Does CX-5 always start in AWD?

That would be great to know! Thank you for taking the time to research this!! Per your video all that is needed is to know that wipers are "on", it wasn't clear if that meant intermittent or not.
I see that you have a '15,,,, wondering if dealers can update the ECU to recognize the additional inputs and therefore be "more predictive"!

It will be an easy rain test to see if there is a difference on mine with a jackrabbit start in the rain. My '15 system seems to have all the same sensors as your '16.

I too sense the front wheels slip a little when launching semi-hard from a stop. This happens well above freezing. However, I can't tell if the rear is reacting to the slip or that the slip is despite power sent to the rear.

The snow storm before last, my wipers became filled with ice and stopped functioning. I had them off for most of the drive on the snow... started using them again only well after the point were the road was completely clear of snow.

Last edited:
I see that you have a '15,,,, wondering if dealers can update the ECU to recognize the additional inputs and therefore be "more predictive"!

Even the 2013 CX-5 AWD uses wiper status, throttle position, etc. to decide how much torque to transfer.

Has anyone managed to do this in their AWD CX-5 yet?

If Im not mistaken, those model year STIs can dial in how much torque to transfer to rear and front. I believe they can set it up from 50% to 70% rear.

I prefer the Mitsubishi Evo 8 or 9 (CT9A chassis and 4G63T motor) . I had the Evo 9 with Michelin Pilot Sport Ultra High Performance All Season tires. Back in 2010 when we had that big snow storm in Chicago, with Evos 50/50 permanent torque split and Front LSD, ACD Center, and Rear LSD all wheals would lock and pull/push me through the snow. Even when grip ran out with 3 tires the 4th would with ever so slight grip got me through.

My Manager had the Acura MDX who bragged about its "Super H-AWD system . Well he got stuck in the alley because it only had rear LSD and front Open Diff. Before him i went through with some issues of almost leveling all 4 wheels off the grip but managed to pull through with 421 WHP (489 WHP on E-85) and somewhat grip.

I prefer full time power to the rear wheels. Im not arguing whats best, but thats what I prefer.

Im going to hold off and get winter wheels/tires this fall for the CX-5.

If I’m not mistaken, those model year STI’s can dial in how much torque to transfer to rear and front. I believe they can set it up from 50% to 70% rear.

I prefer the Mitsubishi Evo 8 or 9 (CT9A chassis and 4G63T motor) . I had the Evo 9 with Michelin Pilot Sport Ultra High Performance All Season tires. Back in 2010 when we had that big snow storm in Chicago, with Evo’s 50/50 permanent torque split and Front LSD, ACD Center, and Rear LSD all wheals would lock and pull/push me through the snow. Even when grip ran out with 3 tires the 4th would with ever so slight grip got me through.

My Manager had the Acura MDX who bragged about its "Super H-AWD system” . Well he got stuck in the alley because it only had rear LSD and front Open Diff. Before him i went through with some issues of almost leveling all 4 wheels off the grip but managed to pull through with 421 WHP (489 WHP on E-85) and somewhat grip.

I prefer full time power to the rear wheels. I’m not arguing whats best, but thats what I prefer.

I’m going to hold off and get winter wheels/tires this fall for the CX-5.

That is some scary HP in a car that size.... I have my limits. :)

Back in '14 my nephew wanted me to take his new Hayabusa out for a spin..... I'm too old for that near death experience.

I think the most impressed for ice traction I ever saw was some old American iron from late 60's/early 70's. I can't remember if it was an old GM or Ford...anyway... chains on all 4-wheels and full lock. The guy was towing a horse trailer into the back country. It was a like a mountain goat considering the large trailer he was towing as well.

Most CX-5 owners have a brain and wouldn’t want to do it.
I guess having fun and having a brain are mutually exclusive. Or maybe it's being a douchebag and having fun are mutually exclusive (uhm). Being able to do a spin like that say a lot about the AWD system, power and suspension.

Yoke attempts to move in any gear except for park, with brake fully depressed. ~6:50 wot pull to 1-3rd.

Last edited:
Yea, I know the speed 6 guys replace the rear diff mounts with stiffer versions. I might just fill mine with urethane, it does move quite a bit..

I guess having fun and having a brain are mutually exclusive. Or maybe it's being a douchebag and having fun are mutually exclusive (uhm). Being able to do a spin like that say a lot about the AWD system, power and suspension.

Pretty sure that video of the STI is of one being converted to RWD as neither of the front wheels are being driven.

Just an observation but searching Google for hits a few years back we can consider AWD system of CX-5 next generation of Active Torque Split All-WheelDrive from some of the early review articles. Even in this 2016 CX-5 brochure they reference the AWD system as ATS --->

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-05%20at%206.31.36%20AM.jpg

CX-3 comes out and ATS is renamed ---> i-ACTIV AWD
and system on CX-5 is renamed as well in online marketing. Brochures still show the old name.

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/musa2/pdf/brochures/2016/2016_Mazda_CX5_Brochure.pdf

Just an observation but searching Google for hits a few years back we can consider AWD system of CX-5 next generation of Active Torque Split All-WheelDrive from some of the early review articles. Even in this 2016 CX-5 brochure they reference the AWD system as ATS --->

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-05%20at%206.31.36%20AM.jpg

CX-3 comes out and ATS is renamed ---> i-ACTIV AWD
and system on CX-5 is renamed as well in online marketing. Brochures still show the old name.

This is the main reason I wondered if our (CX-5 owners) have the same system as the new CX-3 folks! They (Mazda) are proud to say i-Active in their CX-3 but not the CX-5. Always wondered if the CX-3 system was a bit "smarter" than ours,,,, IE: more sensor inputs, Etc.

They do appear to be the same system with same number of sensors and it dates back to 2013 CX-5...on the Mazda home page--->

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-05%20at%2010.06.25%20AM.png

Not new info, but another source
It draws on information from data points around the car like brake fluid pressure, steering angle, incline, traction and slip, wiper activation, and even outside temperature then calculates at 200 times per second (referenced against pre-determined parameters) to know exactly what the torque split should be, instantly and at any given moment.
http://www.mazda-motors.com/news/mazda-ice-academy-trial-by-ice-and-snow-cx-5-cx-3-and-mx-5/
Again, talking about the 3 and CX-5

Wait so what kind of awd is all the many other types of cuvs that the cx5 competes against? Are they not predictive? If not, how do they then know how to activate awd?

Back