Seized Caliper and Torn CV Boot

:
mazda
I took a look under my car today to find the front driver's side caliper seized on and the passenger's side CV boot torn. I'm planning on replacing the caliper and CV half shaft later this week. The last time I bought a reman caliper from Autozone, it leaked and left me without brakes on a (luckily) quiet road. I'd like to avoid that this time. This time around, I want to get a Raybestos caliper (reman) and a Cardone CV half shaft. Any thoughts or reviews on those parts?

If it's not too bad, you can rebuild the caliper yourself for about 10 bucks. Orielly's carries the piston, and the rebuild kit can be bought from Rockauto. Total around 10 bucks.

I have had good luck with Cardone CV shafts.

I've found centric brake parts to be really good for the cost. Might be worth looking into from Rockauto.

autozone brake calipers are raybestos remaned with duralast thrown over the box the brake pads are made by centric or wagner depending on type and car most electric parts are dorman or bosch remaned or bosch new duralast is just a name thrown over another manufacturers part its just like walmart has equate and the real thing is sitting right beside it and the equate and real thing are made by the same people even though the equate one says its not

although sometimes it is better to get name brand; raybestos calipers may have high quality control than the duralast counterpart. i have 2 autozone calipers on my rear and so far after 3 months they have not given me issues. centric are great too as commenter above stated

(i replaced one due to seized slides that i had to cut off and were stuck in caliper, and a few weeks later i noticed my brake light come on while driving and i was low on fluid, watch the wheels for a few days and noticed the rear one on the side i had not replaced was now leaking so it got replaced)

Last edited:
Those are low grade parts that won't last nearly as long as OEM. But I would still use them because I don't think these cars are worth much more. Just file your receipts.

It's hard to know who really makes what parts. I've been through multiple 2 CV shafts and multiple front calipers from local auto parts stores because they failed prematurely.

Last edited:
i have seen raybestos stamped on calipers in the box at autozone. the DM's know alot about the suppliers and when your nice to them they tell you so i know quite a bit about what to and what not to buy there.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm doing the Cardone CV axle from rockauto and the brake caliper from Autozone. Ideally I'd go for the recommended centric parts, but that doesn't fit into my cash&time budget. I didn't see a How-To on the axle replacement so I'll take some photos for the forum.

Just a quick tip on the calipers: Typically the new/remans come with a tiny tiny tiny amount of grease on the sliders. While it's fine for the short term, its not enough to ensure they last as long as they could. Buy a bottle of disc brake slide grease when you get the calipers and add it to the pins. It should keep your calipers moving 10x longer than they would otherwise.

Just a quick tip on the calipers: Typically the new/remans come with a tiny tiny tiny amount of grease on the sliders. While it's fine for the short term, its not enough to ensure they last as long as they could. Buy a bottle of disc brake slide grease when you get the calipers and add it to the pins. It should keep your calipers moving 10x longer than they would otherwise.

agree 1,000,000 percent

Back