2016 CX-5 Oil Leak??

adgjqetuo

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 AWD GT
Wife left for work this morning and I noticed fresh oil on the garage floor. Oil light isn't on, but when she got home I looked under the car and the plastic around the pan is wet with oil - I plan to check the level next - but I'm a little disappointed it has an oil leak with only 30k miles...

Dealer is scheduled to look at it on Wednesday but I'm a little worried about what the future holds - should I inquire about an extended warranty through Mazda?

Extended warranties are a notoriously poor inventment, especially on a vehicle as reliable as a Mazda. That said, stay calm until you hear what the dealer has to say. When was the car last serviced? Sometimes, because of the plastic shield under the engine, it can take a while for something as minor as a drain plug or filter leak to make itself known. Some early CX-5s, such as my 2013 2.0 ltr, suffered from leaky drain plugs for which the official fix was a new oil pan (although a less "invasive" cure turned out to be a little Permatex drain plug sealant at every oil change). Not saying that's what ails your car, but it could be something simple related to its last service.

Thanks for the reply - I pulled the dip stick and oil is up to the full mark (well, up to the bottom of the hole and half way wrapped around it on the side). I'm going to pull the cover after dinner and look at the plug - maybe they didn't tighten it all the way or the gasket is bad.

It must be a slow leak, I've had a towel under the car for 3 hours and no oil yet - but it could be collecting on the plastic like you mentioned - I hate how everything is covered in plastic with today's engines >.<

Last oil change was on May 2nd (2k miles ago) - car caught a break while my wife was on maternity leave!

Last edited:
Took the cover off - I think I found the culprit -

I think the oil pan gasket is failing - the entire outside rim is dry except the front passenger corner which is fairly wet with oil. The plug and filter looked OK from my view.

Attachments

• IMG_2135.JPG
    IMG_2135.JPG
    905.3 KB · Views: 662
  • IMG_2137.JPG
    IMG_2137.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 616
  • IMG_2118.JPG
    IMG_2118.JPG
    614.8 KB · Views: 638
Last edited:
Took the cover off - I think I found the culprit -

I think the oil pan gasket is failing - the entire outside rim is dry except the front passenger corner which is fairly wet with oil. The plug and filter looked OK from my view.

Could be something above flowing down to that point?

Front part of splash shield may be all that is needed... I would probably drop the whole thing though.

Screen%20Shot%202016-06-22%20at%204.45.19%20PM.jpg

Front part of splash shield may be all that is needed... I would probably drop the whole thing though.

I looked all around and everything looked pretty dry from what I could see - the only part that was wet was in that one area.

I didn't want to wipe the plastic cover (or around the pan) clean for fear the dealer may just send me home from not having any evidence.

But part of me wonders if it'll come back - maybe it's just sloppy oil change work?

Last edited:
Maybe some one missed the oil fill hole on the last oil change and it took a while to run down. When's the last time oil was added?

Screen%20Shot%202016-06-22%20at%204.45.19%20PM.jpg
So 8 bolts (A), 4 screws (B), and 3 fasteners (C), that's all it takes just to remove the front undercover no. 1? I thought taking down one-piece belly pan on my 2001.5 VW Passat is the worst with 9 fasteners and 1 nut! ;)

... But part of me wonders if it'll come back - maybe it's just sloppy oil change work?
Very likely. Or could be the front crankshaft bearing seal is leaking but that is rare. Dealer should clean up the area first then wait and see.

Agree. Only check oil level and let the dealer service dept. do any warranty work. Don't fret about possible worse case scenarios. Ed

Thanks - Yes, I lowered the cover to take a look, but didn't really touch anything and put the cover full of oil back on.

I haven't seen any leaks on the garage since, but I have an appointment today for them to take a look and will report back.

Dealer came back and said the oil fill plug gasket wasn't seated right when they did the last service and did a complimentary oil change.

Being close to my 3/36 warranty ending I expressed concern if it was something worse and it showed up again in a few months - the service technician took me into his office and pulled up the pan gasket on the computer and confirmed it was covered under the 6/60 warranty.

He also showed me a document from Mazda he had in his office which stated they a tier-1 dealer and Mazda allows them - at their discretion - to authorize any out of warranty repairs up to 7/75 with a $1,500 max per VIN. He told me not to worry about it and since I've been coming there often they would take care of anything they could and made a note on my account. I guess you have to take it at face value, but it did make me feel a little better about it.

Last edited:
I assume you meant oil drain plug gasket..

Yikes.. for that amount of oil I would almost think a hand tightened drain plug.

You are a cognizant & responsible owner so just keep an eye on it... I'm gonna check on my ghost leak issue in a few weeks. I'm going on vacation for a couple weeks with vehicle so if my leak is still there I will be at dealer. If not.. just my scheduled oil change. I will probably do AT fluid change at same time.

Tier-1 dealer? Any relationship to the Gold Cup award? Interesting that Mazda authorized a dealership to decide on out-of-warranty repairs on its own.

Yes, drain plug - sorry typing faster then thinking :)

I agree, it sounded skeptical to me too, but since it's under the 6/60 I have time to monitor it. It definitely didn't seem that loose to me when I looked at it.

Tier-1 dealer? Any relationship to the Gold Cup award? Interesting that Mazda authorized a dealership to decide on out-of-warranty repairs on its own.

Honestly, I'm not sure what that was about. The document had tier 1 and tier 2. Tier 1 stated 7/75/$1,500 and tier 2 was a lot less - I forget exactly what - I want to say 4/48/$250 but I honestly can't remember.

Back