What have you done to your MSP today?

I've not had an issue with this one in the past couple of years. It coincidentally started leaking while my friend had the car in her possession, but has gotten worse over the past couple of weeks. I went through 2 quarts of oil over the weekend. Going to remove the pan Saturday morning and take it to my buddy to weld it for me. The bead of RTV I laid on the oil pan/windage tray is so pretty and shows no signs of leaking... I don't want to disassembled it again. :( Oh, well! Here's to another weekend of working on the MSP. Good thing I love working on cars.

Last night, besides diagnosing the oil spill, I finished installing the front bumper cover. Still need to reinstall my left, front inner fender liner. The bumper mates up nicely and doesn't have excessive gap.

Weekend To-Do List:
-Repair oil pan.
-Remove and paint the SteedSpeed.
-Finish the carbon fiber hood.
-Get a good, solid tune.

I've not had an issue with this one in the past couple of years. It coincidentally started leaking while my friend had the car in her possession, but has gotten worse over the past couple of weeks. I went through 2 quarts of oil over the weekend. Going to remove the pan Saturday morning and take it to my buddy to weld it for me. The bead of RTV I laid on the oil pan/windage tray is so pretty and shows no signs of leaking... I don't want to disassembled it again. :( Oh, well! Here's to another weekend of working on the MSP. Good thing I love working on cars.

I'm pretty sure the AWR pans leak because they aren't fully welded at the flange. Thought there were some members who found that out. Should be an easy fix for you though. Fix it before you blow your engine again :p

I just realized... I can't weld it from the inside without disassembling the entire pan... that's not happening.... I'll just clean it up on the outside... I looked on AWRs site and doesn't say how thick the material is and what type of material. That dictates how much of a pain in the ads this is going to be.... FML
If you can find the pinholes, you could use the JBWeld putty that you use for fuel tanks or just weld them yourself. Then coat the entire pan in epoxy based truck bed liner and that should help protect it down the road.

If you can find the pinholes, you could use the JBWeld putty that you use for fuel tanks or just weld them yourself. Then coat the entire pan in epoxy based truck bed liner and that should help protect it down the road.
Jay my concern is I bought it new from Tony and now I might have to remove the powder coat to reweld it. That sucks

Jay my concern is I bought it new from Tony and now I might have to remove the powder coat to reweld it. That sucks

Def sucks balls to have a brand new product and have it leak. Don't they pressure test them?

Also, contact me through PM or email about the CS pipes. If you could get them here by Saturday I might buy them off of you and cancel my CS order.

AWR know those pans leak!!!...It's been years now that ppl. have been telling them, seems like they just don't give a fuc

+1 I have heard of a LOT of AWR pans leaking as well.

Had a great weekend at Texas World Speedway showing some high hp cars up in my little (maybe) 200hp Protege. Was passing Boss 302s, GT500s, even kept up with a C6 Z06 vette and a viper through the corners until we hit the front straight. This was my first track to drive on and it is closing in June so this was my last time here. Got an in car video but the file was corrupted somehow (fml) so trying to fix it so I can post it. Completely destroyed my front tires by pushing it way too hard in the corners and laying on the throttle too heavy but I have no regrets. Getting some track tires for the bronze MB weapons so I can get some more grip, was at the limit of my BFG street tires. Got lots of compliments, guy in a terminator and another guy with an M3 were like "That thing is ****** fast!". There was a speed miata and an FD RX7 (interestingly with stock MSP mazdaspeed emblems on the fenders and the engine cover emblem on the back lol) and my MSP were the only Mazdas out there among over 200 cars.

The Bullitt on the track tires and rims:

Badge look familiar?

They had a new Shelby GT350 at the track on display, and all I can say is holy s***. I will own one before I die.

+1 I have heard of a LOT of AWR pans leaking as well.

