The Ohio Random Thread... aka We Should Probably Be Working

Get a bike, Jon. I wish I did much earlier. Then again, if I got a bike in my 20's I would be dead.

ryca-rr-1-bobber-02.jpg

Ive always been a big fan of bobbers and may end up with one in the near future

^^^ That must be one hell of a thumper with that big single cylinder!

Get a bike, Jon. I wish I did much earlier. Then again, if I got a bike in my 20's I would be dead.

I actually have no desire to go fast on a bike; just to cruise. I love the look of the cafe' scene and older Japanese bikes but I'm not sure I want to deal with the constant maintenance required of them (hence the Triumph I posted). Honda and Yamaha have some retro-styled bikes out now with EFI but I'd want something bigger than a 250 (again, hence the Triumph). Then again, I don't know why I like how these things look!

probably not too bad, thats a bobber kit from a company called RYCA that you can for a Suzuki Boulevard s40 (~650cc motor). Its also just the first image that came up of the styling of the bobber that i like haha

I hear ya, I like the way the older bikes look but with the modern touches/mechanics as well. I have a boner for the Yamaha XSR700 and would love one in a couple years when I could afford one.

2f41f3b9ffc851cb2c8f9dde13810865_555X416_1.jpg

I wouldn't have a truck as the main family vehicle unless Amber steals it from me. As big as the Taco's and Colorado's are now, might not even need a full size truck honestly.

Why wouldn't you go for a full size truck, when you can get a Silverado for the same money as the Colorado, with similar if not the same fuel economy. I know someone who just "ordered" a Colorado. It was already ordered by a dealer, but they could add some extras, just couldn't change the paint color, and it will be another 8 weeks before they see it, if they are lucky.

Why wouldn't you go for a full size truck, when you can get a Silverado for the same money as the Colorado, with similar if not the same fuel economy. I know someone who just "ordered" a Colorado. It was already ordered by a dealer, but they could add some extras, just couldn't change the paint color, and it will be another 8 weeks before they see it, if they are lucky.

I drove a Colorado with the V6 the other day. I was not impressed.

Why wouldn't you go for a full size truck, when you can get a Silverado for the same money as the Colorado, with similar if not the same fuel economy.

yea the taco/frontier/colorado's are damn near as much as the full size trucks anymore and the fuel economy isnt much different. unless there are mass improvements in fuel economy and/or the midsize trucks get cheaper (which will never happen) the smarter choice IMO would be to snag a full size during a sale.

My old Tacoma was ~$25K after taxes and everything back in '09. Granted, it was pretty much the most basic 4x4, V6 model you could get. It isn't hard to build a $35K "mid-size" truck but a full-size with similar amenities is going to run you near $50K the last I checked. Hell, loaded Camry's are over $40K nowadays. My parent's fully-loaded '94 XLE was $24K.

RX-7 is done at the body shop! Hopefully bringing it home today :D

My old Tacoma was ~$25K after taxes and everything back in '09. Granted, it was pretty much the most basic 4x4, V6 model you could get. It isn't hard to build a $35K "mid-size" truck but a full-size with similar amenities is going to run you near $50K the last I checked. Hell, loaded Camry's are over $40K nowadays. My parent's fully-loaded '94 XLE was $24K.

Make sure you post pictures.

Because when I build them online the Silverado is about $15k more. If I were really shopping I'm sure with the billion incentives Silverados ar the better deal, not too many for the Colorado since it's new. Also because the New Colorado is close to the size of what used to be considered full size truck, albeit 20ish years ago. That size was big enough then, I'm sure it could get most jobs done.
I drove a Colorado with the V6 the other day. I was not impressed.
More Detail? Interior crappy? felt like no power?
yea the taco/frontier/colorado's are damn near as much as the full size trucks anymore and the fuel economy isnt much different. unless there are mass improvements in fuel economy and/or the midsize trucks get cheaper (which will never happen) the smarter choice IMO would be to snag a full size during a sale.
Probably, see comment above.

Jalopnik had a great article about raising truck prices with basically the same features and only slightly better full economy. Something like 40-50% more for the same basic Silverado a decade later.

Progress!

In the end it doesn't matter, I'm going to buy something old and cheap with steal bumpers to protect/hit all the cuv's.

Last edited:

I actually have no desire to go fast on a bike; just to cruise. I love the look of the cafe' scene and older Japanese bikes but I'm not sure I want to deal with the constant maintenance required of them (hence the Triumph I posted). Honda and Yamaha have some retro-styled bikes out now with EFI but I'd want something bigger than a 250 (again, hence the Triumph). Then again, I don't know why I like how these things look!

Ah, go for it man. Bikes are way easier to work on than cars. Plus the older japanese bikes are both simple and reliable. Carbs are sometimes daunting, but people make them out to be a lot more difficult than they are. If your rubber bits and diaphrams are all blown (worst case scenario) you can spend a few hundred bucks on new Mikuni's and they'll already be set up for the bike.

