2016 CX9 Owners Thread

SDL

I have the same problems but I have noticed the system seems to be more stable (less crashes) if I don't plug anything in the USB port. I had an iPod plugged in and noticed the system crashed more often. Just using bluetooth connected iPhone for telephone and music streaming right now. Do you use the USB for anything in your car?

Unfortunately, the reason why I began using the USB is because how unstable it was while connecting to my phone. I figured by not using the phone's Bluetooth audio, it would be better. And it was for a few weeks, then the crashes returned. I honestly think it's something to do with the Bluetooth connection. It all started when I first paired my Bluetooth (which I have unpaired and paired again since then). Even while I was on the phone with customer service from Mazda, my phone was losing connection. It would disconnect and connect. I disabled contact syncing this morning b/c sometimes that gets hung up.
Something in the process when you first turn the car on and the phone is syncing causes the screen to go blank. You can still keep talking/listening to music, the infotainment system works, but the screen won't come back to life. Today, it happened as I started driving, so I had to wait 15 minutes until I got a red light to turn the car off/on. Hard reboot did not work.
Note: Using a Nexus 6P.

So in California...

In California, a vehicle is presumed to be a “lemon" by the Song-Beverly Consumer Warranty Act if, within 18 months of the vehicle's delivery to the buyer (or 18,000 miles on the odometer):

2 attempts or more have been made by the manufacturer to repair a warranty problem that could result in death or serious injury.
The manufacturer has attempted to repair the same warranty problem at least 4 times.
The car has been out of service for 30 days or more for repair to warranty problems.
Problems to the vehicle are not the result of abuse by the owner.

For this problem, the first case would be hard to argue, but the second wouldn't. I'm taking this car to the dealership 4 times exactly...after that, I'm shoving it back in Mazda's throat.

http://www.dmv.org/ca-california/automotive-law/lemon-law.php

I honestly don't think it's an electronics problem. It's their software. I already disabled contact downloading since that seems to take forever and I thought it was causing the hang up, but nope. The dealer wants the car for a whole day, which is hard when you need the car to go to work!
My frustration is with Mazda not taking this issue seriously. .

I discover weeks ago is not related with the phone exclusively because the reboot happens to me when I only have an USB connected with mp3 music as well (not an smartphone). And one day, happens even when I have nothing connected so is a native design issue.

Anyone having some noise (clunking) from front of car going over speedbumps? The backend sounds normal. I'll take it in to dealer but just wondered if anyone else has any noise.

So in California...

In California, a vehicle is presumed to be a “lemon" by the Song-Beverly Consumer Warranty Act if, within 18 months of the vehicle's delivery to the buyer (or 18,000 miles on the odometer):

2 attempts or more have been made by the manufacturer to repair a warranty problem that could result in death or serious injury.
The manufacturer has attempted to repair the same warranty problem at least 4 times.
The car has been out of service for 30 days or more for repair to warranty problems.
Problems to the vehicle are not the result of abuse by the owner.

For this problem, the first case would be hard to argue, but the second wouldn't. I'm taking this car to the dealership 4 times exactly...after that, I'm shoving it back in Mazda's throat.

http://www.dmv.org/ca-california/automotive-law/lemon-law.php

I would say it's definitely a safety issue if a driver was using the GPS and infotainment system just blacks out, the driver may get distracted or nervous enough to take his eyes off the road for a second and crash.

I got the highest MPG I've had for my 19 mile trip to work this morning. I babied the car to get it that high.

IMG_20160824_065841.jpg

CX-9 review, not very technical, but basically saying CX-9 is on par with luxury $50K SUV's,

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/brian-moody/2016-mazda-cx-9-whats-the_b_11668930.html

funny how most non informed reviewers compare CX-9 to luxury brands like Acura and Lexus when it's really competing against Toyota, Nissan, and Hyundai etc, that bodes well for the new CX-9, means it's way above it's class :)

BUT as everyone will agree the infotainment needs to be fixed, rebooting or shutdowns after the system has been released 3 years ago is totally unacceptable. I wonder what the infotainment software engineer must be thinking, "this thing is absolutely not ready for primetime, it should not be released" but management released anyway to meet deadlines and profit margins at the cost of new buyers.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the reason why I began using the USB is because how unstable it was while connecting to my phone. I figured by not using the phone's Bluetooth audio, it would be better. And it was for a few weeks, then the crashes returned. I honestly think it's something to do with the Bluetooth connection. It all started when I first paired my Bluetooth (which I have unpaired and paired again since then). Even while I was on the phone with customer service from Mazda, my phone was losing connection. It would disconnect and connect. I disabled contact syncing this morning b/c sometimes that gets hung up.
Something in the process when you first turn the car on and the phone is syncing causes the screen to go blank. You can still keep talking/listening to music, the infotainment system works, but the screen won't come back to life. Today, it happened as I started driving, so I had to wait 15 minutes until I got a red light to turn the car off/on. Hard reboot did not work.
Note: Using a Nexus 6P.