Had a great weekend at Texas World Speedway showing some high hp cars up in my little (maybe) 200hp Protege. Was passing Boss 302s, GT500s, even kept up with a C6 Z06 vette and a viper through the corners until we hit the front straight. This was my first track to drive on and it is closing in June so this was my last time here. Got an in car video but the file was corrupted somehow (fml) so trying to fix it so I can post it. Completely destroyed my front tires by pushing it way too hard in the corners and laying on the throttle too heavy but I have no regrets. Getting some track tires for the bronze MB weapons so I can get some more grip, was at the limit of my BFG street tires. Got lots of compliments, guy in a terminator and another guy with an M3 were like "That thing is ****** fast!". There was a speed miata and an FD RX7 (interestingly with stock MSP mazdaspeed emblems on the fenders and the engine cover emblem on the back lol) and my MSP were the only Mazdas out there among over 200 cars.

The Bullitt on the track tires and rims:

Badge look familiar?

They had a new Shelby GT350 at the track on display, and all I can say is holy s***. I will own one before I die.
That's sick bro. Congrats. What springs do you have again? The drop is like perfect..

To anyone afraid to 'push' their MSP or are worried about reliability, I ran my car for 3 days on track pushing it hard (on 10psi) for 4-5 30 minute sessions per day in the top of 3rd gear pushing from 5k to redline through the corners and hitting 4th gear on the long straights. All with the ORIGINAL drive train and turbo with 167k miles and the car still runs like a top. My MSP is my daily driver.

BTW had a rare silver MSP sighting yesterday in Austin and talked to the owner for a second at the light. Nice to see one around occasionally (that isn't yellow or gray)

Last edited:
That's sick bro. Congrats. What springs do you have again? The drop is like perfect..

Thanks man, Tein S tech in the front and new tokico blue struts that lower the back 3/4". The subs were out for the track so the back end sat up higher than normal but it looks good on the street.

Randomly posted the car for sale locally just to see if there is any interest.

You're selling your car bro? You're giving up on the ol msp?

I, literally, post the car for sale 2 or 3 times a year. Hoping I might find a bike I'd take a trade on. Or even a car. I'd just have to reeeeaaally want it to trade, and I always list my price as "firm". A Honda hatch, built, and an SRT4 were posted so I thought, "what the hell" because those cars are asking $7,000 FIRM and $6,400 OBO. The SRT is "full" bolt-on. Most of the time, I get some punk with a 94 Lexus GS or LS slammed on 20's or random, stock commuter cars or a work truck. I found an NA Miata last fall that was nice and the guy and I went back and forth for a week and we both decided against it. We all know I'm not going to sell. Even if I wanted to, I'd have to sell it for nothing to move it. Which sucks considering slammed mid-90s Honda civics are, somehow, pulling $5k all day long. And 240's... Yeah, they're a premium around these parts, too... I just don't get it. I guess I need larger wheels, more negative camber and plasti-dip....

I don't think I could ever sell. I'll just one day get a dd rather then just my gsxr. It is my dd or should say my fair weather transportation. Thinking about a perfectly tuned DD or what. Here's my thought car has body damage so I'll make it the dd forged motor stock turbo, exhaust, port and polish vtcs delete docb oil pump, pope smic new tokico blues, ebach pros and probably stock motor mounts poly filled. Of course a piggyback ecu too with 10psi. That should be a long haul DD. thoughts?

Sounds like my p5/msp. But I'm not forging them heh.

Well, we're starting to get into the 70's here, no AC in the car so I parked the 'Speed and drove the 8 today... Wow! What a difference.

More door panel work...
47386da6f8f974bf4c9d55bf8dc644ce.jpg

a988ba371a627e1136af3bd472e9db57.jpg

I need new door panels. At least the "upper portion" of the door. From having sat out in direct sunlight with no protection for a summer, they are sun-bleached. That's also what finally did in my front bumpers repaint. Oh, and after removing the 03.5 wing, you can tell a huge difference between the color then and now. :(

Back