2016 CX-5 GT Navigation Updates!

If I remember mine only said United States but I will check when I get home. Thanks

Own CX-5 GT with all the tech packages. Stopped today at Mazda dealer, and asked about the upgrade from OS v.51 to v.55. He said that they have the v.55 for CX-3, and since the cx5 and cx3 have the same systems, the upgrade should work on the cx5. It sounds reasonable, but is it true?

Apparently, you cannot update your maps if you have the older Infotainment version installed. The dealer has to hook up the system to their computers to update the firmware. I am running OS 51.00.300 and I read that the new version is 55. I also saw that it takes about 15 minutes and can be done via a USB drive using files at mazda3revolution.com.

That said, I am not sure if I will do this or just have the dealer do it. Once the Infotainment is fixed, then the map update apparently can be done. This does not make sense to me but that is what I was told by my dealer.

Thoughts???!?!

SO I took the 2016 CX-5 to the dealer and they updated the Infotainment version to 55 but I was still unable to update the maps on the SD card. Apparently, the SD may have been corrupted from the update (so customer service says). Thus I was given an authorization code to take to the dealer to get a new SD card presumably with new maps on it. We will see and I will report back. Seems like a very roundabout way to get a map update. Very frustrating. At least the fuel pipe recall got fixed at the same time.....

I remember someone posting a link to customize your nav system. I updated the background.png image but can't find the damn image on the sd card to replace.
Has anyone done customization? Any tips?

Hope this is the right place to ask... I have seen some offerings on eBay for the cards, but the last alpha is different. Examples: BHP1 66 EZ1D vs BHP1 66 EZ1B -- Can the B be updated to a D?
Would either work? (2016 CX-5 GT non-tech).

EDIT: Nevermind, I was impatient and purchased one of the BHP1 66 EZ1D Rev 4 for $205. Hope to have it in a few days...

Last edited:
Navigation System a Huge Disappointment in an Otherwise Excellent Vehicle

Overall the navigation system is inferior to the ones I have experienced in the Toyotas I have owned and is a huge disappointment. It is clunkier and has a nearly-empty search database - it won't find a named business even though it is a short distance (blocks) away. Nav now comes free in certain versions of the 2016 CX-5, and is still overpriced. I do enjoy some of the features such as the color-changing speed limit icon, and announcements on where speed cameras are also can be helpful - although some of the programming about them is outdated. Being able to zoom in and scroll the screen are useful. Having the shapes of buildings in urban settings also can be helpful. But overall it is a bust.(flame)(scratch)

Overall the navigation system is inferior to the ones I have experienced in the Toyotas I have owned and is a huge disappointment. It is clunkier and has a nearly-empty search database - it won't find a named business even though it is a short distance (blocks) away. Nav now comes free in certain versions of the 2016 CX-5, and imo is still overpriced. I do enjoy some of the features such as the color-changing speed limit icon, and announcements on where stoplight and speed cameras are also can be helpful - although some of the programming about them appears outdated. Being able to zoom in and scroll the screen are useful. Having the shapes of buildings in urban settings also can be helpful. But overall it is a bust.(scratch)

UPDATE A week ago I uploaded the latest map updates and now the database is no longer empty. I live in Virginia and was able to search for and find a Starbucks in Nebraska.

The only issue I now have is that the system has trouble connecting to satellites at times (especially when it's cloudy), so it doesn't know where it is and therefore can't tell you where to go.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

UPDATE A week ago I uploaded the latest map updates and now the database is no longer empty. I live in Virginia and was able to search for and find a Starbucks in Nebraska.

The only issue I now have is that the system has trouble connecting to satellites at times (especially when it's cloudy), so it doesn't know where it is and therefore can't tell you where to go.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Yes! And it announces red light cameras to me while on the freeway! It appears to be triggered by the red light camera on the frontage road next to my freeway location. Not a biggie but it makes me laugh every time.

Last edited:
just checked the infotainment OS on my 2016 GT and it begins with 51, not 54....not sure why the dealer didn't update on my recent service. based on this thread, I'm going to wait to do the Nav update until I can get back to dealer for the OS. is that my best plan? the Nav has blanked out on me a few times while driving.....

Hello All
I have a 2016 CX5 GT, At times the navigation gets stuck. Some times its the music system that fails to respond. Switch off the ignition and start the car again, everything is back to normal. Anyone experienced similar issues ?
My car is only 1 month old. I have the latest software installed. Please advice.

Finally.....updated map SD card........2016 CX-5 issues with updating NAVI system.

SO I took the 2016 CX-5 to the dealer and they updated the Infotainment version to 55 but I was still unable to update the maps on the SD card. Apparently, the SD may have been corrupted from the update (so customer service says). Thus I was given an authorization code to take to the dealer to get a new SD card presumably with new maps on it. We will see and I will report back. Seems like a very roundabout way to get a map update. Very frustrating. At least the fuel pipe recall got fixed at the same time.....

First off, the dealer would not give me a new SD card although I had authorization from the Navigation help people at Mazda. They decided to update my original card (didn't work), replace the CPU in the car (didn't work), update the firmware (didn't work), etc.........

So after 4 trips to the dealer and the service folks not listening to me, I demanded that we try a new SD card. Amazingly it solved the issue and I finally have updated maps. The issue is that the first SD card somehow got corrupted and the only fix is a new SD card (after they finally listened to me to just try a new SD card- what do you know, it worked in 10 seconds while the other card just sat and the navigation tried to load for ever with a spinning wheel of death). Fortunately, this was all under warranty. That said, make sure that the service folks actually take the car outside and see if the navi system loads. Mine did not and, in fact, the clock was wrong- this was a tip off that the GPS was not working. Swapping out a new card was the trick.

Now I am going to try to back up the new card before I hit 62 miles and thus have a VIN free copy to use as a backup. I have a SanDisk Ultra 8GB (Class 10 SDHC Memory Card Up To 40MB/sec) and hope that I can make a back up. I read somewhere that I need to format it in FAT32 but I will verify first.

The trick is that the car system must be in NAVI mode before ejecting the SD card. If you do not do this and try to update, I believe you will somehow corrupt the SD card and it will not update. I need to verify this. More reports later....

Does anyone know if the latest map for the 2016 CX-5 is still December 2015? Rather than keep removing my SD card, I keep checking the Mazda site and I still see Dec 2015 as the latest map update. Mazda is supposed to update maps twice a year but this link still shows Dec 2015: http://infotainment.mazdahandsfree.com/navigation-updatemymaps?language=en-US

I downloaded Mazda Toolbox and updated my map in Dec but they should have updated the map again in the Spring. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I just picked up a 2016.5 CX-5 GT, the salesman said there should be a map update coming out shortly...

Hi I'm new to MZD Connect. Is there a button in Mazda Toolbox to "eject" the SD card properly after a map update (or any other data writes to the card)? TomTom HOME (for earlier CX-5 model years) has a "device eject" option. thx.

I've got CX-5, Navteq based navigation. Downloaded and started the Toolbox, saw the available updates and started the update process. It was all good (took a long time), but at some point I've got "server connection issues" and when restarted the Toolbox and started the update again, I end up with "no free space" message and process halted. Now I have some kind of partially updated content. I see, for example, Bulgarian map (my country) missing from SD card content.

My question is: how can I move the content to a larger SD card, if it is possible at all. Then eventually restarting the "update".

Unfortunately, I haven't made a backup, because on screen it was looking ok - Your card is recognized, license is valid, updates are available, etc. Nothing suggested that space is not enough on my card.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Plamen Petkov

Back