I bought an old Honda Shadow 600 that had been sitting in a garage for several years for $300. In a month it was running, in 9 months I turned it into a bobber. I'm not extremely mechanically inclined (occasional light car mods and maintenance), and rebuilding the bike honestly wasn't that hard. It's not fast, but it is pretty light for a cruiser, and it is fun to ride. The real expense of riding is in the gear if you ask me.

Ah, go for it man. Bikes are way easier to work on than cars. Plus the older japanese bikes are both simple and reliable. Carbs are sometimes daunting, but people make them out to be a lot more difficult than they are. If your rubber bits and diaphrams are all blown (worst case scenario) you can spend a few hundred bucks on new Mikuni's and they'll already be set up for the bike.

LOL, one project at a time. Need to finish the RX7 first. There's also that need for a rider's license. I'm comfortable with dirt bikes but I'm not sure I want to jump right into a $10k Triumph or something as large as a GL1000. Maybe those new EFI, single-cylinder, 250's aren't such a bad idea afterall...

LOL, one project at a time. Need to finish the RX7 first. There's also that need for a rider's license. I'm comfortable with dirt bikes but I'm not sure I want to jump right into a $10k Triumph or something as large as a GL1000. Maybe those new EFI, single-cylinder, 250's aren't such a bad idea afterall...

I feel ya on the one project at a time. I have 4 projects and enough money to complete zero of them. (whistle) The Triumph Thruxton is pretty easy to ride, but yeah, starting on a $10k bike isn't the best idea. Anything between a 250 and 600 is a great starter bike. Just something cheap that you're not afraid to knock over once or twice to get your feet wet.

The easiest and best way to obtain the riders license is by taking the Motorcycle Safety Course at Diamond or Scarlet Oaks. I think the course is something like $25, and it is one evening and 2 half-day classes. They provide the bikes. At the end of the course you get your motorcyle endorsement; no other riding test needed. It's a great course, and if you know how to ride a dirt bike you're already ahead of the game. I'll probably take the class again as a refresher when my wife goes for her M license.

As much fun as it is to tear down a twisty road in a Miata with the top down, riding a motorcycle is the most fun you can have with pants on.

Because when I build them online the Silverado is about $15k more. If I were really shopping I'm sure with the billion incentives Silverados ar the better deal, not too many for the Colorado since it's new. Also because the New Colorado is close to the size of what used to be considered full size truck, albeit 20ish years ago. That size was big enough then, I'm sure it could get most jobs done.

With the incentives, you can get a Silverado for within $500 bucks of the Colorado. Or you could do what we have been doing the past 3 years, buy a Silverado CPO with 13-16k on the clock. Comes with extended powertrain warranty, and a price tag that is way less than new.

More Detail? Interior crappy? felt like no power?

Probably, see comment above.

Jalopnik had a great article about raising truck prices with basically the same features and only slightly better full economy. Something like 40-50% more for the same basic Silverado a decade later.

It felt like too big of a truck for what it was. When it's suppose to be a small truck, I imagine it feels like a Ranger or something. And the engine was overburdened by the whole truck. It was thrashy and coarse feeling.

What you said is how I feel about the new Silverado, and that's what a customer of mine said last month. He had an 11 Silverado and was looking at a 15. He said when he drove it, it felt exactly like his current truck. He drove a new F-150 and he was blown away by how much nicer of an overall truck it was. Needless to say, he left with a new F-150.

It felt like too big of a truck for what it was. When it's suppose to be a small truck, I imagine it feels like a Ranger or something. And the engine was overburdened by the whole truck. It was thrashy and coarse feeling.

What you said is how I feel about the new Silverado, and that's what a customer of mine said last month. He had an 11 Silverado and was looking at a 15. He said when he drove it, it felt exactly like his current truck. He drove a new F-150 and he was blown away by how much nicer of an overall truck it was. Needless to say, he left with a new F-150.

That's funny you say the new one feels like too much truck for it's motor/trans option. The old Canyon/Colorado feels the same way. I imagine the diesel (if it happens) option would fix this problem, but who knows.

So how was everyone's weekend? I had a traffic study in Walnut Creek Saturday afternoon, then relaxed Sunday.

So how was everyone's weekend? I had a traffic study in Walnut Creek Saturday afternoon, then relaxed Sunday.

Weekend was good. Went thru a lot of stuff and was able to get rid a decent amount. Was able to go to Cars and Coffee on Saturday, even ran my car thru a car wash! Went to Zoobezi Bay (water park next to the Columbus Zoo) on Sunday, came home to watch Graham Rahal take the checkered flag at Mid-Ohio and came up with "a plan" for when Amber goes back to work next Monday.

Sad we couldn't make Mid-Ohio again this year. Maybe next year won't be as crazy.

Brought the RX7 home on Friday but couldn't really work on it at all because we had family in town. The didn't prevent me from spending about an hour in the garage on Saturday until I was accused of being anti-social. Was still enough time to realize to ordered the wrong parts (still usable but now $140 than I needed to spend)

Went to the Butler Co. Fair on Saturday. I don't know what it is about fairs that attract certain kinds of people. Relaxed with family on Sunday and watched the Lime Rock Conti Race and Mid-Ohio Indy race.

Back