Fog Light Questions (adding aftermarket ones)

daan

:
06 "5"
I guess this is as good as anyplace to put this...

'06 5, the headlights are getting yellow, so they don't seem as bright as they used to. I have a set of fog/driving lights in the garage that I bought for the Miata I used to have (did I really sell that SEVEN years ago now? Jeez...)
I want to put them where the factory fog lights would go.

I asked at the closest dealer about OEM ones, and they just laughed at me...they're mostly a Chevy dealer so stocking/getting accessories for a 9-year old "furrin" car isn't really a priority there.
If I just leave the black plate thing off rather than cut a hole in them, will that let water or too much air in, or something? I figure the plates are on there for a reason...
Also, where is a good spot to pull wires into the cabin from? I put fog lights on other cars, but that was loooong ago, where you basically just whacked a hole in the steel bumper for the lights, and there were 4 or 5 holes in the (easily accessible) firewall to choose from, so looking around in the engine compartment didn't look to promising. I figure SOMEONE on here must have done this at some point...

Thanks in advance!

I guess this is as good as anyplace to put this...

'06 5, the headlights are getting yellow, so they don't seem as bright as they used to. I have a set of fog/driving lights in the garage that I bought for the Miata I used to have (did I really sell that SEVEN years ago now? Jeez...)
I want to put them where the factory fog lights would go.

I asked at the closest dealer about OEM ones, and they just laughed at me...they're mostly a Chevy dealer so stocking/getting accessories for a 9-year old "furrin" car isn't really a priority there.
If I just leave the black plate thing off rather than cut a hole in them, will that let water or too much air in, or something? I figure the plates are on there for a reason...
Also, where is a good spot to pull wires into the cabin from? I put fog lights on other cars, but that was loooong ago, where you basically just whacked a hole in the steel bumper for the lights, and there were 4 or 5 holes in the (easily accessible) firewall to choose from, so looking around in the engine compartment didn't look to promising. I figure SOMEONE on here must have done this at some point...

Thanks in advance!

Maybe check a auto wreckers for some inserts - then custom fit your fogs into them?

as for a hole check this post for pics -> http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123833616-Amp-Power-cable-2010-Mazda-5

Wow, you read my mind. I was just thinking of trying to fit some after markets in there.

I never really looked behind there, as mine has the fog lights already. I have yellow bulbs coming for my fogs to increase fog driving. I also am installing some sort of drivng/spot light behind the grill on the 5 as well for moose spoting. Not sure what I am using there.

So I had some time to dig around in there, once you get the under-tray and the 2 side pieces off, there's NOTHING under/behind the fog light panel things on the bumper cover. There is wiring right to the plate thingy, but I don't know if I can just wire my lights to it without burning anything (don't know the wattage of the OEM lights, plus I'd want my new ones on all the time, not just with low beams)

There is a piece of metal, more towards the middle (I'm sure it's the bumper)

THis is looking straight up from the ground, the white "balls" are the styrofoam pieces between the bumper and the cover. Terrible pic, I know but my kids broke my "real" camera and all I have is my phone.

it appears that I could tap a hole in it for the light brackets, but putting the light over as far towards the end would place it here

I can't figure out if the plate/block-off thingy is sturdy enough to mount the light to it

it SEEMS rigid enough, but I'd rather not have my lights fall off as soon as I hit the first bump. Maybe I'll have my dad (former metal worker/welder) see if he can make some kind of bracket that can extend out from the bumper.

So I had some time to dig around in there, once you get the under-tray and the 2 side pieces off, there's NOTHING under/behind the fog light panel things on the bumper cover. There is wiring right to the plate thingy, but I don't know if I can just wire my lights to it without burning anything (don't know the wattage of the OEM lights, plus I'd want my new ones on all the time, not just with low beams)

There is a piece of metal, more towards the middle (I'm sure it's the bumper)

THis is looking straight up from the ground, the white "balls" are the styrofoam pieces between the bumper and the cover. Terrible pic, I know but my kids broke my "real" camera and all I have is my phone.

it appears that I could tap a hole in it for the light brackets, but putting the light over as far towards the end would place it here

I can't figure out if the plate/block-off thingy is sturdy enough to mount the light to it

it SEEMS rigid enough, but I'd rather not have my lights fall off as soon as I hit the first bump. Maybe I'll have my dad (former metal worker/welder) see if he can make some kind of bracket that can extend out from the bumper.

The OEM fog lights attach to the plastic trim piece...So using the hole-less one would be fine in my opinion..just attach the brackets securely OR cut the hole small enough that the fog like squeezes in the hole tight but still able to aim...and use the fog lights mount hole to make bracket or simply place the screws(hardware) on to the lights so they would fall out(unless the light itself is tapered in size..

Back