My 95 Beater Protege, please help

MightyMazda2

:
2004 Subaru WRX, 95 Mazda Protege (beater)
Hey everyone I am a Mazda NoOb but I am very much into cars as I am on the Subaru forum with my 04 WRX. I picked up a 95 Protege that I couldnt pass up for $200 with 175k on it as a beater car. I am not looking to hook this car up but rather I have some questions regarding maintinance. I do not know much about the car (as far as what was done to it) as the guy was a prick but whatever it was 200$. After I fixed the exhaust or maybe before the car bucks slightly when driving. There are no CEL's yet I am curious to know other then an oil change and air filter change are there any known issues in the 95 Protege? I am sorry I do not have more information for you all but please help the best that you can, thank you

Jay

moved to the 2nd gen forum. hopefully these guys will be able to give you a hand. good luck with it!

well except for the fact that the 1.5(i imagine thats is what is is because the 1.8's are rare) is a underpowered engine; it is very reliable and as long as you do regular oil changes-it should last you as a beater

see if the intake tube is cracked. that could cause the bucking concern.

sounds good thank you, i am going to clean it up this weekend and vacume it also. i will check the air filter and the intake tube also.

does anyone know where i can get some good cheap seat covers for it for the fronts? nothing fancy...?

Ok yesterday after work I checked under the hood and the guy just did oil and a new air filter which is sweet. It appears he did new plugs and wires also by looking at the wires they are blue and dont look too old.

I noticed while driving in 4th and 5th gear when i didnt push the gas down too hard on the gas the car would buck. I checked the air intake tube and its flawless. Does anyone else know why the car would buck when coasting and would stop bucking when the gas is applied?

Jay

Ok yesterday after work I checked under the hood and the guy just did oil and a new air filter which is sweet. It appears he did new plugs and wires also by looking at the wires they are blue and dont look too old.

I noticed while driving in 4th and 5th gear when i didnt push the gas down too hard on the gas the car would buck. I checked the air intake tube and its flawless. Does anyone else know why the car would buck when coasting and would stop bucking when the gas is applied?

Jay

anyone?

Dude, this the hose that you checked out?

1AEIH00002.jpg

Cracks between the accordion looking part would flex (seal) during acceleration and unflex (open wider) when cruising. I've had this issue twice with my '92 Pro and the hose was always the source. Hope this helps..

1AEIH00002.jpg

Cracks between the accordion looking part would flex (seal) during acceleration and unflex (open wider) when cruising. I've had this issue twice with my '92 Pro and the hose was always the source. Hope this helps..

that was the tube i looked at but I will take a closer look. Did you replace the entire tube when it cracked or is it something that can be patched up with say ductape, lol?

I assume the tube cost at least $100 which I am not willing to put into the car considering it cost me $200 for the car

Jay

1AEIH00002.jpg

so last night i pretty much took that tube off the car to inspect it. I did not find any cracks or tears but the clamps seemed loose so i tightened them. I drove it this morning when it was cold and it drove smooth but when it warmed up it bucked again. I may have helped by tightening the clamps down but i cant think of what else the bucking could be from, do you have any other tips?

thank you

Jay

MightyMazda2, price of the hose is less than $40.00 but you said it was GTG. I'm almost outta ideas but have you checked out the MAF?

MightyMazda2, price of the hose is less than $40.00 but you said it was GTG. I'm almost outta ideas but have you checked out the MAF?

I have not yet checked the MAF, should i just remove it and make sure its clean? What do you suggest?

doesnt sound like a MAF problem, sounds like possibly a fuel delivery problem
with the milage and year, it wouldnt hurt to do the fuel filter and fuel pump if you cant verify the pervious owner did it

Last edited:
doesnt sound like a MAF problem, sounds like possibly a fuel delivery problem
with the milage and year, it wouldnt hurt to do the fuel filter and fuel pump if you cant verify the pervious owner did it

I spent $200 on the car do you think one of those fuel booster / cleaners from autozone will help at all? I was thinking what you said above also I just dont want to sink that much $ into this car its just a beater....

Back