Same experience here with me. I have used two different iPhones (6plus and 6s) and had the same crashes. Here is what is working best for me so far -

No USB. Guaranteed crashes if I keep an iPhone or iPod plugged in to USB. The quick start guide for this car warns to always unplug sub before starting the car to avoid crashes! Crashes are black screen that will not reset and/or soft crash to Mazda logo.

Only sync a smaller set of contacts - for me about 20 favorites. Boot up is faster and I can imagine syncing 300 contacts every time I start the car will only make matters worse.

Bluetooth for telephone and music. I still get Bluetooth drops but not as often. I also get a lot fewer crashes than using anything USB.

Don't try to interact or change anything on the system until it has been given a few minutes to boot up. Changing music sources, songs, etc might seem ok but the navigation might still be booting up in the background.

Here is the weird one - and unscientific as well. After you quit using USB give it three or four days of driving and then notice if crashes are reduced. When I stopped using USB I was still getting crashes for a few days, then they reduced and recently the system has been pretty stable. I was even able to use navigation to get to a destination without a crash! First time for me with that.

Will see if things remain as they have been in the last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

where? I don't have the option to disable it, I think.

On the Home screen, click Communications (center), scroll down to settings, and it should be in there. I'm not near my car, but if you can't find it, I can write step by step instructions later.

Same experience here with me. I have used two different iPhones (6plus and 6s) and had the same crashes. Here is what is working best for me so far -

No USB. Guaranteed crashes if I keep an iPhone or iPod plugged in to USB. The quick start guide for this car warns to always unplug sub before starting the car to avoid crashes! Crashes are black screen that will not reset and/or soft crash to Mazda logo.

Only sync a smaller set of contacts - for me about 20 favorites. Boot up is faster and I can imagine syncing 300 contacts every time I start the car will only make matters worse.

Bluetooth for telephone and music. I still get Bluetooth drops but not as often. I also get a lot fewer crashes than using anything USB.

Don't try to interact or change anything on the system until it has been given a few minutes to boot up. Changing music sources, songs, etc might seem ok but the navigation might still be booting up in the background.

Here is the weird one - and unscientific as well. After you quit using USB give it three or four days of driving and then notice if crashes are reduced. When I stopped using USB I was still getting crashes for a few days, then they reduced and recently the system has been pretty stable. I was even able to use navigation to get to a destination without a crash! First time for me with that.

Will see if things remain as they have been in the last week.

This is exactly what's happening to me. Initially I had no USB, it was crashing with my Bluetooth and phone. Stopped using the phone and the crashes went away. Then began using the USB and it was fine for a couple weeks. Never unplugged it.
I try not to interact, but lately that doesn't even help. I've been playing podcast on my usb, so not sure if it has issues with the big music files?

So far for me I have 2 issues with the infotainment system. First one was when it was really hot outside, the unit would not turn on until it cooled off. My vehicle faces the sun most of the day when parked in my driveway and it was the first drive of on a really go day. I haven't had that happen again since I have gotten ceramic tint on the windshield. Second time was in the parking lot of a store. Just gotten into the car and had the USB plugged in like I normally do. Music was playing but nothing was showing on the display. I was able to stop, turn the car off then back on and noticed it was booting up very slowly. I have an iPhone 6S Plus and have always started the vehicle them within about 15-20 seconds plug in my USB. Haven't seen a problem otherwise. This is on a 2016 Signature CX-9. I have not been on any long trips (more than 150 miles one way) with the navigation system so can't say how well it will work in that situation.

Anyone having some noise (clunking) from front of car going over speedbumps? The backend sounds normal. I'll take it in to dealer but just wondered if anyone else has any noise.

I have noticed this as well. Please let us know what you find from the dealer. I'm assuming this is considered normal behavior but would like to know for certain.

