Mazdaspeed won't start after head replacement but cranks fine

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege 2.0L
I have a 2003.5 Mazdaspeed protege. Bought it not working because the previous owner broke one of the cam bearing bolts in the head. So I replaced the head and all gaskets. Replaced timing belt and tensioner, new plugs and belts, new front mount intercooler with HKS bov. Relocated mad between bov and throttle body. Fixed a wiring issue to coils. I also removed the security system since I had no fob and the key did not have a chip.

So my problem is it cranks and I have fuel and spark and the timing is perfect but it won't run. Won't even start and die. Just cranks and cranks and cranks. Compression is 90 on cyl one 125 on 2. 115 on 3 and 120 on 4? I was thinking maybe bad rings but I am at a loss. The head I put on all the calves were numbered like it just had a valve job but not sure because it came with the car and a bunch of other parts. We did a leak down test and all cylinders were leaking 95-100%. Any help would be great thank you.

Timing may be off, even though it looks correct. Cam gears could have been installed incorrectly or you may be 180* off.

I thought that to and I made sure the Intake was in back and the exhaust was in front and re did the timing 2 mor times and had another mechanic check it and it is dead on and still don't start.

Last edited:
Yes I have spark and fuel I think the rings are fried because when I had the head off piston 1 and 3 had little dents on top

Back