Spied: 2017 Mazda CX-9

Interesting. Not only is the Auburn leather only available in the Signature trim, but that's the only option for Signature. I'm surprised they can't do the upgraded black leather for the Signature trim. Also, the exterior colors are more restrictive in the Signature line than any other model -- you can't even get the Soul Red in the top model.

good catch, you would think they would offer a nappa black leather version, I'm not too crazy about the auburn color, anyway like others have said it won't have Apple Carplay or Android Auto, so I'll pass and maybe consider it once there's more reliability data and crash test data

just my opinion, but I prefer the 2013-2015 styling.... front end looks sleeker, new cx-9 is similar to Durango styling which isn't a bad thing, just not as sleek looking

also, notice if you stand perfectly perpendicular to the new CX-9 side like in Avidien's picture,
that nose sticks out like a sore thumb and profile of front looks stubby in reference to the windshield,
all the ads for the new CX-9 show the side view at an angle so we don't notice it.
And OMG, what is it with Mazda and those ugly wheel side plastic fender moldings,
hate them on the current one and the new one, it makes the car look like the base model
especially the white color where the contrast is pronounced.

Last edited:
And OMG, what is it with Mazda and those ugly wheel side plastic fender moldings,
hate them on the current one and the new one, it makes the car look like the base model

Agreed. Hated them on my MINI. Hate them on everything else. I'd rather deal with some paint chips than that black plastic that looks like crap after a couple of years.

Interesting. Not only is the Auburn leather only available in the Signature trim, but that's the only option for Signature. I'm surprised they can't do the upgraded black leather for the Signature trim. Also, the exterior colors are more restrictive in the Signature line than any other model -- you can't even get the Soul Red in the top model.

First, I can't believe it's April and they are still calling this a '16 model.

I have mixed emotions about the Signature model. It's nice to see that they don't force you to get that model to get active safety features, HID headlights, and other features that Honda and Toyota reserve only for top of the line models. Signature just looks to be about an upgraded interior -- and they throw in AWD to boot. I'm curious to see the price difference, because I don't see anything truly compelling in that package (to me at least) over the GT.

Also, it would be nice if they had heated rear seats and vented front seats somewhere in the line up. Pretty much all other competitors have this now.

Fender moldings is not a mazda thing...it's a cuv, suv, off road wanna be thing...pretty much all cars in the segment have this. In my opinion it makes for a much better looking profile. On my subaru it was an option which I didn't get but I'll admit side by side ....same car with moldings looks way better. To each it's own. I don't mind either way. What does offend me is square wheels wells on some gmc suvs. It goes against basic understanding of aesthetics and design and just hurts my eyes. I wouldn't by a car with those ever

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

First, I can't believe it's April and they are still calling this a '16 model.

I have mixed emotions about the Signature model. It's nice to see that they don't force you to get that model to get active safety features, HID headlights, and other features that Honda and Toyota reserve only for top of the line models. Signature just looks to be about an upgraded interior -- and they throw in AWD to boot. I'm curious to see the price difference, because I don't see anything truly compelling in that package (to me at least) over the GT.

Also, it would be nice if they had heated rear seats and vented front seats somewhere in the line up. Pretty much all other competitors have this now.

Signature

Starting at 44,015*
+ Nappa leather seating and interior
+ Genuine Rosewood interior trim
+ Leather wrapped steering wheel with red box-stitching
+ Standard i-ACTIV AWD
+ Grille and Interior LED Accent Lighting

Yes... $$$ for Rosewood, Better leather, Red Box stitching, I-Activ AWD and LED grill and interior... but if you attach a $ value to each of the signature options, it is not excessive.

Hard to believe that the Loaded 1995 RX-7 (21 years ago), had a $41-42k MSRP...

Last edited:
Fender moldings is not a mazda thing...it's a cuv, suv, off road wanna be thing...pretty much all cars in the segment have this.

Fortunately my new Durango does not have this. Trends can be either good or bad. Unpainted plastic cladding is a bad one in my view.

Unpainted plastic cladding is a bad one in my view.

Agreed !! see below for difference between base unpainted grey plastic versus color matched bumper, the difference IMHO is huge... can see the cutoff between nice paint than ugly plastic cladding

and I honestly don't think there's that many CX-9's that go off roading, so really no need for the 360 degrees grey plastic cladding

Agree with Drogos, worse than grey plastic is square fenders, just hiddeous

When I was buying cx9 I was eyeing local 08 with all black cladding painted to white...it looked as if it was pimped by 12 year old....it'll take that top audi with proper gun metal wheels any day...to each it's own

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hi folks, I just registered on your site today because my wife and I are (were) considering buying the new CX9 now that we have a third child on the way. I might have some information nobody else has, and that is the rough date that the cx9 will be available at dealerships: July 1st. The short story is, I did some Googling, found out where Mazda's importing port facilities are at (East Coast Mazda vehicles enter thru Jacksonville, FL) then found a phone number, so I called them up with a question using a name of a salesman from a local dealership and got the manager of operations to tell me that they don't expect their first shipment of cx9s to arrive until June 15, then they get shipped immediately to dealers for a start sale date of July 1st.

