Ford ecoboost 1.oL

DanR

:
2014 Mazda Da2
Did anybody else read about Ford's 1.0L turbocharge ecoboost motor offering for the Fiesta? I certainly wish Mazda had something similar. This car woud be a lot more fun with an extra 24-25 hp/tg. Just throwing that out for comment.

When I was shopping for my new DD I drove the Fiesta SE 5DR with the 1.0 Ecoboost.

The Fiesta's acceleration was pretty impressive while getting on the FWY with three guys in the car. The tiny turbo was doing a good job. At idle the engine shakes a bit and the DI makes it sounds like a diesel but, I was impressed with the power, acceleration, and estimated MPG.

Cool little engine, but, it was the rest of the car that lead me to the 2.

Even though the 2 is underpowered, I preferred the appearance, aesthetics, and overall quality of the Mazda.

Mike

Did anybody else read about Ford's 1.0L turbocharge ecoboost motor offering for the Fiesta? I certainly wish Mazda had something similar. This car woud be a lot more fun with an extra 24-25 hp/tg. Just throwing that out for comment.

This has been a thing for awhile now, and I agree with Mike. While the 1.0L turbo engine is impressive for its size, the rest of the Fiesta felt a bit heavy and burdensome (I say that from my experience with the 1.6L Fiesta I test drove before I bought my 2.) The Mazda is just more fun to drive, and the lack of 20 horsepower can be rectified through aftermarket parts.

That's good news!

Mike

Here are some ideas for a hp boost:

- Injen/CorkSport air intake
- Racing Beat/CorkSport/Magnaflow Exhaust System
- Dynotronics ECU reflash

All of these should net you about a 30 horsepower gain, and probably better fuel economy. I feel these would be the least expensive, most reliable ways to increase power without radical modification or expensive turbo or supercharging.

I think you are being a bit optimistic there. On my MX5, which is a 2.0L version of this engine, a full PPL header exhaust, AEM intake and Flash was probably in the 15-20 hp/tq and most of that was from the header. The flash would definitely help with the RPM issues and improve driveability. I forgot how much improvement Hollis gained, but I thought it was more in the 12-15 with long tube and flash, but I could be wrong and quite frankly would like to be wrong if it meant getting that much gain from some bolt ons.

All of these should net you about a 30 horsepower gain, and probably better fuel economy. I feel these would be the least expensive, most reliable ways to increase power without radical modification or expensive turbo or supercharging.

All that will net you approximately 10 whp. Modern cars don't benefit nearly as much from simple intake, header, and exhaust modifications. Even the flash doesn't net you much and where it does is mostly due to the increased range of useable engine speed. To increase power beyond that you're looking at an exponential increase in modifications. The complexity and cost to achieve that means the Fiesta is now more cost-effective.

^^^^
Perhaps, but then you are stuck driving the Fiesta. :)

I'll take the underpowered 2...even though I enjoyed the 1.0L Eco.

Since I purchased the 2 as my DD, I'm not going to go crazy with mods (that's what my Mustang is for :)).
However, I could see myself doing AutoX in the 2. I greatly appreciate the info...I'll look into it!

Mike

Back