So far for me I have 2 issues with the infotainment system. First one was when it was really hot outside, the unit would not turn on until it cooled off. My vehicle faces the sun most of the day when parked in my driveway and it was the first drive of on a really go day. I haven't had that happen again since I have gotten ceramic tint on the windshield. Second time was in the parking lot of a store. Just gotten into the car and had the USB plugged in like I normally do. Music was playing but nothing was showing on the display. I was able to stop, turn the car off then back on and noticed it was booting up very slowly. I have an iPhone 6S Plus and have always started the vehicle them within about 15-20 seconds plug in my USB. Haven't seen a problem otherwise. This is on a 2016 Signature CX-9. I have not been on any long trips (more than 150 miles one way) with the navigation system so can't say how well it will work in that situation.

Well, this is fourth day in a row that the screen goes blank. Funny thing is, it only happens in the mornings, when the car hasn't been used in a long time, and in my case, not hot at all. I unplugged the USB yesterday, but did have music playing via Bluetooth my Nexus 6P this morning. It also happens when I start driving, so there's no way for me to ever get the screen back on, unless I shut iff the car.
Taking it to the dealership tomorrow. I have little hopes in a resolution. They said if a software update/reinstall didn't fix the problem, they might have to install a new unit, which I'm trying to avoid, the car never feels the same once it's taken apart.

So here's my update after going to the dealership...

Dealership checked to see if there were any updates and said there was an update available for my car (more on that later)....after telling me they would take an entire day, they were done in about an hour. Their diagnostics was incompatible phone.
They checked Mazda Connect System and found no codes stored. Then, they checked the Mazda website and found my phone (Nexus 6P) was not on the list of compatible devices (who knows when was the last time they updated that list). They gave me the number for Mazda Hands free customer care. I explained the situation and they said it was a system issue. Gave me a case number and asked me to perform a factory reset on the infotainment system and call back to document. If it happens again, I need to take it to the dealership so they can take another look at it. The explained that the phone should be compatible, at least with the basic features.
Note: After I left the dealership, I realized they hadn't installed any updates, went back to the dealership and they told me they were wrong and that was for another vehicle model and I had the latest OS version for CX models.

^This begs the question about compatible phones. If a year old Nexus 6P isn't compatible now with a new car, what happens to ALL cars and their infotainment systems 5, 10, 15, even 20 years down the road when the car is still in use? These systems will undoubtedly be useless. They won't be updated past a certain point.

^This begs the question about compatible phones. If a year old Nexus 6P isn't compatible now with a new car, what happens to ALL cars and their infotainment systems 5, 10, 15, even 20 years down the road when the car is still in use? These systems will undoubtedly be useless. They won't be updated past a certain point.

I think that was a escape goat...It's just a bad software...or perhaps I have a bad system. I did the factory reset just like they asked and of course that fixed nothing. I haven't had a blank screen since the factory reset, but I can see other symptoms the system had, like crackling while on Bluetooth (static on the background) and the buttons not responding, i.e., unable to hang up the call with the hangup button on the steering wheel.

i could've told you they were wrong...i have a nexus 6P and it hooks up fine. the bluetooth drops once in a while but far less now so long as 1) i turn the WiFi off on the 6P and 2) i keep the phone cooled down.

Can anyone post the length of the cargo space with the third row folded down from the back of the second seat to the latch? Also, the width between the wheel wells.

My 2008 CX9 was about 48" deep and about 46" wide. I'm trying to determine if the loss of cargo volume is going to be a problem as this would be our long car trip family hauler.

Thanks.

Can anyone post the length of the cargo space with the third row folded down from the back of the second seat to the latch? Also, the width between the wheel wells.

My 2008 CX9 was about 48" deep and about 46" wide. I'm trying to determine if the loss of cargo volume is going to be a problem as this would be our long car trip family hauler.

Thanks.

With the 2nd seats slid all the way back(leaving the least amount of cargo area) you've got 50" of usable length measured going down the center line to the latch but not all the way to the latch, more so to where the rug ends, so that 50" is usable if you were sliding a box in. You can get as much as 61" if you slide the seat(s) all the way forward leaving no leg room for a passenger(s). You could do this for instance if a baby seat was on one side, you could slide that side forward because you don't need the leg room. It's larger than the quoted cubic feet measurement would have you believe, dependent on the type of cargo you normally carry. As some folks have noted the space is somewhat lost by a higher floor due to the spare being in the vehicle under the trunk floor. The other space is simply the lower roofline. We haven't had to pack it to the limit yet but for all the stuff we normally do the cargo space and flexibility with the sliding seats has been great. Sorry I don't have the width off hand. I know the length because I was curious the other day when bringing a couple of long boxes down to UPS. We still have the Explorer and the box length didn't fit with the Explorer 2nd row up and I slipped right into "The 9" (as my son calls it).

Back