the case, you can probably get an add on heater from eBay that clicks onto the center console and plugs into the cig lighter LoL.

I actually find it comical that no heat comes out the rear vents. I guess they figure the backseat passengers can just put on jackets when its cold.

I actually find it comical that no heat comes out the rear vents. I guess they figure the backseat passengers can just put on jackets when its cold.

I don't get it either. Why run a wimpy vent under the front seats when you could use the existing centre consule vent (directional as well) which can move way more warm air.

So the rear vents only blow cool air? Why have the temp control on the back of the console if it will only let cool air blow from the vents? Thats just crazy!! I have been trying to figure out what was going on, because if you turn the fan blower control up, the vents only blow cold air out at you in the winter time. Works wonders in the summer, but not good at all during the summer.

So the rear vents only blow cool air? Why have the temp control on the back of the console if it will only let cool air blow from the vents? Thats just crazy!! I have been trying to figure out what was going on, because if you turn the fan blower control up, the vents only blow cold air out at you in the winter time. Works wonders in the summer, but not good at all during the summer.

On ours the rear control is only for fan speed, not temp. Is yours the same? As others have said, the heat comes out the floor vents under the front seats. I like it this way, keeps your feet warm. If you get too hot, you can dial up some cool air from the console vents. In floor mode, quite a bit of heat comes out the dash center and outside vents still, so it seems to get enough heat to the 2nd row to not feel drafty. No idea about the 3rd row, haven't spent much time back there.

I have to agree that it is not as nice as the 3-zone climate control as the Odyssey and Town & Country we had in the past, but those were $35-$38k vans. A whole different price class.

I have to agree that it is not as nice as the 3-zone climate control as the Odyssey and Town & Country we had in the past, but those were $35-$38k vans. A whole different price class.

Makes you wonder though, even if you just used recycled plastic to run a simple conduit system to the rear of the vehicle... can that push a $21,000 micro-van into $35,000 mini-van territory?? Obviously those minivans have other niceties but my point is, how much can plastic conduit cost?? Like even if you didn't have 3-zone, and the rear air was the same temp as the front air... seems almost "Elementary, doesn't it Watson??" (detect)

Since I'm off today (New Year's Day) I think I'm going to Walmart, buying one of those teeny tiny ceramic heaters, I'm going to duct tape the sucker to the rear air console and plug it into an inverter, then I'm gonna take a picture of it and title it, "Get 'er Done!" and sending it to Mazda N.A.

Last edited:
On the back of the CX9 console, you have 2 controls, one for fan speed, and one for temp control. That's why I was so puzzled that it only blows cool air and not hot from the vents there. What is the point in the temp control knob there if it doesn't do a damn thing?

Are you saying on the CX-9 the temp knob for the rear seats doesn't really control temp or it just makes things a bit warmer or a bit cooler, not necessarily cranks out full A/C and full heat??

Makes you wonder though, even if you just used recycled plastic to run a simple conduit system to the rear of the vehicle... can that push a $21,000 micro-van into $35,000 mini-van territory?? Obviously those minivans have other niceties but my point is, how much can plastic conduit cost?? Like even if you didn't have 3-zone, and the rear air was the same temp as the front air... seems almost "Elementary, doesn't it Watson??" (detect)

Since I'm off today (New Year's Day) I think I'm going to Walmart, buying one of those teeny tiny ceramic heaters, I'm going to duct tape the sucker to the rear air console and plug it into an inverter, then I'm gonna take a picture of it and title it, "Get 'er Done!" and sending it to Mazda N.A.

As a parts consultant for another leading manufacturer, maybe I can shed some light on this. For heat to go to the middle console and be controllable, it would require a separate heater control module, new mode and temp actuators and doors, a larger more space taking heater and ac box, and aluminum heater lines running hot coolant to the rear, with increased capabilities from the whole engine cooling system to handle extra stress. Plus the 'wire and conduit.' Not so cheap. Remember, not a 30k van.

really, all you have to do is LOOK at the vent (it says "COOL AIR" right on it...)

ag_08mazda5_rearac.jpg

that's not a bad idea. Something along the lines of inserting a small heating element (that won't melt thing) with a manual control. Hmmmmm.

Latest posts

Back