Protege5 - Show us your rust!

SoonP5ismine

Contributor
:
2003.5 MP5 Laser Blue Automatic (SOLD)
interested in seeing pics of your rusty p5

I am absolutely dissappointed in how easily rust takes over my car. my first car was a VW and it had 250000 miles on it and was about 16 years old when i got rid of it and it didnt have rust in any of the spots i mentioned in this post. My P5 is a 2003.5 model and it is almost completely rusted underneath. All suspension parts except struts are rusted. sway bars rusted, oil pan completely rusted, in the engine bay right below the passenger side engine mount is a rust spot about 4 inches in diameter, various pipes like ac coolant are also rusted also hood is rusting in one spot from the inside out. I will gather up some pics and edit this post and show my rust in the next few days.
Idea for this post started when i took my car to get alignment done and the rear camber adjustment nut and bolt snapped of at the alignment place. So if you have any pics of any rust on your P5 than please link to them or post them inline. and please mention the year and milage and if you want location where the car has been used most. Thanks.
I think that 7 years and 110000 miles is not that long to have the car rust like its been sitting in the ocean for all those years.

DSCF2866_resize.JPG

DSCF2872_resize.JPG

DSCF2873_resize.JPG

DSCF2874_resize.JPG

DSCF2875_resize.jpg

DSCF2877_resize.JPG

DSCF2876_resize.JPG

DSCF2878_resize.JPG

DSCF3514_resize.JPG

Last edited:
ok i added some pics. none of you has any rusty pics that you want to show?

WTF is up with all the magnets?
I put the magnets to collect metal particles that the oil filter doesnt catch. i know that the magnets were not helping the rust but at least the engine is much cleaner. when i took off the rusty oilpan and replaced it with a freshly sandblasted and painted one i noticed a considerable amount of metalic dust on the inside of the old pan and that tells me its working. so on the new pan i added 9 magnets to the inside of it. you can see here. http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/1227340/1/oilpan?h=304ab8 BTW those are extra strong magnets from computer harddrives that died and i took them apart. I think its a good idea.

btw, your oil filter is leaking...
hehe ya and its a mazda 929 filter. I use it instead of the small protege filters as it has more surface area and I use synthetic so i dont change it every 5000 miles like manual says. i go 8000 before i change oil normally.

I put the magnets to collect metal particles that the oil filter doesnt catch. i know that the magnets were not helping the rust but at least the engine is much cleaner. when i took off the rusty oilpan and replaced it with a freshly sandblasted and painted one i noticed a considerable amount of metalic dust on the inside of the old pan and that tells me its working. so on the new pan i added 9 magnets to the inside of it. you can see here. http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/1227340/1/oilpan?h=304ab8 BTW those are extra strong magnets from computer harddrives that died and i took them apart. I think its a good idea.

you do know they make drain plugs with magnets right that would do the same thing right...? Not a bad idea the old HDs but like i said earlier they make crap designed for out cars that do the same thing.

one year I decided to grind all the rust away and then put ruberized undercoating once every couple years

you do know they make drain plugs with magnets right that would do the same thing right...? Not a bad idea the old HDs but like i said earlier they make crap designed for out cars that do the same thing.
I try to have alot more magnets than a drain plug. and there is no way drainplug magnets are even a quarter of the strength of one of these.

do any of you have the huge spot of rust in the engine bay right below the left side engine mount? I have seen it on alot of proteges of the same generation and it doesnt matter the year.

one year I decided to grind all the rust away and then put ruberized undercoating once every couple years
I would love to do this if i had a lift. getting filthy dirty is something i dont want to do.

I have a hole a little bigger than a quarter where the arrow is:

Mine is close but if looking at that pic its right in front and below of the engine mount next to the timing belt cover. i will try to take some pics of the engine bay and post them soon.

Back