1988 Mazda GT-RAeX

SpeedE

So I haven't posted on this forum for a while now, well any forums for that matter, really. Just thought I'd share my project. It's taken me about 4 years to get to where the car currently sits and I'm so close to finishing my short term goal I can taste it.

***I'd like to add that in no way am I a pioneer in this swap. It's been done a few times and each time slightly different. I owe a lot of gratitude to the Yahoo Mazda 323 GTX group, Darrek at Corcksport for taking the time to talk on the phone with me when I first began, ClubProtege, Ford Laser, several facebook groups and many other sources.

My short term goal is to produce one strong (don't laugh, haha) GTR drivetrain swapped GTX running on stock BPD ECU with a BF GTAe body kit. (Hence the title "1988 Mazda 323 GT-RAeX") I don't know I thought it was kinda funny, haha!

Here's a little background on the car(s):

Purchased 2 1988 Mazda 323 GTXs in 2010 within 2 months of each other. I should've played the lottery cause I couldn't believe I found 2 GTXs in Texas on craigslist in such a close time frame, haha!

First is the red one bought in Houston bone stock with over 220K miles on the odometer and looked to be fairly well maintained even though engine lost compression in all 4 cylinders and transmission pretty much on it's last tooth. I was still able to drive it all the way home! Sale is actually pending to one of my good friends and fellow SMACC member who also owns a Speed6.

Second is the white one bought in College Station with over 140K miles on the odometer. Almost stock, except for boost gauge, AFR gauge, Momo hub and steering wheel, OZ wheels, solid shifter bushing on the tranny side, and glass sunroof mod. It had to be trailered due to bald tires and expired tags. This one I'm keeping and has undergone some modifications (remember it's still a work in progress so bare with me, haha). List as follows:

Engine and Drivetrain:
1.8 JDM BPD from Mazda GTR (passenger mount possibly needs modifying)
BPD Engine Harness and ECU (Waiting on wiring harness to be finalized)
GTR AWD Transmission (Still need to fab up the driver's side mount)
GTR Viscous LSD Center Diff
Complete JDM GTX Rear Subframe swap w/Viscous LSD

Steering/Suspension/Brakes:
BG AWD knuckles with 4x100 lug swap x4 (from JDM GTX)
New BG Tie Rod ends and Ball Joints
KYB GR-2s for BG chasis x4
Gound Control adjustable coilovers x4
Cusco Camber Plates for BF Chasis x4
Cusco Front and rear strut braces (waiting to arrive from Japan)
Protege Brake Booster (On hand, need to install)
Mazda 929 Master Cylinder (On hand, need to install)
Stock Calipers and Rotors from JDM GTX
Goodridge Stainless Braided Brake lines x4

Exterior/Wheels/Tires:
JDM Mazda GTAe grille and front bumper
JDM Mazda GTAe rear bumper (On hand, need to install)
JDM Side Skirts (On hand, need to install)
JDM Headlights and corner lights
EDM Fenders with side markers (Not sure if I'm going this route with JDM corners)
JDM Mazdaspeed MS-01R Gold w/polished lip 15x7 4x100 +35 (Needs refinishing)
Toyo Tires Proxes R888 205/50/R15

Interior
JDM Mazdaspeed Steering Wheel and horn button
JDM Mazdaspeed Carbon Fiber Gear Knob
Mazdaspeed Floor Mats from Mazdaspeed Protege
Mazdaspeed Pedals (On hand, need to install)

Future Plans
Paint: Whitewater Pearl (MS6 color)
Sunroof delete with functional roof scoop (Still debating on this...)
Fender Flares to compensate wider wheels
Larger front and rear sway bars
Poly Bushings everywhere (as much as I can find at least)
Full coilover kit with adjustable shocks/springs
JDM Mazdaspeed seats or Recaros (Still haven't decided)
Fully bolted with either Megasquirt or other standalone in hopes of 200-300awhp
Stronger gearbox solution. EIther EVO 5, Toyota Alltrac, or if I'm lucky to find one and have the money at the time an X-Trac, haha!
Eventually once a gearbox solution is found, I'll look into forged internals and shooting for a 400-500awhp little gremlin, haha!

I think that's about it for now. I may have forgotten a few things here and there. If anyone has any suggestions or constructive criticism, I'm open to any, but please don't be a dick about it! haha!

Pics:

JDM GTR Drivetrain

JDM GTR Drivetrain

My knob needs polishing, hahahaha!

JDM GTX Rear subframe:

JDM GTX Rear subframe:

Welcome back and thanks for all the great details and pics! (2thumbs)

Please do keep us updated!

Welcome back and thanks for all the great details and pics! (2thumbs)

Please do keep us updated!

