I can't seem to get the hang of heel-and-toe downshifts in my P5

:
2002 Protege5 5MT Black
I've had my 2002 Protege5 5-speed for about 6 months. The last time I drove a stick was in the mid 1980s, in a 1971 Toyota Corolla wagon without power brakes. I taught myself to heel-and-toe in that car and became quite proficient at it, but the brakes in my P5 are so sensitive that I feel like I'm going to fly through the windshield every time I try it. Has anyone mastered the art of heel-and-toe in their P5, and do you have any tips to help this old dog relearn an old trick?

I've found that the pedals are so close together that I dont need to use the heel. I just bridge the gap between the pedals with my foot in a somewhat normal driving position. Right side of my foot on the brake and the left side on the gas. Then you just kind of roll your foot off the brake and onto the throttle.

I also see that youre in seattle, where at?

Took me a while to teach my self how to do to do it smoothly. But now I can do it with passengers with out anyone noticing. Practice braking with your foot in the air rather then with your heal on the ground. The should help you with the over braking. But apart from that just practice. Just make sure there are no cars behind you lol.

Last edited:
I've found that the pedals are so close together that I dont need to use the heel. I just bridge the gap between the pedals with my foot in a somewhat normal driving position. Right side of my foot on the brake and the left side on the gas. Then you just kind of roll your foot off the brake and onto the throttle.

^this.

Took me a while to teach my self how to do to do it smoothly. But now I can do it with passengers with out anyone noticing. Practice braking with your foot in the air rather then with your heal on the ground. The should help you with the over braking. But apart from that just practice. Just make sure there are no cars behind you lol.

Hmm, I haven't thought of trying it with my heel off the floor. I'll give that a shot, thanks.

I also see that youre in seattle, where at?

Yes, that's the way I've been doing it. Because of my height I'm a little short on legroom, so I find that I'm driving with my heel under the brake pedal, even when I'm stepping on the gas. I wonder if that's the problem?

Are you a fellow Seattleite? I live in the Lake City neighborhood, near the intersection of NE 140th Street and Lake City Way.

Are you a fellow Seattleite? I live in the Lake City neighborhood, near the intersection of NE 140th Street and Lake City Way.

Not technically, I live across the water in port orchard. I was just wondering, because most people that say they live in seattle dont actually live IN seattle.

Back