5 Speed Gearbox oil change 75w-90?

And don't fill it until you see oil come out from the top plug. You need sth like 3.03 qt's of oil. The oil must be a bit lower than the filling plug.

Last edited:
It turns out i was a bit wrong.

It is 3.21 US qt.

bj3u.jpg

Last edited:
Why does it seem like everyone has a different viscosity for their gearbox oil? The above photo says 75W-90 or 80W-90. Others in this thread say 75W-85. My manual says 75W-80. What gives?

I used straight Redline MTL and it seems to work like stock, but I think the factory fill was a tad better. Hard to say. Does anyone have any info on what Mazda fills these gearboxes with? Also, my gearbox seemed to take nearly 4 quarts before oil was dibbling out the hole. I was really freaked out.

Why does it seem like everyone has a different viscosity for their gearbox oil? The above photo says 75W-90 or 80W-90. Others in this thread say 75W-85. My manual says 75W-80. What gives?

I used straight Redline MTL and it seems to work like stock, but I think the factory fill was a tad better. Hard to say. Does anyone have any info on what Mazda fills these gearboxes with? Also, my gearbox seemed to take nearly 4 quarts before oil was dibbling out the hole. I was really freaked out.

Well if you read the post above its not supposed to drip out.... I think you might of overfilled it. As for the weight I dont think it matters much but there is nothing wrong with following what the manual says

Well I read that as the most I can fill it is the bottom of the hole. I figure the oil can only get out as time goes on. It's just weird that that is different than literally every other manual I've ever filled.

I just changed mine with royal purple 75-90w at 50k miles. The shifts are really smooth now but the biggest change I noticed is how if feels when it goes all the way into gear. Instead of a firm thud at the stops it feels almost cushioned at the very end.

I can only imagine how bad the oil from my tranny is going to look. While I renew the oil in my transmission I'm also going to do a radiator flush and put in some 50/50 coolant.

For the radiator I just throw in Water Pump Lubricant and Rust Preventative (Barr's Leak). Radiator anti-freeze doesn't deteriorate and the lube keeps the pump happy.

John

Just wanted to point out something interesting I found out when replacing my transmission fluid recently. Some of us seem to use the front 23mm, although when I tried that she ended up taking closer to 4 quarts. O__O

I ended up looking through the shop manual and I found this.

Mazda2Transoil_zps6d5e74bd.png

(This is a top-down view)
This black plastic plug is found on top of the transmission towards the rear held in place by a 10mm bolt. Of course, when i pulled it, half a quart ended up spewing out. (doh)

Thought it was interesting Mazda put 2 plugs on our trans like that.

Edit: Also, like George pointed out, the Redline MTL/MT-90 mix i put in didn't feel any different from the factory fill. Guess I'm used to all my old beater boxes feeling all refreshed after a refill.

Last edited:
Yesterday I changed the gear oil in my Mazda 2 with 48,500 miles on the odometer. I used Redline MT-90, and now the gearbox feels tight and crisp. I've used Redline products in the past and I've always had great results.

Redline makes good stuff.

Random but I asked my local dealer and they said they dont have a scheduled interval for trans fluid they do it when it "gets dark" usually at 70k... that seems insane to me to wait til 70k. I wouldn't go past 30k in any car.

Redline makes good stuff.

Random but I asked my local dealer and they said they dont have a scheduled interval for trans fluid they do it when it "gets dark" usually at 70k... that seems insane to me to wait til 70k. I wouldn't go past 30k in any car.

That's not too far out of believable. If you don't grind gears you should be able to see 70k+ out of the transmission oil. It doesn't break down nearly like engine oil, so in actuality if you shifted perfectly it should last the life of the car. In the real world 100k+ is very possible with modern oil technology, but I would still recommend changing it at your first oil change, and then every 60k(if you are an 'average' driver).

Clearly its believable as that is the current service schedule for it. My point being how much does a transmission cost to rebuild? Now ask yourself how much does it cost to replace the fluid every 30k miles?

Preventative maintenance is much cheaper than major repairs. I would rather replace my transmission fluid twice as often as they recommend instead of potentially shortening its life span just to save a few bucks.

Just because a manufacturer says you can change your oil in 10k intervals doesn't mean its necessarily a good idea in the long run.

went with redline 75w-80 in mine at 31500 miles. Cold shifting is vastly improved, but other than that it was pretty much the same as factory fill. One thing to note is that the fill bolt opening is at a 45 degree angle pointing up, so you will definitely need to use a funnel/tubing.

If you do things by the book, you'll need to replace:

9951-11-800 drain plug
9956-41-800 drain plug washer

Back