Faint Gasoline Smell After Fuel Filler Recall

Rarebit

Contributor
:
Mazda CX-5 2015 GT AWD
About a month ago I had the fuel filler recall item fixed while my vehicle was in for routine service. Since then I have sometimes smelled a faint gasoline smell inside the vehicle. I can see no leaks. The smell is faint but persistent.

I'm taking it in to have the dealer's service department look at it on Thursday. Has anyone else noticed anything like this?

About a month ago I had the fuel filler recall item fixed while my vehicle was in for routine service. Since then I have sometimes smelled a faint gasoline smell inside the vehicle. I can see no leaks. The smell is faint but persistent.

I'm taking it in to have the dealer's service department look at it on Thursday. Has anyone else noticed anything like this?

I have not noted it. My opinion is that maybe the tech got some gasoline on them, or a part, or something that later entered/sat in your vehicle. I doubt it has zip to do with the filler apparatus itself.

IMO... such a minor repair that it makes me think technician somehow had some fuel on his clothes which is lingering

Took it in yesterday. Service rep carefully questioned me about what I smell, when, and where. Is the car warm or cold? Tank empty or full? Going uphill or downhill, or on a side slope?

Here's the written report:

"Checked for raw fuel smell inside cabin. Road tested vehicle but could not smell fuel fumes. Checked engine bay and fuel lines from tank to engine for any fuel leaks, no leaks found. The only thing I noticed was some grease from the propeller shaft u-joint that drips on the exhaust. Probably that's what the customer is smelling. Cleaned off excess grease from the rear section of the exhaust system as needed. Also checked Mazda online for similar concern, but nothing found."

They gave me a bill for $0.00 which included a car wash.

They asked me to pay close attention over the next few days. I drove ~ 1.25 hours after that - no smell.

The dealer is in a large auto mall between a Honda dealer that provides first class service and an infinity dealer - don't know their record. I've taken cars to 3 dealers in that mall, and all provided very good service. I wonder whether the nearby location of competitors keeps them honest. Very small dataset on which to draw any conclusions.

Dealership said the following:

The recall is actually a very, very minor "gotchya" test from the FMVSS.

" A collision test conducted by NHTSA in which the CX5 was rear-end offset impacted at a speed of 50MPH and THEN the CX5 was purposely rolled over to see if any fuel leaked out. In the roll over test the fuel spillage exceeded the value by 1/10th of a gallon of fuel. So it failed the test.

So the CX5 was hit in the back end at 50MPH and then purposely rolled over onto its roof and it leaked a tiny bit more fuel when upside down than it should. They said the test is actually quite ridiculous because there are SO MANY variables in a crash and even cars that "Pass" this test, they still can have issues based on how they are hit and they have to roll over on their roofs.

The "repair" involves put a few piece of protective tape on the fuel filler neck and spraying a can of aerosol undercoat in that area. That's it!!

The parts are " Protective Tape" and "Aerosol Undercoat". That's all they use.

The "repair" involves put a few piece of protective tape on the fuel filler neck and spraying a can of aerosol undercoat in that area. That's it!!

The parts are " Protective Tape" and "Aerosol Undercoat". That's all they use.

I thought they also removed some kind of bolt that was holding the filler neck rigidly in place and substituted it with the tape because of its flexibility and then covered the area with undercoating for protection. No?

Back