MP3 intergration

Using a 32 GB memory stick with about 70+ folders (albums) from a Windows 7 PC, the Mazda screen only lists the first 30 albums - so I cannot play any of the others. Has anyone else had this problem - and is there a way around it?

Using a 32 GB memory stick with about 70+ folders (albums) from a Windows 7 PC, the Mazda screen only lists the first 30 albums - so I cannot play any of the others. Has anyone else had this problem - and is there a way around it?
Have you tried voice recognition? Hit the talk button on the steering wheel, wait for the beep, and say "album -name of album-" eg "album joshua tree"

I also have a 32 GB stick with a lot of folders. It takes forever to load the info, but when it does I can see all of the albums (hundreads). My problem is navigating trough these albums: the system is VERY slow to scroll. I find voice recognition helps a lot.

As far as your problem goes, what is the stick format (FAT32 or NTSC)? Have you tried another stick? Are all your files standard MP3? If you delete the first 30 albums, do the others suddenly appear?

just bought 2014 cx5 grand touring/tech pkg. same problems that with usb drive starting from file one. it drives me crazy. car is great but little problems is very annoying. should have done more research. you would never expect a 30k car to be like this.

Resume after off / proper shuffle is easy to do. Give me the source code and I'll do it.
Load time is more difficult (but doable), unless they will provide a way to skip metadata indexing, or do it only on demand, such that if you add songs you'll need to sync it before it knows about them.

The problem is that there is no will to fix. A mentality that you bought a functioning product that is not broken, so they don't need to make it better.

This is so annoying.
I got my CX-5 two weeks ago. I also got a 128GB mem stick, which I am having a hard time to make the infotainment system read.
It did read it the first time, relatively quicly. Second time, when I had included many more files in it, did not read it at all: it took forever and never got to play.

It's two days I am trying all sorts of combinations (different - 64GB - mem stick, riducing the complexity of the directory tree, etc.) but it seems to me it is the nr of files that is making it hard to read.

This is ridiculous in 2013. Honestly.

Seems some have the restart problem, while others do not.
Does the base and Bose system act the same?

The difference is between the 2013 and 2014. The 2013 does not have the restart problem, but does not support playlists. The 2014 supports playlists, but has the restart problems. One step forward, one step back... Not exactly evolution.

Mine always restarts where it left off when I turn the car off and back on, it doesn't matter if it was 5 minutes or 5 days. The only time it starts over at the beginning is if I unplug the drive.

I wonder if part of that was the folder structure on the drive. I've had up to about 12 GB of music on my 16 GB drive and at most it took about 5 seconds to start playing music when I'd start the car. But I just drag each individual album to the main directory on the drive since it doesn't help putting them in any other way. I use the small USB drives that only stick out a half inch or less and the first one I used was somewhat slow even when using it just for files on the computer and it took maybe a couple seconds more to load each time I'd restart the car.

I do wish it had some way to do those things with a USB drive but I am happy it at least has the USB as our Mazda3 doesn't.

Here's the drive I've had good luck with:
pny-micro-sleek-attache-8-gb.jpg

http://www3.pny.com/category_buymulti.aspx?Category_ID=459 They only show up to 8 GB on their site but they have a lot bigger. I haven't tried anything over 16. I like it because it doesn't stick up too far so the tray can sit above it and I don't have to worry about catching it on anything as easily.

My first USB drive was a no-name one that was even smaller and it would occasionally have errors and the player would crash and switch to radio. This new one has been trouble free.

All my files are MP3s at 320 kbps and work well.

Trevor
Mazda Accessories

I use a verbatim 16Gb drive even smaller than that

http://www.verbatim-europe.co.uk/en_1/product_store-n-stay-nano-usb-drive-16gb_12881_0_44495.html

works a treat on my 2013.

Apparently there is a FIX for the MP3 startup problem. I have a 2014 CX-5 and I use a USB stick with MP3's. It worked, but annoyingly, restating at the first song every time the car was restarted. Initially I just lived with it.
With about 5000 miles on the car, the bluetooth just stopped working, the option was grey-ed out on the screen.
I took it into the shop, and the mechanic said normally they just reset them, but he said there is a new module available, and he would order that for me. I didn't mention anything about the USB/MP3 issue. As I was waiting for the module to arrive, I noticed that the USB/MP3 wasn't working at all either. It took about 1 week to get the new module, and it fixed the Bluetooth, and the USB/MP3 is working better, now it starts up wherever it last stopped, wonderful. Work done under warranty, no cost to me.

Sadly I was mistaken. It remembers were it left off, only if the car is off for a short time ~3 minutes.
Any Longer than that, and it re-indexes and starts at song #1 again.
Really bush league programming, I think any 10 year old could do it better.

I just started using the USB drive and I'm having problems with the music not starting with the song that was last playing after shutting off the car. I see some of you do not have that problem. Is it because of the flashdrive I am using Scandisc 16GB. In reading the direction, it says I should change my audio to radio and not keep it on USB before shutting it off. Is this true or can I keep it on USB when shutting it off and if it is true, what would happen if I do keep it on USB, sorry for all the ?s, and am really enjoying this forum and reading all the interesting info that is being said on here. Also, pushing the Shuffle button, is the music really shuffling, I notice that after each song, it just goes to the next number and doesn't skip numbers. Thank you in advance for any answer I will be receiving.

I just started using the USB drive and I'm having problems with the music not starting with the song that was last playing after shutting off the car. I see some of you do not have that problem. Is it because of the flashdrive I am using Scandisc 16GB. In reading the direction, it says I should change my audio to radio and not keep it on USB before shutting it off. Is this true or can I keep it on USB when shutting it off and if it is true, what would happen if I do keep it on USB, sorry for all the ?s, and am really enjoying this forum and reading all the interesting info that is being said on here. Also, pushing the Shuffle button, is the music really shuffling, I notice that after each song, it just goes to the next number and doesn't skip numbers. Thank you in advance for any answer I will be receiving.

I assume you have the 2015 or earlier.
USB playback always plays songs alphabetically when you start the car (very lame). I don't think there is anything to do about it.
Shuffle creates a new order for your songs and plays them in this order. So, if you had 5 songs on your flash drive, 1: song A, 2: song B ... 5: song E after you hit shuffle, it will assign new numbers, for example 1: song C, 2: song E ... 5: song B. So, when in shuffle you can still go back to hear the song you heard before, go forward etc.
Unfortunately, the shuffle function is not random enough, at least for me it produces only very few random orders. So, at least for me, if on 2 different days I start the car then hit USB / shuffle and >>, there is good chance it will be the same songs I heard yesterday, in the same order. There are a few of these shuffle orders and I am not sure how it chooses which one it shall use.

Back