2013-2015 cx-5 awd grand touring applicable with 2016 alh/led headlights?

:
2015 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring (USA)
Hey All,

New here and not sure if there was a thread on this or not, couldn't find one. If so, I do apologize in advance! I was wondering if anyone on here has tried out using the 2016 CX5 ALH/LED headlights on an older model CX5? I have the 2015 AWD Grand Touring and would love to install them on my vehicle. Couldn't afford the 2016 GT tech package. (notcool) I see some people selling them saying "they are plug and play on older models." Can anyone help and advise and let me know? Would hate to do this then all of a sudden my lights and everything take a crap. Also, I saw on youtube that someone did indeed successfully install the 2016 LED taillights on an older model and it worked fine. So hopefully the headlights are the same? (HOPE). Thanks again!

It is possible, but you have to know how to cut the wires and might need to open the lamp to adjust something. Also, it cost way too much to do it, I will said install HID kits or try the new TRS LED H11 kits.

I see. So the plug and play statement would be false then huh? Do you have a website for this TRS LED H11 kit? Thanks for your help!

I thought I remember someone saying they checked with a dealer and it was plug n play..

I can't see how they would be plug and play. Maybe just the headlights may work but ALH, Active cornering and High beam assist functions would rely on sensors already on the GT spec vehicle for it to function. Tail lights are definitely plug and play.

I can't see how they would be plug and play. Maybe just the headlights may work but ALH, Active cornering and High beam assist functions would rely on sensors already on the GT spec vehicle for it to function. Tail lights are definitely plug and play.

I see, my 2015 has the Adaptive Front Lighting System. Would that be the same wire setup for the 2016 ALH? I'd assume so, but maybe Im wrong. Just want to be sure before I pursue this project or not... Thanks for your help!

I was wondering if anyone on here has tried out using the 2016 CX5 ALH/LED headlights on an older model CX5?
Firstly, there's no Adaptive LED Headlamps (ALH) exists in the US market. We have LED headlights with Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS) for 2016 Mazda CX-5.

ALH is constructed from a matrix of individually dimmable LEDs, each aimed in a different direction. It uses full electronic control with variety of beam patterns for different situation without any mechanical moving parts. On the other hand, AFS uses motors moving headlight projector or reflector up/down and left/right. Just click the link and you'll understand the difference.

You can retrofit 2016 CX-5 LED taillights into 2013~2015 CX-5 easily as plug and play. But to retrofit front LED headlights with AFS from 2016 CX-5 into older CX-5, that would be a totally different story. You need many sensors to support LED headlights with AFS. None of those sensors exists in 2013~2015 CX-5 with halogen headlights. You do have those sensors with factory xenon headlights with AFS, but they're not totally compatible with LED headlights with AFS. So far I've heard someone in Taiwan successfully retrofit the OEM LED headlights with AFS into a CX-5 with halogen headlights, but have no further details. And you do realize that each OEM LED headlight unit costs $1,250 MSRP, right?!

As to retrofit ALH into older CX-5, that's an impossible task as you need a camera used by Mazda Radar Cruise Control (MRCC), not to mention even more expensive ALH headlight unit won't be available in the US!

I see. So the plug and play statement would be false then huh? Do you have a website for this TRS LED H11 kit? Thanks for your help!

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/hid-systems/morimoto-elite-hid-system-h11.html#.V5kZsrgrKhc
THIS IS HID KITS CHOOSE H11B BECAUSE MAZDA USED DIFFERENT HOUSING. I USED IT FOR ALMOST 2 YEARS, SO FAR SO GOOD. BRIGHTER THAN MY 2016 X5 STOCK HID HEADLIGHTS.
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/led-lighting/led-bulbs/2stroke-h11-led.html#.V5kaHbgrKhc
THIS ONE IS THE H11 LED, I HAVEN'T TRIED IT BEFORE, SO THERE ARE SOME RISKS YOU NEED TO KNOW. ALSO THEY HAVE WARRANTIES, SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT THEM. JUST WORRY ABOUT YOUR HEADLIGHT HOUSING.

I see, my 2015 has the Adaptive Front Lighting System. Would that be the same wire setup for the 2016 ALH? I'd assume so, but maybe Im wrong. Just want to be sure before I pursue this project or not... Thanks for your help!

I cannot say for sure if it will be the same setup between 2015 and 2016 models. My understanding is that AFS moves the headlights 15 degrees left or right when turning, I would imagine the mechanism for it to function can't be too different if at all but as for the wiring, I would not know. I know that in the 2016 model, AFS must be turned on/off from within the infotainment system whereas in models before 2016, there is an AFS switch down next to the steering wheel.

It's also combined with auto dipping which uses a windscreen sensor along with monitoring the positioning of taillights (it can dip around a car you are following. They dip instantly but fade up gradually. This system also has longer range than the other options. They are the best all round headlights I've ever experienced but are part of an 800 safety pack only available on the GT (Sportnav over here).

Back