2015 Navigation

mikep317

:
cx5
Hi
I bought a low mile 2015 Cx 5- was supposed to have navigation but does not

Looks like I can buy kit for about $400-500- includes reader and maps card-

If I borrowed a card reader and installed maps and then returned card reader would that work? I mean borrow a card reader from a friends car only to load map card
Thanks

Last edited:
Hi

If I borrowed a card reader and installed maps and then returned card reader would that work? I mean borrow a card reader from a friends car only to load map card
Thanks

I always thought this was just an additional unit you install. Looks like this is the case, see installation instructions:
http://ep.yimg.com/ty/cdn/yhst-24809172479195/mazdacx5nav.pdf#_ga=1.267465998.1897201889.1462042982

One place you can get it http://www.mazdaparts.org/mazda-cx5...AFKYntu-Xci53316JAfjI-Tq85FcWN4x08aAtLL8P8HAQ

However, I never installed this, instead I use my phone with Waze/Google Maps. I feel it is a step down to even use the newer Mazda Connect unit (we have in our Mazda 3), let alone the pre 2016 unit's GPS.

Last edited:
The reader is required hardware as maps are located on SD card in the reader. Maps aren't loaded into the head unit.

I installed one in my 6. You have to plug it in and it is permanent. Some people bash it but I like it just fine.

The OEM unit is not not worth the money, buy a Garmin gps unit for 100-150. Besides the 2015 screen is so small, hard to use it.

Yeah get a Garmin. I have a 16 cx5 and the navigation is absolutely horrible. So unfortunate.

I like it built in to the head unit. Once you learn how to use it, it really does work well. Screen size is bigger than my Garmin.....
I'm in sales and on the road a lot. It always gets me where I need to go no problem.

Last edited:
I like it built in to the head unit. Once you learn how to use it, it really does work well. Screen size is bigger than my Garmin.....
I'm in sales and on the road a lot. It always gets me where I need to go no problem.

I can't stand my 16 navigation because I can't even enter an address while driving. It's horrible. And the voice search is even worse. As well as the POI search. The system is terrible. They need Android auto soo bad.

Well, they don't really want people entering addresses while driving. I don't use many of the POI features, but I've fiddled with it and it seems ok. I just enter my addresses for the day while warming up in the driveway and go. If you are a heavy user then I'm sure there are better systems out there. But it works for me.

I can't stand my 16 navigation because I can't even enter an address while driving. It's horrible. And the voice search is even worse. As well as the POI search. The system is terrible. They need Android auto soo bad.

Enter the address before moving using the keyboard, or enter the address using voice commands.

On the 2016, there are TUTORIALS built into the head unit. Just say "HELP" or "Tutorial" and learn what commands you need to use in order to get the most out of your system.

I have used both the 2013-2015 TomTom navi units, and the 2016-up NavTEQ units... (guitar)

Last edited:
Hi

Thanks

You likely already have a card reader in the lower left side of the dash. The door slides right to open. You MAY be able to clone a friend's map chip and get it to work. Don't know. Don't bother paying for it. The map database has frequent errors, both places that don't exist and wrong locations for the ones that do. It is an awkward system requiring double confirmation of many commands. You can get a sweet, intuitive Garmin for half of the Mazda price, with traffic, and even a easy to use, fully functional Garmin for $100.

Above all, DO NOT pay for a TomTom update. I did and it did not remove restaurants in my area that have not existed for 35 years, if ever. Nor did it add a 10 year old Wal-Mart in a city a hundred miles away.

I've got a 2016 CX-5 & I purchased a Mazda SD nav card online for a couple hundred and it works great. I actually like the nav. To me, it is worth a couple hundred to have a clean all in one approach. I'm glad Mazda did it the way they did so I could add nav on the cheap (relatively).

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

My wife's Honda Accourd V6 only included Nav in a $3000 package full of crap I didn't want. Like brighter headlights and adaptive cruise control. We got it pretty good.

Well, they don't really want people entering addresses while driving. I don't use many of the POI features, but I've fiddled with it and it seems ok. I just enter my addresses for the day while warming up in the driveway and go. If you are a heavy user then I'm sure there are better systems out there. But it works for me.

I get that but their restriction is way more than a lot of vehicles with navigation. Its ridiculous.

Latest posts

Back