Rally2003's Build Thread

So in stead of welding new tabs I'm swapping dash braces because the previous owner cut all the tabs for extra stuff he didn't need. So close to having the interior done minus the front seats.
d677e3c7bfe080b7a33e4949ffb72d94.jpg

Almost done with completely taking her down to the bare shell or at least as far as I'm going to too. Just need to pull the dash brace from the other car and swap over the heater for defrost. I really want to delete it, but I have a feeling I'll need it for the cooler mornings in the spring and fall for events and those late night runs in the valleys.

Great work! This may be a stupid question, but why do all the work to reinstall the interior in the yellow car and strip the titanium? Is the shell ruined?

Both sides of the unibody before the rear subframe are completely shot. I wouldn't feel safe if the rear end of the car gave out while going 120mph at Mid-Ohio or even at safe driving speeds.
265a1bb3c57aee909484ed88b931751b.jpg

That's what I figured, nice work either way. I have wanted to go to mid-ohio, went to Gingerman last summer in Michigan when I drove to Detroit for the Mustang 50th.

Although it is kinda funny that cleverfrog sold that car because it was 'too far gone' and you are doing the opposite. Thank you for saving an MSP

Thanks. It was too good to let go, but to each their own. I just can't wait to have her running again.

Just another day of welding the inner panels for the doors. One more to go and then on to the dash.
2a70699fb5570f145800b5cda582363c.jpg

7976dfa7d932f35ebac3e31c6fa6944b.jpg

Yikes on the unibody rot. Quick question, how do you weld the door panels into place? Where do you attach the grounding strap for the welder? Just curious because I'll be cutting out the spare tire well in my project car and welding in a flat panel + battery container in its place.

The ground strap I attach to a bar section that I will weld after I get weld the other sections. I just clamp/vise grip the section into place. and they have just a little overlap, but it is fine because door panel covers it anyways. After that I went back and sprayed it with some primer/paint just to keep the edges from being bare. After I have all the windows in place and the panels ready to be fully bolted I'll go back and put some seam sealer to join the two panels and fill the overlap and small gaps.

For the spare tire area just put the ground strap on the rear tow hook area or sub frame where some bare metal is showing. Really I need a gas setup for this thin sheet metal. Luckily it doesn't have to look pretty or be structural for a lot of weight.

Damn, would've been easier to swap and paint the doors! I spy a late 2nd gen T/A, my dad had a cameo white '73 T/A 455 when I was a kid.

I don't have money to have the door panels painted and match the rest of the car. Plus yellow is the worst color to paint match, let alone yellow with a lot of flake in it. When I get ridiculous with this car in a couple years there will be more surprises to come.

The "Dirty Bird" is my baby. All show and no go. 1979 403 6.6L autotragic. Thanks to emissions in 1976 is had a whopping 220hp from the factory and remains stock... for now. As it runs now my wife's Mazda 2 could probably beat it. I would love to have a matching color 73 or 75 455 car with a 5spd. Too many toys and not enough money.

I know all too well what you mean, a friend had a 79 vette with a 350 and it didn't even make enough power to do a burnout. With an open diff. My 91 chevy tbi 4.3 160hp truck could even do a one wheel peel. My dad sold that car when I was 6 and I loved it so much. They are worth $35-40k nowadays and SDs are over $50k, would love to have it back.

I don't have money to have the door panels painted and match the rest of the car. Plus yellow is the worst color to paint match, let alone yellow with a lot of flake in it. When I get ridiculous with this car in a couple years there will be more surprises to come.

The "Dirty Bird" is my baby. All show and no go. 1979 403 6.6L autotragic. Thanks to emissions in 1976 is had a whopping 220hp from the factory and remains stock... for now. As it runs now my wife's Mazda 2 could probably beat it. I would love to have a matching color 73 or 75 455 car with a 5spd. Too many toys and not enough money.
75 is when emissions really kicked in and the cat was mandatory. my '75 Camaro came with 145hp FTW!

Although it is kinda funny that cleverfrog sold that car because it was 'too far gone' and you are doing the opposite. Thank you for saving an MSP

TBH I just wanted to get rid of it. Hate me all you want though. I would have scraped it if he didn't want it.

It's weird to see the doors have panels on them again Corey. Will it be ready for the 1st event? HAHAHA. You can co-drive the FC.

It will be close to being done depending if the motor is ok out of the white car and need to put the stock clutch back on it for now until I can afford a stage 2 or 3.

TBH I just wanted to get rid of it. Hate me all you want though. I would have scraped it if he didn't want it.

It's weird to see the doors have panels on them again Corey. Will it be ready for the 1st event? HAHAHA. You can co-drive the FC.

You don't have to worry about that lmfao.

Finally getting to tear apart some more of MSP #1. It will be really sad to see it go, but after taking out all the carpet and dash area I can't believe how much rust is on the interior of the car. I'm really curious to know how long this car sat before being rebuild and sold to me. There is a 50 cent piece size hole in the trunk floor, the ECU panel is all rusty, the floor boards are covered in rust, and the main reason for me getting rid of it is the unibody before the rear subframe looks like a earthquake went through it. I couldn't imagine ever tracking the car, going 120, and have the rear suspension decide to fall off because the frame rail on the unibody gave out. It will be really sad to see her go. Hopefully I'll have some more time and money after I get some of my friends parts made that I can continue on Pikachu.

Wow, haven't been on here in forever. As some of you know I've moved around a little in the last few years. Went to South Carolina for a little bit and now live in Kansas. All of the toys are still in Ohio waiting to come over this way when I get a garage with a little more space to house them all. The white MSP is gone, God rest her soul, but many of the parts still live on in my 2 other cars. Pikachu is still basically a shell awaiting a built motor and supporting mods. The door panels are all back together and all of the glass and window motors are back in. The Silver car needs a turbo and has been converted to NA for now. Super loud and runs like crap lol. Hopefully when everything gets moved out this way I'll be able to have a better post and get everything back to where it should be.

Welcome back man. Adulthood is real huh? lol. Excited to see what you got going on here soon!

Back