Thank you, Antoine! And will do! Tomorrow I will be doing some more work on it and will post up pics after. My wiring harness should be shipped back to me Monday and hopefully arrive within a week or so. Still need to work out a few details but I should be able to get her running by the end of the month. Then next month is body and paint :-D

Awesome i just picked up a mazda 323 gtx myself and now i got another build to work of..... Where did u get the front bumper and grill

Thanks, congrats on your purchase. The bumper and grille I was lucky to find from a guy in Australia. I picked up the bumper, grille and side skirts for 500, but shipping was what hit me hard. I paid more for shipping than the whole lot, haha! There's a guy selling a pretty clean one on the Mazda 323 GTX Facebook group. But prepare yourself. It's a very rare, desirable, and expensive bumper because it's very functional when going FMIC. That's the downside to owning a GTX, parts are rare and sometimes expensive. But if you're determined, you'll find what you want and have a fun little car. If you're not already part of the yahoo GTX groups, club protg, Ford Laser, and the many Facebook pages, join up. There's a ton of good information on those sites.
Here's the GTX Facebook group. Request to be added and scroll down till you find the GTAe bumper for sale. Good luck, dude.
https://m.facebook.com/groups/211102012252587

Yea i figured it would be a pain to get the bumper set up but im definitely going to be asking some questions.. Your build is looking awesome car is coming along nice

Last edited:
Awesome looking work. Question though, why keep the white car instead of the red one? Looks to be in a bit rougher shape.

Yea i figured it would be a pain to get the bumper set up but im definitely going to be asking some questions.. Your build is looking awesome car is coming along nice

Hey thanks, man. I should be getting my wiring harness in a week or two. I still have a few things to sort out til it's ready to race :-D. I plan on Auto Crossing all next season and I wanna take it to Harris Hill this fall, or next Spring depending on the progess.

I'll be more than happy to answer as many questions as I can and point you in the right direction when I can't. I'll be the first to admit, though, I've got a lot to learn when it comes to hard core engine building/tuning so dont expect much outta me there, haha! Did you take a look at the bumper on Facebook? I believe he's asking $1000 which is what they're going for, and it's clean. But you could always offer less. Who knows.

Awesome looking work. Question though, why keep the white car instead of the red one? Looks to be in a bit rougher shape.

Thanks philrab, I appreciate the compliment. Everyone asks me that!!!! Hahaha! And you're absolutely right. But the white one has less miles ( not that It really matters since almost everything is getting replaced) it doesn't have cruise control, which is a little rare, I wanted the challenge, and basically I like white better than red, hahaha! I really wanna paint it Whitewater Pearl, same as the MS6. In fact, I have a quick update:

Turns out my friend isn't gonna buy the red one after all. So I'm planning on returning that one to completely stock and use it as a lil recreational cruiser.

Last edited:
No facebook lol im gonna wait on a bumper i plan to spend some money on get it running and cleaned up first harness needs some attention

I want to do a power steering delete is there a manuel rack for the 323 or should i just loop the hose

No facebook lol im gonna wait on a bumper i plan to spend some money on get it running and cleaned up first harness needs some attention

I want to do a power steering delete is there a manuel rack for the 323 or should i just loop the hose

I hear ya, Sucks cause I've spent more money on rare JDM visual mods as opposed to building the drivetrain, much less get the damn car running, haha! I applaud you for resisting the Facebook nonsense. I only use it for car related business, so it does have its benefits, lol.

As far as the manual steering, I really haven't researched it too much cause I was wanting to keep it even though I still need to find hard lines from a BG protg. Looping is always an option but I'm pretty sure the GTX didn't come with manual option. And I'm not sure if a manual rack will swap into the GTX cause from what I've gathered AWD and FWD BF were a competently different monster. I'll see what I come up with looking through the yahoo GTX group and let you know. I thought about deleting mine as well but never took the time do the research.

Anything new with the build.... Had a question or more less wanted to see if you had experience with walbro GSS341 fuel pump or cnt 400-341 fuel pump

Last edited:
Hey, sorry I haven't been on in a while and haven't had time to do anything to the car either. I'm going with that Walbro fuel pump, no experience personally, but its the one most everyone uses and seems to be sufficient. For fluids I'll be using redline throughout. I can't remember which kind goes where, haha! Once I find out I'll let you know.

I did receive my wire harness and it's really nice! I still need a slim fan for the radiator, custom brackets for the radiator, tap in the two sensors, and the custom driver's side transmission mount. I'm also converting the windows and side mirrors to manual. I've got everything to do it, just no time, haha! I'll post pics if I get a chance this weekend.

If you want to delete the power steering, just looping the hose is not the best solution. Look on SoloMiata.net and look at the steps to depower the rack. It does involve some internal work. And just a tidbit of info. I have a friend the races against Miata's and the depowered rack cars are slower around the track by seconds than the powered racks. Not that it matters though. No there isn't a manual rack for the GTX....all power steering. SpeedE it looks as though you are balls deep in the GTX sickness....kudos and like us all we will never ever recoup our investments.

Latest posts

Back