Mazda5 real-world Mileage numbers

I would say my driving is 95% highway. I have been observing +/-28mpg since buying the van in February.

My last tank calculated to 31+ mpg but I am 100% certain the tank did not fill all the way, the needle was at 1/8 tank it only took 11.6 gallons.

am I the only one with the worst mpg number? 2014 Mazda5 GT/Auto. average 15.5L/100km, 18.2mpg. 100% city/stop and go driving.

Like to beat everyone off the light? :) I'm in Richmond and car hardly ever leaved the area, get about 11l/100km-12l/100km depends on the day.

About half a tank on my first 283KM, trip meter says approx 230KM left. So much for SkyActiv if the 5's is already matching my former CX-5 GT 2.5L. :)

Got my first numbers in since having the car
2006 auto
Just a tad over 25mpg (50/50 mix between city and highway) on this fillup. Will update if I take it on a road trip.

Not bad and glad I went with the Mazda5 over the MPV. Just seems to fit me better. ;)

am I the only one with the worst mpg number? 2014 Mazda5 GT/Auto. average 15.5L/100km, 18.2mpg. 100% city/stop and go driving.

Have the same configuration as you ('14, GT, AT) since Oct with about 5000 km it currently. My city/hwy has been mixed in the past since I used to frequent Bellingham before and less now. If 90%/10% hwy (typical ratio for a tank with a trip to Bellingham) I'd get maybe 11-12L/100km. For all city driving, I'd get between 12-13.5L/100km. Kind of a shock coming from a '00 Civic Hatch were I got 10L/100km but I understand I'm comparing apples to oranges here.

I've been very cautious about my driving habits since getting the 5 and I know it has made a difference in the fuel economy but overall I'm still little disappointing with my numbers. I'm hoping it'll improve over time.

Just got 30.5mpg out of my 08 5AT. 95% highway averaging about 70mph. It just turned over to 146k, so I'm pretty happy with the MPG. I changed the plugs at 75k per owners manual and planned on changing them again at 150k. Using the stock plugs, anyone have an opinion on their true life?

Last edited:
We live in the city and most of our driving is short hops, also this area has lots of traffic jams. We are also subject to cold, cold weather in the winter, and of course our GT is an auto. These conditions obviously negatively affect MPG. Although we aren't hypermilers by any stretch of the imagination, we are pretty conservative drivers though, not much racing light-to-light or WOT acceleration. I also keep the tires inflated in the 38-40 psi range. The data is about as accurate as possible - We only fill the tank completely (no partial fills), and I have adjusted the mileage accuracy via GPS testing. The odometer is about 3.44% "slow", and my calculations take this into consideration. Last comment - when new, my wife's commute was all non-rush hour highway. Now she takes the train and the 5 is almost entirely used for city driving.

My findings after ~37000 miles, and discarding "outlier" (i.e., possible recording error) data:

22.56 - Lifetime MPG
34.42 - Best ever MPG (all highway, summer)
13.80 - Worst ever MPG (all city, winter)
20.97 - last 12 months average
25.80 - first 12 months average
21.49 - winter average (Nov-Feb)
25.07 - summer average (May-Aug)

Got about 28 mpg on last fill up with my '14 MZ5 Sport with auto. Drove mostly on the highway but also some on country roads and around town. Plenty of driving in the mountains of WNC. A/C on pretty much all of the time. Three adults and a baby (plus some cargo) in the car most of the time as well.

Ride quality and fuel economy will hopefully improve as I replace a cupped tire which should happen on Thursday.

EDIT: Ride is better indeed and, on most recent trip in late September, I ended up with about 30.5 mpg with mostly highway miles on wet flat roads of the Carolinas with A/C use and a good amount of cargo.

Last edited:
First post. :)

I've only had my 2013 5 Sport AT for 5 weeks now. Over the last 1855 miles, my mileage figures have been as follows.

City = 20.5 to 23.5 mpg.

Mixed highway/city = 25 mpg.

One pure highway trip with an estimated 650 lbs. of people/cargo at 70 to 80 mph = 27.5 mpg.

EDIT: All of this was with the AC running cold.

Last edited:
First post. :)

I've only had my 2013 5 Sport AT for 5 weeks now. Over the last 1855 miles, my mileage figures have been as follows.

City 20.5 to 23.5 = mpg.

Mixed highway/city = 25 mpg.

One pure highway trip with an estimated 650 lbs. of people/cargo at 70 to 80 mph = 27.5 mpg.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the purchase!

I just purchased last Friday (07 Sport) and after topping off the fuel on pickup, I've finished my first tank and wasn't all that thrilled with the milage. I only got 22.91 mpg (283 miles on 12.35 gallons). I drive about 60 miles to/from work round trip M-F. This weekend, I did drive the family around to church, hockey, stores, etc. just because the car was new to us. Work drive is all highway so I thought I'd at least be getting 26-28. I'll have to see if it gets better.

I just purchased last Friday (07 Sport) and after topping off the fuel on pickup, I've finished my first tank and wasn't all that thrilled with the milage. I only got 22.91 mpg (283 miles on 12.35 gallons). I drive about 60 miles to/from work round trip M-F. This weekend, I did drive the family around to church, hockey, stores, etc. just because the car was new to us. Work drive is all highway so I thought I'd at least be getting 26-28. I'll have to see if it gets better.

My first tank was about same. I say try a couple more times. You might have had old fuel in there if it was on dealer's lot. I'm now getting 27-30 mpg highway.

My first tank was about same. I say try a couple more times. You might have had old fuel in there if it was on dealer's lot. I'm now getting 27-30 mpg highway.

Good to know. That's what I was hoping, that it just sat for too long so it needs to work a few things out. By the end of next week I'll be through another tank so we'll see. In the past I've cruised the hwy at about 80 mph. I'm trying to keep it at 75 mph with the 5 so I can take advantage of the better fuel consumption.

Back