I also wanted to post for those that care, that the new CX9 has 2 complete LATCH systems on the outboard 2nd row seats, a tether-only in the middle 2nd row seat and a tether-only on the passengers side 3rd row seat. The previous generation, as some of you know, had all of that except for no tether system in the 3rd row.

The fact that it doesn't have a 3rd LATCH system in the middle row is a deal breaker for my wife and something that the Pilot does have. It's too bad because the CX9 is a damn nice SUV from what I've seen and I'd love to get one some day.

I came across this information after weeks of calls to corporate Mazda trying to find out this safety information because I needed to know if we should even be waiting for this vehicle to come out or pull the trigger on a pilot. Mazda eventually sent me an 18 page .pdf from the "unapproved" safety section of the owners manual that shows all LATCH system info. I will try to upload that to this website later if anyone cares.

I also wanted to post for those that care, that the new CX9 has 2 complete LATCH systems on the outboard 2nd row seats, a tether-only in the middle 2nd row seat and a tether-only on the passengers side 3rd row seat. The previous generation, as some of you know, had all of that except for no tether system in the 3rd row.

The fact that it doesn't have a 3rd LATCH system in the middle row is a deal breaker for my wife and something that the Pilot does have. It's too bad because the CX9 is a damn nice SUV from what I've seen and I'd love to get one some day.

I'd never try to change anyone's mind regarding vehicle safety, specifically carseat safety. But it makes you any more comfortable you can do some internet searching on LATCH vs. Seatbelt installation of carseats. You'll find that when you install a carseat properly using a seatbelt, it is just as safe as a LATCH installation. The LATCH standard was created because because it is simpler than using a seatbelt to secure the carseat. They found that many people did not properly use the seatbelt and LATCH is a little more idiot-proof. But if you take the time to secure the seat properly in the middle seat of the second row with the seatbelt and use the LATCH tether, you should be good.

Hi folks, I just registered on your site today because my wife and I are (were) considering buying the new CX9 now that we have a third child on the way. I might have some information nobody else has, and that is the rough date that the cx9 will be available at dealerships: July 1st. The short story is, I did some Googling, found out where Mazda's importing port facilities are at (East Coast Mazda vehicles enter thru Jacksonville, FL) then found a phone number, so I called them up with a question using a name of a salesman from a local dealership and got the manager of operations to tell me that they don't expect their first shipment of cx9s to arrive until June 15, then they get shipped immediately to dealers for a start sale date of July 1st.

I came across this information after weeks of calls to corporate Mazda trying to find out this safety information because I needed to know if we should even be waiting for this vehicle to come out or pull the trigger on a pilot. Mazda eventually sent me an 18 page .pdf from the "unapproved" safety section of the owners manual that shows all LATCH system info. I will try to upload that to this website later if anyone cares.

That is some pretty dedicated sleuthing.

I'd never try to change anyone's mind regarding vehicle safety, specifically carseat safety. But it makes you any more comfortable you can do some internet searching on LATCH vs. Seatbelt installation of carseats. You'll find that when you install a carseat properly using a seatbelt, it is just as safe as a LATCH installation. The LATCH standard was created because because it is simpler than using a seatbelt to secure the carseat. They found that many people did not properly use the seatbelt and LATCH is a little more idiot-proof. But if you take the time to secure the seat properly in the middle seat of the second row with the seatbelt and use the LATCH tether, you should be good.

I agree with this. When we had our twins, our vehicle at that time didn't have LATCH anchors, and I meticulously studied how to properly install carseats since I had 2 lives that would likely depend on how well I installed them. A properly installed carseat using seatbelts is every bit as safe as ones using the LATCH anchors and I would not disqualify a vehicle just because it lacked LATCH anchors in a specific spot. But, to each his own.

A properly installed carseat using seatbelts is every bit as safe as ones using the LATCH anchors and I would not disqualify a vehicle just because it lacked LATCH anchors in a specific spot.

Exactly.
Mazda will sell all of the CX 9s it will ship here.

You guys are preaching to the choir as to why we don't need 3 LATCH systems across, but my wife won't budge. I believe it's because she just doesn't want to consider the CX9, but.... I have 4 year old twins with a newborn on the way. I frequently consult www.thecarseatlady.com and have read about seating considerations in a setup like this. Unfortunately it looks like we would have to put the newborn on one end and then put the twins side by side. Additionally, the car seat lady says to watch out for seat overlap if the car seats with anchors are too close to the traditional car seat belt location. We still don't know if the cx9 has this overlap issue, but I think it does.

You guys are preaching to the choir as to why we don't need 3 LATCH systems across, but my wife won't budge. I believe it's because she just doesn't want to consider the CX9, but.... I have 4 year old twins with a newborn on the way. I frequently consult www.thecarseatlady.com and have read about seating considerations in a setup like this. Unfortunately it looks like we would have to put the newborn on one end and then put the twins side by side. Additionally, the car seat lady says to watch out for seat overlap if the car seats with anchors are too close to the traditional car seat belt location. We still don't know if the cx9 has this overlap issue, but I think it does.

You are barking up the wrong tree. Twins in boosters + New born = Minivan.

Regardless, I'd make sure to bring your boosters and baby seat to the dealer for the test drive of each car to make sure that all 3 can fit in the spots you intend them--and leave room for your toddlers to buckle and unbuckle the seatbelt themselves.

Last edited:
Back