AT - 2.5l - AWD - Manual Shift "Clunk"

jonnydwolf

:
2016 Mazda, CX-5 Sport
Hi All,

New to the forum and my 2016 CX-5 Sport AWD Automatic. Really like this vehicle and pretty sure I made a great deciscion on the purchase. I purchased used, it has 44K miles, overall very clean and a joy to drive.

With that said, one "minor" issue has come to my attention, it could be technique, it could just perceived as a problem, or it really is a problem andI am hoping to receive some feedback from the group. When using the manual mode, during spirited high rev shifts (near red line), the shifts are very abrupt (only test 1st and 2nd gear shifts) and feel like a "clunk". This never happens in normal or sport mode automatic mode, shifting is acceptable. Only in manual mode and it is abrupt.

I searched up to page 17 on this particular forum area and couldn't find anything that related, so here I am asking if any other owners have run into this. If this is indicative of future problems, I'd like to have it fixed. No I don't drive like this all the time, I did it more just to see how the manual mode would perform.

Please share if you have run into this issue.

Thanks,

Jon

Probably the clutch for the rear diff engaging it happen sometimes with a wot shift it shouldn't happen consistently though

It happens only in manual shift mode on heavy acceleration when I go to shift up. There is an every so slight hesitation, then thunk -> shift -> acellerate. Note: I am not letting up on the gas pedal during this to make it happen. I have released gas pedal pressure slightly -> shifted -> smoother shift no thunk. But it just doesn't seem like it should happen.

* Note: I am not trying to race this vehicle, I am just seeing if this is typical behavior for this particular model.

Last edited:
It is more pronounced in regular mode. Strangely, in Sport mode, the shift from 1st to 2nd is almost a bit of a punch (in a good way) with mild torque steer, where the shift from 2nd to 3rd in sport mode thunks a little. So, a little better in Sport mode.

There is a dealer alert out on loose 2 big bolts/nuts at the base of the front strut for certain vins where it attaches to the wheel spindle/hub. Make sure those nuts are tight, it could be moving on high torque loads. If so dealer should fix/replace nuts.

There is a dealer alert out on loose 2 big bolts/nuts at the base of the front strut for certain vins where it attaches to the wheel spindle/hub. Make sure those nuts are tight, it could be moving on high torque loads. If so dealer should fix/replace nuts.

Oh yea I remeber that. People on the cx 5 club fb page were freaking out about it. It's literally like a 17mm bolt on the bottom of the strut tou can tighten without even removing the wheel lol

This clunk noise is coming from the transmission itself and is especially pronounced at cars with manual transmissions.
It can be heard during shifting from 1st to 2nd and to 3rd gear, later te sound dissapears.
When the outside temp. is below 5C the soud almost dissapears (the oil gets thicker), at higher temps it gets more obvious.

Went beck to the dealer and thay say everything is OK...this sopoused to be the result of lighter transmission construction
and poor isolation. We also tested some others CX-5 and the sound is similar.
At automatic transmission this sound is much harder to notice, but obviously somethimes it also accures.

This clunk noise is coming from the transmission itself and is especially pronounced at cars with manual transmissions.
It can be heard during shifting from 1st to 2nd and to 3rd gear, later te sound dissapears.
When the outside temp. is below 5C the soud almost dissapears (the oil gets thicker), at higher temps it gets more obvious.

Went beck to the dealer and thay say everything is OK...this sopoused to be the result of lighter transmission construction
and poor isolation. We also tested some others CX-5 and the sound is similar.
At automatic transmission this sound is much harder to notice, but obviously somethimes it also accures.

It's more than a sound, it's a feel too.

It's more than a sound, it's a feel too.

yes, you can also fill the backlash in transfers...go try some CX-5 with manual transmission so you can compare.
I was also suprised (as you are) about that beeing normal and that it does not bothers anybody else....??
I was also searching german forums and some CX 5 owners reporter this "issue" but it looks like this
is not cousing any problems....at least not until now....?

So I took car to Mazda service and drove with lead technician. Can you all believe I could not reproduce the issue?!? I have only had the car a few weeks and he was the first passenger I've had where I drove in manual mode with high revs. He is heavy set, maybe with the extra weight it causes the car not to accelerate fast enough to recreate problem? I told him I was going to schedule an appointment for the car to be dropped off and I would let him drive it.

Back