03 Protege ES ECU Replacement?

PHATBOi

Hi everyone. This is my first post. I have a 2003 Protege ES 2.0 non turbo and I just ordered a used ecu off of ebay. I have been having a random missfire problem and a friend that had a 99 Protege said she had the same problem and they replaced the ecu and it fixed it.

Ok, my question is where is the ecu located on my model and are there any special instructions on changing it or do I just unplug one and plug in the other. Someone mentioned flashing the new ecu, how would i do this and is it necessary?

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks guys.

before you go and replace the ecu, you should replace the coil packs and check the intake boot for tears

almost 100% sure its one of the 2, replacing the ECU wont do anything unfortunately

Planning on new coil packs and spark plugs as well. So I take it these instructions are to install some sort of performance chip, but in the process they show me how to do the ecu, correct?

So, there is no need to flash the ecu or whatever? Thanks guys.

Last edited:
no, no need to flash the ECU, and yea, those installation instructions are for some chip,
just pull up the carpet on the pass. side, and there are 4 10mm bolts you need to remove, then u can flip the panel with the ecu over and remove the rest

Flashing to MP3 gives more power through timing and flashing to MSP is for boosting but both require running super unleaded.

before you go and replace the ecu, you should replace the coil packs and check the intake boot for tears

almost 100% sure its one of the 2, replacing the ECU wont do anything unfortunately

+1 Coils are known to cause random misfires on these cars. Replace the coils, plugs and wires. The intake tube from the MAF to the throttle body cracks and causes the car to run lean. Check it over well, replace it or put in a cheap aftermarket intake if it's cracked.

Bump man. Please help guys. There's like 160 users online and no one can help me out?

You'd probably get more help if you post in the right forum.

I mean this in the nicest way possible, but how can you possibly think that the forum for an authorized vendor is an appropriate place to post a question about an ECU from eBay?

Now I'm done being an ass - but I am legitimately curious.

Oh I didn't realize this was a vendor. I thought it was like the garage area of the forum. I really do apologize.

Mods, please move this thread to the right forum. Thanks.

+1 Coils are known to cause random misfires on these cars. Replace the coils, plugs and wires. The intake tube from the MAF to the throttle body cracks and causes the car to run lean. Check it over well, replace it or put in a cheap aftermarket intake if it's cracked.

Replaced coil packs and plugs this morning. Code hasn't come back yet but the miss is still there. Already had the cracked intake tube problem, threw on a cheap ebay aftermarket one like you said. Thanks guys.

He seems to have come to the wrong forum for some information about changing the ECU for his 03 Protg lucky he got a couple of useful advice here so with that hell have something idea of what to expect when he asks around!! Must be careful when you finally change it!!

Back